Poll who’s moving to the F8 from 458/488? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Poll who’s moving to the F8 from 458/488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Nov 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Are you moving?

1. Nope happy with my 458

66 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Nope happy with my 488

52 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Moving from 458 to F8

15 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Moving from 488 to F8

23 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. larry rebelo

larry rebelo Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2018
    Full Name:
    larry rebelo

What an absolutely perfect observation !! I'm new to this forum and am debating same situation . This is spot on !

IloveGT likes this.
  2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Yeah maybe that will be the future Portofino but it would have to be a rag top I think.

3. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John

4. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    It comes down to what you want in a car. The 458 is a terrific car..........looks great and sounds even better. If sound is most important, keep it. But the F8 looks better, has better lines and is a LOT faster (and I mean a lot). It pulls so much harder than my 458 - not even in the same discussion. (keep in mind I never owned a 488). Try and find a dealership that has one coming and go drive it - by the time the test drive is over, you will have made your decision

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Exactly my thoughts

6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When the F8 was revealed I was pissed Ferrari cut a year off the “normal” five year life cycle of the 488. I then looked long and hard at the F8 and decided it was not worth the additional cost over the 488. The plan was to wait for the F8 replacement and purchase then if I liked the car.
    Now after further thought I may get off the “hamster wheel” and purchase used going forward. There are so many exotics out there coupled with numerous new cars from Ferrari I am concerned the rate of depreciation may be too high to stomach. Might even get a F12 due to the current pricing levels.
    A lot of good options out there.

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In terms of value typically one always gets more when buying used rather than new; it should then be the logical decision but buying a Ferrari does not really make sense anyway - so in the end the choice is very personal: it's about going through the configuration and ordering processes, and getting the most up-to-date model... and balancing that with the cost.

Caeruleus11 and OSUferrari like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

True, but then you have people like me. There are 20 Used 488 GTB's for sale currently down in Australia. NOT ONE would I have ever speced like they have. 9 are 2016 no warrantee. Checked out 9 of the for sale and actually heaps of scraps under the car. So im too pedantic second hand would only ever happen if it was perfect. So yes they say there are a lot of 488 GTB's for sale, but lets be honest its just a number thing because half are crap IMO for that kind of money

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Much different scenario in the states. About 150 for sale which will probably go up as the F8s trickle in and most of the used cars have barely been driven. A preowned 488 in the US is a pretty good deal right now and soon will even be better. The design of the 488 still looks current IMO which makes it a more difficult choice to update to the newer model.

Viper830tt, Jason B, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    There are plenty of good ones there, all very negotiable. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ferrari/488gtb/
    Take the first one 2018 at 490 which has been there since forever. That car would be real no more than 435 drive away based on what I took for mine (which had a few more options).....which is quite a hit considering what it cost new. This poor guy just isn't ready to accept his big pill yet but it's been dropping steadily from high 5's from where it initially began a long time ago. I know you don't like CF but 99% do but just don't like the cost, so buying a near new one with all the kit for 200K+ less than what the first guy paid is a very good deal indeed! I foresee the same happening with F8 at around the same time frame as how things unraveled for 488.....not going to be pretty.

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Yes I do agree plenty of cars at Great Value. I frankly believe the better deals would be private.

That car is really polarizing with the red interior though and paid a LOT for extras.

Shadowfax and Astrid.Didier like this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #37 Shadowfax, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Yep you've really got be careful how you spec an interior in a car like this - even the dealer says that - but some do get a bit self indulgent with the colored interiors and wind up taking a proper flogging later on. With that car it missed the mark for me as well but i'm sure someone will buy it once the price is right. It's like that Opaco GS car that's been there well over 12 months now. Started at 700 but needs to be @ 390 drive away. Opaco is extremely hard to shift from what I was told.....so someone made a very costly mistake with that one. Also think selling a car like this private would be virtually impossible... I'm told selling any car over 400k is very hard work unless the car is a special version and even those have come right back now.

Most buyers usually have a trade too which they always want far more than what it's worth, and then there's the finance and insurance etc etc. It's a dealer job really.

MANDALAY likes this.
  13. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    What would it cost to trade my 2012 458 Spider with 32k miles? I am guessing $150 k. I can buy a nice Porsche for that.

Shadowfax likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

A lot , but at least you wont be giving it to your government ! To have the same spec F8 as my 488 GTB 18 , I need to pump in at least 220 k AUD of that the Government will take about 150 K

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Maybe your way - yes you are very lucky - but 150 certainly won't buy you much of one (P) over this neck of the woods.....maybe a ropey old one perhaps. If you were trading the spider here you may see late 2's but on a new F8 that'd mean a tip in of @ 300++....not pretty.

16. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Love the all black (trying to keep it clean is another story)

Viperjoe likes this.
  17. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    How about anyone moving to F8 from another brand... . Went to take a look at the F8 (currently drive a 720 and others) and i thought the F8 was just about flawless.... very aggressive looking, perfect lines... it just looked mean... and, it’s blistering fast like a 720s. Interior ergonomics great... not much i could criticize... wont sell 720s for it but may add to stable. only item (and yes i deal with it with McLaren!) is depreciation. Dealer highlighted that we will continue to see more and more Fcars being produced with shareholder demands so new car price protection is gone that once was attributed to fcars... the question that i am dealing with is buy new and stomach two big deprecating cars or wait for a slightly used F8.... that said, wow... what a car the F8 is... this coming from a Mac fan. kudos.

price point around 720... maybe even slightly cheaper... dealer said nicely equipped for 340k... my 720 was around 365k.

18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It is gorgeous and drives so good, faster than a scalded cat and handles on rails. Love the newer interior as well.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Wrap it with a coated PPF, problem solved.

20. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    and dealer offered me march/april delivery slot.... decisions decisions

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Wow, the delivery dates are much faster now. Less than 6 months

22. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just purchased a 18 488 spider a few weeks back and I love it. I was kicking around the ideas of what to do for several months including waiting for the F8 spider. Just had the opportunity to view the F8 and listen as it was raining and elected to not drive. I do appreciate the new look except the rear not sure about on F8. Sides and front gorgeous.
    One thing the stuck out to me was on my new to me 488 I love the driving view over the hood with sharp creases over the raised wheel wells. It’s super aggressive. With the F8 hood design it’s more rounded and seemed less aggressive. From the exterior I also love the 488 hood and front splitter emulating the lines of an F1 car that is now gone on the F8. However the F8 front is very pretty and slightly better design but lost the F1 look. It’s all subjective. Sound was fantastic even though was just in showroom with a few blips. Seemed similar to 488. In all my decision came down to not wanting to wait 18 mo for F8 spider, received decent discount for a 2018 488 car with only 500 miles, and the increase power for me anyway on F8 didn’t seem needed. The 488 is super fast already and can have difficulty putting power down in first couple gears anyway. We are blessed to be here reading about this and to be contemplating this decision.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    #49 Jason B, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Good points here...But what do you think these incoming F8's will do to the value of the 458's? Seems to me most 458 owners weren't really into the 488 changes and kept there's, (you can see this from the results of the poll above) but, the F8 seems to be the winner as far as winning those 458 owners over. I've been looking at 458's and now really isn't the right time but wondering what will happen to those...

24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Every car will depreciate. Some more than others. Just buy what you love, drive the piss out of it and exchange for something else in the future.

Trying to predict depreciation is difficult if not Impossible. I thought I’d fare better than I did when I sold my 488 but it is what it is. I don’t lose sleep over it.

Gh21631 and buddyg like this.