Pontiac GTO Did GM Screw it up? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pontiac GTO Did GM Screw it up?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #51 wax, Dec 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    What about that cool-a$$ GTO that was pre-LeMans/Tempest? IIRC, the Monkees-mobile was based on that. That was a sweet ride (not the Monkees-mobile, the bigger GTO).

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    You're right Joe I forgot about that. Why build a decent car when you can build stuff that just needs to hold together until the warrenty expires and your customer is scared into getting a new car?

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    What's funny is that when I take a '67 gto pic, do everything photoshop-wise I can to update it to todays look - it comes out looking like a Chevelle SS

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    It would have been so easy for a good designer to do a really nice retro on that dark red GTO in the photo like the new Mustang or the C6 Vette. SHame, it seems they gave the GTO to the Asstech designer to screww up

6. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    So you want it to be totally retro i suppose? The new mustang doesnt even look as good as the concept, have you seen the official pictures of it now. Similiar but to me not as nice as that concept u posted. I dont think a totally retro GTO would sell year after year, but who knows its possible. I like old and new cars so its a toss up for me ill take either one. GM does build some great engines though, and I believe things are getting much much better. The new malibu is there to take on the camry and accord in quality its very close. But some people still dont like its looks.

7. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    That is a real bummer. I was actually very excited about it - first American car I've been excited about in a very long time. I will look for pictures of the official production version - I was really hoping that the concept was the final design :(

They always have to shoot themselves in the foot! Why Why Why.

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here is what is claimed to be the production version. Not awful, but not as sleek as the concept. Available Sept./04

P.S. I didn't say that I wanted the GTO to be totally retro.

9. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow, the Mustang looks like it lost something in the translation from showcar to production car. Pontiac did the same thing with the new Grand Prix. The show car looked cool, but the production one (IMHO) is lacking. Too bad.

10. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I read a story in the trade magazines that the team had run out of time and needed to put out the GTO even though the body style, tooling, and manufactoring was no where near ready to start the production line.

The company wanted the car in their line-up by a certain date, and if they had to give up the look of the car, someone at the top said "too bad".

I have alway put style first, so this car is the biggest flop I could ever imagine.

They think the car buying public will buy it just because of the name "GTO". I hope people are not that stupid.

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    See as i said the production stang doesnt look as good as the concept. It looks ok but still missing something and its very retro.

And the GTO will sell because its a v8 rear wheel drive six speed with great quality and 350 hp.

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

I guess if you like driving around in a car that looks like a Saturn.

13. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Oh my god there going to screw up the mustang too.
    If that picture is true it sucks compared to the first photos.
    Damn they make something look cool then right before it
    comes out, they screw it up and make it plain & ugly.
    I had hopes for the mustang, now they are all gone.
    Oh well not a big ford fan anyway.

14. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think the Mustang looks great, Cant wait to see the Cobra version :) or the roadster

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO READ THIS SPEEDY308, i got some damn flu/virus that tried to kill me for 3 days. anyway if i had RAM AIR IV coded car i would of course sell it and buy SEVERAL ferraris. i got $$$$$ for the brewster green 1973 SD455 i sold. i have had 2 RAM AIR cars. one a formula , the other a TRANS AM. i prefer the 1970 to 1973 and 1976 to 1978 cars with 4 speeds. i usually cut up the rest for parts unless they are " bandit" cars or are very original with paperwork. i can see a 308 taken apart next to my 4 speed vette and the candy red trans am......... ( joke guys ) hope to have one by summer if i still have a job. ( AEROSPACE lay-offs???)

16. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
    damn,the mustang show car looked awesome imo,but the production version...
    can't wait to see the real car with some 18" or 19" wheels and maybe lowered a bit.
    also i hope the next gen Mustang has a power glass sliding sunroof instead of that crappy center roof console or whatever.
    and i have seen photos of the Monaro with a sunroof so how come the beancounters got rid of it even as an extra cost option?
    btw,how come american cars G.M.,Ford in particular raise their cars asses so far as compared to the show cars?
    I know about bumper regulations and all that but all other manufacturers have to do the same and hardly any of them come out looking like a neon,as for the tire size well mass produced cars and compromises go hand in hand so i can understand the huge tire to fender gaps but geez.
    end of rant.
    Frankie

17. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Would you like some rice with that?

Sorry

18. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Pontiac should ditch that Grand Am grille. I like the look of the Holden much better. But the GTO design shows a total lack of balls or creativity.

19. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Good point. Let's remember that GM has in the last 15 or so years had Kitchen Aide Styling or worse. Interiors alone looked totally 70's low rent. Do we need even discuss Pontiac "styling?" Yes this is bland, but it is a first step AWAY from outright bad taste.
    (As one other poster put it so well, just my opinion, worth what you paid for it)

20. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Oh no, what a mess. Too many lines, rides too high...what IS the problem with US manufacturers?

21. francisco j. quinones

francisco j. quinones Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    Panama City,FL
    Full Name:
    Francisco J. Quinones
    No,not rice but at least a wheel/tire combo that fills the wheelwells and a lower ride height.there are a lot of american cars that look good but for some reason they come out with their butts waaaay up in the air,the competition have the same safety regs to deal with but i've yet to see any of them with rear bumpers up in the air.
    these cars have to have many compromises to please a large audience but...

22. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Here's a thought. Think back to the classic muscle cars, especially the GTO. What were they? Family cars with big power. John D. got the GTO started in a mundane Tempest package. Guys and gals drove 'em everyday. No fancy styling, lit up tires at will.

Like it or not, at least it's true to the original concept.

23. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    it's

B O R I N G.

I guess I might be too I guess Iguess.

24. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime

Dont ask him, tell him we need the "Blue Devil".

As far as the styling, I dont like it very much. I do however like the Holdens styling much more than the GTO. From what I understand the new GTO will be a blast to drive, with good power, and good interior to boot, but I would like to see it go on a diet. I dont think anyones adressed its weight problem. Isnt it 3600+lbs?

25. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    They couldn't even get the regular '03's working for christs sake! Of course they screwed this up. I looks hellishly stupid. Where's that 356 covered in mirrors woth 250,000? I'd pick that up instead.