Poll: GT4 or Mondial? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Birdman, Jul 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Poll: GT4 or Mondial?

1. 308 GT4

2. Mondial

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    Dont suppose you know where i can get a see through targa top for my 1990 exxy.....i think they are called Saratoga roofs?!

2. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    GT4 is great looking by itself. But the Mondial look more Ferrari than the GT4. I like the Mondial regardless of its underrated. With its open top form, it can pass for one the great looking Ferrari....

3. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    I just think the Mondial looks too long, sort of out of proportion!

4. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    [OT]
    every couple months the topic comes up about getting a batch remanufactured, but so far it's been just talk. getting hold of an original is likely impossible, so what's left is a custom job.

best place to ask around is Xweb, and here's a Saratoga search to get you started.
    [/OT]

just to be on-topic a bit... saw a great GT4 last week here in adelaide, on O'connell st north adelaide near the cinema. if i wasn't in a hurry i would have stopped to perve better. :)

5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dumb Poll

6. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I prefer the 308 GT4, it's faster than most Mondials, and handles better too.

7. fazzaz1

fazzaz1 Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Sam Scott
    I chose the 308 gt4 or the mondial. The 308 is one of the really underrated Ferraris. When they first came out they had awful bumpers and turned down exhausts and were just plain ugly. they were still called dionos because Enzo had said when the 246 came out that it was not a real Ferrari. At that time the pronouncemnt was a real stigma for both cars. In the mid 1970s I was one of the owners of the Ferrari dealership in Mississippi. The only reason we got a dealership was that Algar, then the importer had a warehouse full of Gt4s that they could not sell. They had begun converting them with Ferrari badges, Boxer paint, star wheels and fake 4 tailpipes exiting the rear of the car. Fake, I say, because the exhaust still exited out the botton sides of the faux tail pipes. the bumpers were also changed. this helped sales but when the 308 gtb came out in 1976, gt4s and Dinos were dead in the market.
    I had a gt4 and enjoyed it very much. It still had the dino badges and wheels. The power train was the same as the gtb and the performance was about the same. The only raps against the gt4 were styling and anemic air conditioning. But the gtb had the same air, only a smaller interior to cool.
    I had a gtb for 22 years but would like to have a nice gt4, one color with the old Dino wheels, even better if you could find a wide set from the chairs and flares 246. The style has grown on me over the years.
    I am told the Mondial is nice to drive but I have always felt that both performance and styling were very unexciting- not to insult anyone who loves Mondials, just my opinion. Having owned a Dino, gt4,gtb and now a 355, the performance of both 308s exceed the Dino and styling is a matter of personal opinion. The 355 is in a different league as to performance, which it should be.

8. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    How do you know? This is kind of a ridiculous statement unless by "most" you mean the "8". The T will literally blow the doors off of a GT4 and a 3.2 will kick some serious GT4 butt. My QV is far superior in every way to a GT4. It's newer and the technology improved with each year. The GT4's body was designed by Bertone. That is why many think that it doesn't look like a Ferrari, which technically it isn't. It's sort of between a Fiat and a Ferrari and most of them don't have the horsey, which proves my point. It's like saying that a Maserati is a Ferrari because the same dealer sells them. Now that will ruffle some feathers!

9. BERTONE

BERTONE Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2004
    THE NORTH
    Full Name:
    ENZO
    SO THE FACT THAT THE GT4 WAS DESIGNED BY BERTONE DOESNT MAKE IT A FERRARI??????

MMMMM.......

YOULL HAVE TO EXPLAIN THAT ONE TO ME!

10. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Hmmmm. Do you turn your own wrench? Which one is easier to work on and in turn is more reliable? Which weighs more? Which has more plastic in the interior? I can think of a few serious deficiencies with the mondial in comparison to my GT4. Which has less horsepower? My 75 is smog exempt in CA of all places, I don't think you can say that.

The T is a heck of alot more money and is more of a hybrid of the Mondial series, they have serious horsepower no doubt, but 400 more cc's too.

The last time I checked, Bertone designed cars are not doing that badly: MIURA, COUNTACH. Who gives a F about the horsey? Ever check the prices on the 246's? That engine was never shared in any Ferrari, but the GT4's 308 engine.....well, the rest is history you might say.

11. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Don,as Meatloaf sang"You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth"

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Hey, hey, hey here everybody...
    Let's calm down here. What's next, Dino vs non-Dino GT4s? :)
    They're both great cars, but even as the best mid-engine 2+2s they are squarely from different eras and have pluses and minuses for each. My analogy is one is like red wine and one is like white wine - just depends on you. I think the 'Miracle of the Poll' being so even is a sign from Enzo up above. All 2+2 guys need to stick together here, as we have the best cars for the road of anyone.
    And being a hybrid, I can say that. :)
    best to all,
    rt

13. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    I can't explain something I didn't write. Read my post again. The Bertone design was a departure from the more commonly used Pininfarina. Therefore, it looked different.

I did say that it was orginally badged as a Dino, not as a Ferrari. Please explain how this is untrue.

14. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    :eek:

this is just...., ow whatever :(

15. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Is turning one's own wrench the measure of a better car? How many owners of Enzo's turn their own wrench?

How about reliability? I don't need to tune carbs, therefore my car is easier to work on. My car is not smog exept. In California, any car built after 1975 will have to pass smog. My car is more environmenally friendly, as it burns quite clean.

I never attacked the Bertone design studio. I have always thought that the Miura was one of the prettiest designs ever. I think you GT4 owners are just a little sensitive. I never said anything derogatory about the GT4. I just listed some historic facts that you may not like to recognize.

What I originally asked of 208GT4 was for him to support his statement that the GT4 is faster and handles better than most Mondials, which I contend is ridiculous. Let's put Michael Schumacher in my stock Mondial '85QV and a stock '75 GT4 and I wager the Mondial is faster around the track. (Even though mine is a cabriolet and the GT4 is a coupe.) Since "most" Mondials are not "8's," I think this would disprove 208GT4's statement that a GT4 is faster and handles better than most Mondials.

16. HJ dinogt4register.com

HJ dinogt4register.com Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    almelo,holland
    Full Name:
    hendrikJan Letteboer
  17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    "How about reliability? I don't need to tune carbs, therefore my car is easier to work on."
    Uhhhh, not really. Just a different skill set and different tools. Once either is set right the key is just don't putz with it (unlike me) and they both do fine. As far as reliability best I can tell is that GT4s profit from being much simpler and Mondials profit from more modern technology (except for the @#$%^&* fusebox connectors). I wish my Mondial was lighter like a GT/4. The GT 4 guys would do well with the Mondial's rustproofing and Nikasil bore liners. The list goes on and on.

For my next trick, let's compare a 330 GT 2+2 with a 365 GT 2+2. Very similar in concept. :)

best to all
    Henry Kissinger

18. jscar71

jscar71 Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2004
    Montreal Qc, Canada
    Full Name:
    JScar
    Mondial for me, but again I own one so maybe my vote doesn't count.

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Actually, that brings up a good point. The only votes that really count are the ones that voted with their checkbooks. So, if we let this go on for ever, we would end up somewhere around:

GT4: 3666
    Mondial: 6149

The numbers would be a little lower because cars of both types have been written off.

Past owners wouldn't count, because if there was such a strong tie to the car, you'd still have it. Future owners, get your checkbooks ready and go vote!

20. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    If you're looking for that raw, '70s ride, with that cool wedgy styling.....the GT/4 is your car (it looks more like a Lambo than a Ferrari, IMHO.....not a bad thing if you're into Lambos, like me :)

A Mondial 3.2 or a T is also cool......I think a black 3.4 or a red/tan t-cab would be a very cool , refined car to have. A 348 motor on a long wheelbase 328 chassis isn't a bad thing...

Given that the cars are in different price ranges.....it is tough to make a pick.

21. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Apologies for the late response...but I based my statement on the following:

308 GT4 255bhp 1150kg 0-60 6.4s 2826 built

Mondial 8 214bhp 1400kg 0-60 8.6s 700 built
    Mondial QV 240bhp 1430kg 0-60 7.4s 1774 built
    Mondial 3.2 270bhp 1400kg 0-60 7.0s 1797 built
    Mondial T 300bhp 1430kg 0-60 6.3s 1875 built

So of a total of 6146 Mondials built, the 308 GT4 was faster than 4271 of them. Even if you include the comparatively slow 208 GT4 (180bhp 0-60 8.0s 840 built) the GT4s are on average faster.

As for handling, well I guess that's a matter of taste but I would rather have the extra rawness and feedback of the GT4 in favour of the refinement of the Mondial.

22. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Dan, just wondering (too lazy to look it up) but were all 208s turbo'd ?

I know the 2 litre was for Italian tax laws but I'm sure I read that they were turbo'd and 180 seems low for hp as the 2 litre that went into the FIATs had 195hp and they weren't tubo'd.

John

23. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    None of the 208 GT4's were turbos.

24. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks Judge, must have been the 208gtb that had turbo then.

funny how there was a drop in power from the 2 litre V6 which supposedly had 195hp but the 208gt4 only had 180 ?

25. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The Dino 206 had a 2 litre V6 with 180bhp.

The Dino 246 had a 2.4 litre V6 with 195bhp.

Hope that answers your question?

Dan