Poll: I Love/Hate my job | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll: I Love/Hate my job

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by UroTrash, May 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Do you love/hate your job

1. I love my job, couldn't be happier.

2. I hate this job, I'd quit in a heartbeat.

3. What is this thing you call "job"?

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I look at models all day, it is great until they start talking, then they want stuff from you. every one of them is more like a nagging wife or girlfriend. makes me wonder why i am dating one in the first place. :(

2. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After six months of intense looking and two years without a regular income, it's nice to be able to vote in this one! :D

I love my job, very challenging, surrounded by extremely bright folks...but it's only been two days....

Mark

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Well, several reasons. First, I rotated thru Plastics as a General Surgery intern, and it was about as far from what i wanted to do as you could get! Not one single patient was totally happy with the outcome, no matter how good, not one. The women were whiny and I felt as though I was wasting a gift and a trust (as corny as that sounds), "wasting" a surgical education on something as meaningless as that (I really mean no disrespect to your Dad, I promise). I have a friend who is an ENT and he describes it well as "they make you feel like you are a hairdresser".Further, all the other surgical specialities look upon Plastics kind of as a Boutique-y profession. Again no offense intended to all the reconstructive and burn surgeons who are not in that group.

Why urology? For me there was NO doubt it would need to be a surgical speciality, and Urology provided a lot of big abdominal cases but, selfishly, relatively gentle call vs general surgery or orthopedics.

It involves a lot of developmental abnormalities and I trained heavily in embryology.

The reality of it is this: It deals with cancer every day. There are literally hundreds of people who are cancer-free today because of my work. I see these people in the store, at church, around town, and what a feeling!
    I think it might be a little different than seeing a narcissistic wealthy woman with her breast aug or face lift.

Does it pay like plastics? Not even close. Will I leave a fortune to my kids? No. I'm not sure thats health anyway. But that's OK. I'm happy and proud of the valuable service I provide.

Finally, one of the best parts of Urology is that all the other docs expect you to have the best reservior of jokes and stories. Alot of patients bring in their best off-color jokes they have saved up. That makes it FUN.

4. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Just to clarify, Md is correct about every one being bithcy about anything dad ever did. Man they would complain.... But the trade off he said was he always got paid!!!!

Oh, and he also did OBGYN work too, but he trained in the 50's when you could do two professions I guess....

DrS

5. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    One has to like what they are doing, job wise. If not, it can reak havoc on your mental stability. If your job is just OK, ho-hum, then find a sideline of work to keep your work activity spirit up! I did this. I have a full-time sales manager position and run my new startup (18 months new) that will do an extra $400K this year and probably $1.0M next year.

I went to my current employer and formed a division within their company to sell into a market they never knew existed. They employ me and I made them a partner in my new business and pay them a percentage of the profits while they fully fund all of the products. It's a sweet deal that can be carved at most companies if you put your thinking cap on.

"Do what you love and the money will follow"

6. khughes

khughes Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    i'm around race cars everyday......and own two race tracks. but i have to admit enough is enough. the grass is not always greener.