Poor Scottsdale Ferrari Experience | FerrariChat

Poor Scottsdale Ferrari Experience

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by JohnsonsMedia, Mar 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JohnsonsMedia

JohnsonsMedia Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2009
    AZ
    My wife and I went to PHX to look at some new vehicles for her. While there I thought it would be fun to goto the Ferrari Dealership. Mind you we just spent lots of time at the Range Rover Dealership, and the others on that strip.

My wife and I walk into the Fcar dealership and dont even get a second look. Also we own a Ferrari already. I finally had to get the rude salesman's attention, he gave lots of attitude because I bothered him. I finally got to the service area and 1 guy, sadly I cannot remember his name, was really nice and helped me find the parts area. To which I encountered the next not so nice person. He was also pretty rude and turned his nose up at myself and my wife. I did ask him to get me a quote on a price for some parts. He said he would get it but it would take some time and to "go walk around" for a few minutes.

I understand my wife and I are young, but that is no excuse. 2 out of the 3 people were rude that we spoke to and the other people we actually saw in their office could not give 2 craps that we were there.

End of story is that I WILL NEVER SHOP THERE, and the only reason I am about to give Penske Range Rover a crap ton of money is because of the people there. But I know I will never buy any part, tell anyone to visit, or have anything to do with Scottsdale Ferrari.

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    I actually had a pleasant experience there recently. I told the salesman that I have a small independent shop in another state and just wanted to look around a bit. He pointed out a few things and basically left me alone. I went into the service area and introduced myself to one of the techs, Ron Merritt. We had a nice talk while he was doing some service on a 360 Spider. He showed me the Koenigsegg that he takes care of and recommended that I head over to the other Penske site to see the other one there.

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #3 arizonaitalian, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

I go there a lot...its only 2 miles away and I have a lot of free time :)

I have had fantastic service from them over the past 2.5 years when I moved here. Chris in sales has been a great source of information and an absolute saint with regard to letting me test drive cars (too many Ferrari's, Aston's and others to count) as I learn which one's I want to own...the sales guys are typically very low key. They won't usually come over to folks unless you ask them or make direct eye contact...tons of "lookers" and "fans" come in daily to simply view the cars and the sales guys have grown accostomed to simply letting them do so and not putting pressure on them by approaching them...I know that sounds weird (car sales guys at most dealers are usually all over customers) but I think it makes sense now that I've observed them a lot...

The service side has been nothing short of amazing for me...Russell is one of those guys that is just a natural at being in a customer facing role. He comes across as honest, knowlegable, humble, respectful and most of all - helpful. I sometimes think that folks here would not believe the things they do to make my exotic car ownership affordable and enjoyable. From the trips to my house to do work in my garage for minor things, to picking up my car when service day is here, to dropping me back home and getting me if I have it in service, to giving me a discount on service, to virtually always having the invoice come in for less than the estimate, to telling me to bring my own tires and battery charger since their parts costs are so much higher than I can get them, to offering me "trade" prices on parts. No surprises, fair (or better) value and very accomodating customer service....that's been my experience to date.

I know you had a different experience, and there is at least one member here that has negative views on the place, but I thought (since you posted your negative experience) I would provide this members' experience...

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I met Ron this week when I picked up my CS after a major and a few other items. He was fantastic. Very detailed, loved the car. Took a lot of time to walk me around the car and show me what he saw during the inspection. He even pointed out two minor things and said he did not recommend replacing them yet as they were still good. The interesting thing about that was that this was after the service advisor had told me about them via email and I said - "go ahead and do it". Turns out Ron said "let's not waste the customers money" and instead he wanted to show it to me when I arrived. Turns out he was right, there was no need to replace the parts. Honesty. Knowledge. What more can you ask!

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Sorry you had a bad experience there. But let me share a story from there a couple weeks ago.

I had to take my 612 down there for service. (Bad fuel sending unit - or something like that). I parked my car in the service area in a regular parking spot and walked into the showroom - before I headed to service. NOT more than 3-4 minutes pass, and a man and wife walk up to my car, open the door, and get inside. WTF???

I turned to the sales manager - who was right there next to me watching this as well - and told him about the nerve of some people. He said that sort of thing happens about a dozen times A DAY.

After that I went outside and locked the car. As for the husband and wife - they were just there looking about. And even after all that, the sales staff STILL asked them politely if they needed any help.

Now I have no idea what went wrong on your visit..but as for me, rather than get lumped into that big pool of tire kicking/door opening/not following the rules lookie-loos, I call ahead, get a name, and ask if I may come down and browse the cars (for any other Ferrari dealer I may visit).

6. I'm gone

I'm gone Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Phoenix,az
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I stopped in last week to pick up a Maserati going to Chicago and to see about getting another key for my car and my wife and I stood in the showroom all by our selves for quite awhile and we were wondering where everyone was until Chris came from down the hall to help us, I do have to say he was very polite, answered my questions, helped us after we inspected the car, just very,very nice!

7. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    I too have had excellent experience, but no direct service experience. Terry in service is great. The sales guys are laid back but have never failed me when I ask to drive something. BTW, I usually dress like one step above homeless in the Arizona style. Bill

8. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    I have been there 10 times, and every single time the air is filled with ****. The salesman suck. I own two ferrari's and looking for my third, and I would not buy from them. Myself and my wife do not even go inside anymore because we don't feel welcome. However, that said, I did enquire about some parts when I was there last, and delt with a parts guy who was awesome, he really enjoyed talking about cars. Really nice guy. These kids who work there should either get more proper training on dealing with customers, or maybe just get rid of them. Erogance does not add any value to a business, just ask an owner, if anything it will kill your business.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    LOL!

10. wtlaw

wtlaw Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    SoFLA
    Full Name:
    WT Law
    This is not a good reputation. They currently have a 430 that I would love to explore, but this perception pushes me to not to waist my time.

One more time, Who is the salesperson @ Scottsdale Ferrari that I should look for ??

11. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Today at the NSX forum this dealer again was getting bad reviews about a salesman and I myself had a bad experience with over the phone.

12. LukeF

LukeF Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2009
    PHX, AZ
    Full Name:
    Luke Frampton
    Link?

13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I've had an electrical gremlin with my 612 and Russell as well as the entire service department has bent over backwards to do everything they could to solve the problem - far and above what I've seen at other dealers of any marque...

14. flashman

flashman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    Star Valley, Arizona
    Full Name:
    William Rappaport
    After reading this thread, I just had to add my personal experience. When I first moved to Scottsdale in 1995 from San Francisco, the shop recommended to me by my Ferrari dealer in SF was Scottsdale Ferrari off of Hayden near the Air Park. They were great! It was a small shop, the sales people were always interested, and took the time to really get to know you. The service dept. guy was also one of the best. After they relocated to their now present location, everything changed, at least for me. I was treated so badly by their so called sales people, and my concerns with service for my car so totally ignored, that to this day, I will never, ever go back there. I have no idea why anyone that has any interest to purchase a Ferrari would want to be treated by people like that.

15. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    A mistake, it wasn't on this Ferrari dealer, but on Scottsdale Sport and Classic Motorcars. Same attitude towards customers, and I had a bad experience with a salesman as he hung up the phone when I said I had an offer.

16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Chris has been an excellent resource to me (sold me my Maser and has helped me test drive and decide which Ferrai's to get). I have not ever spoken with any of the other sales guys.

17. wtlaw

wtlaw Karting

Jul 28, 2011
    SoFLA
    Full Name:
    WT Law
    Thank you. I'll follow up this week!!!

18. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    Never purchased a car there, but have never been treated badly in the show room. Are there one or two people there that are a little aloof sometimes? Maybe just a bit. I always thought it must come with the territory. I can't imagine what you have to deal with in a F Car showroom to get to a bonafide client. Is that an excuse? No, but I get it... and again, it's never been egregious.

The service department has been truly awesome. Russell, Larry, Ron and the entire team there do their very best every time.

19. alterra16

alterra16 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Scottsdale, Az
    I will add that I have purchased a new maserati and a 458 from them. I have always been treated well and actually find it to be a nice place to just drop in and visit. Russell has been a great help to me and I am glad he is there. I am greatly looking forward to there move up north in the next couple months. It is like driving out of town from north scottsdale to the ghost town auto stores on McDowell. Demian and Chris are both great to work with in sales.

20. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    A friend and I spoke with Gary, they will be moving at the end of the year. I live right around the corner from the dealership, I live driving past and seeing the cars.

21. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    I wonder if this might change when the dealership is moved north.

22. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I don't see why this has been brought up yet again. My experience with Scottsdale Ferrari has always been pleasurable and top notch weather I'm buying a car, hat or just stopping buy to say hi.

It seems that the people that have these bad experiences and keep posting about it would have a bad time in a whore house with a bag full of cash and condoms.

John Schlitt and his crew are good guys...Nuff said!!

23. MarketGuy

MarketGuy Karting

Oct 19, 2011
    Anyone have an address or general area for their upcoming new location?

24. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Penske dealerships on Scottsdale Road just south of the 101. Where the Jag dealership used to be.