Porsche 356 | FerrariChat

Porsche 356

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Horsefly, Sep 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I found a 1963 Porsche 356 on a local car lot. Engine is a non original 2000CC. Car is completely intact and drivable. The paint is faded in spots but over all, the car looks complete and solid. Asking price of $6000. Any thoughts? Any specific problem areas on this model?

2. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Wow, that is really cheap even with the non-factory engine! Make sure it's not a kit car lol!

If not then I'd snatch that up.

3. Look for rust on the rockers, floor ,trunk. That's a good deal if it's not a rust bucket.

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm assuming it's a coupe (?) If it's cabriolet it's a raging deal. Really nice driver-level coupes can be had for $15K-$25K. Open top cars are substantially more.

Yes, rust is the huge problem with 356's, especially the floor pans and rockers. For $6K, if it's all there (and not all bondo), it's hard to go too far wrong. At worst, you could give it a nice paint job and probably make a few bucks selling it.

These are pretty simple cars. It's hard to comment not knowing what's under the hood, but if it's a later Porsche engine parts are pretty easy to find. Many of these cars have engines from Porsche 912's (the 4-cyl version of the 911 -- it may be the 2000cc engine, though I'm not sure.)

1963 is a fine year - I think it was the last round of gearbox improvements, but who knows what this car has in it now.

Check out europeancollectibles.com for some cars at retail/asking price.

5. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    The 912 engine was also 1600 cc. The 2000 cc engine is probably a VW engine from a 914.

It will never be worth much with the wrong engine.

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    That's what I was thinking. A bargain a first glance always seems to turn out to be a ho-hum deal. And yes, it is a coupe. I would probably be better off buying a friend's '67 XKE Jaguar 2+2 coupe with a Ford engine in it.
    After a while, I get tired of seeing nothing but mongrel vehicles and think it's probably a better idea to avoid them all. Fun projects but always second rate compared to the originals.

7. GT Fan

GT Fan Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2005
    Here's my vote for the most unexpected mongrel:

About 20 years ago, I was thinking about getting a Porsche 550 to vintage race. I saw one in Hemmings, all the ad said was "Porsche 550 with wrong engine."

I figured it probably had a pushrod 356 engine instead of the expensive and hard-to-get-parts-for Carrera 4-cam engine.

Or maybe it even had a VW engine.

Or, worst case, maybe it had a Corvair engine.

So I called the guy, and found out it had.............

A Pantera engine! 351 Ford with transaxle.

The guy said, "It's a little rough up front where we put the ducting for the radiator..............."

I didn't buy it.

8. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I'd have a PPI done. If the mechanic thinks it's in good enough shape to run for a few years, snatch it up. Drive it for a few years and sell it for a few grand when it gives out.

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    As I mentioned once before on another thread, about 25 years ago a local guy who loved diesel engines had taken an Opel GT and stuffed in a diesel tractor engine and transmission into the car! Half the floorboard was cut out to make clearance for several assorted levers and knobs sticking out of the transmission. That's my best "mongrel" find.

10. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The 356 Porsche was missing from the parking lot where it had been sitting. I called the owner and it was sold. It didn't last too long. Somebody must have thought it was worth the $6000. Oh well, more Ferrari money in my pocket if a bargain comes along.

11. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    Jump on it!