Porsche 993 C2 vs 993 RS | FerrariChat

Porsche 993 C2 vs 993 RS

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by MD355, Feb 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Can someone explain to me in details the differences between the two cars ?

If I ever wanted to convert my '95 993 C2 manual gearbox to a 993 RS (engine , suspension, brakes, look etc etc) what would be the steps involved and cost ?

I think the 993 RS is highly valued the same way the 360 CS , because it was the ultimate 993 expression (except turbo & GT2) and was produced in limited numbers .

2. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    The differences are comprehensive - engine from 3.6 to 3.8, varioram, gearbox has different ratios and is strengthened, body seam welded vs spot welded, lighter glass, aero, suspension enhanced, brakes enhanced (if I remember correctly, very similar to, but not exactly like, 993 Turbo brakes), soundproofing stripped, no sunroof, special RS bucket seats, RS single mass flywheel available, RS motor mounts, RS Speedline for Porsche wheels, etc, etc.

Rennlist has very comprehensive information on the 993 board, including some very good 993 RS "clone" builds. As with most of these things, the closer and more authentic you want to be to a true RS, the quicker the costs rise. If the goal is largely cosmetic, you can still find some OEM RS aero kits available, both Touring and Club Sport - but be prepared to pay up.

From an investment/returns perspective, it probably makes much more sense to purchase a true RS if this is possible if you are considering using true OEM parts. There are now quite a number in North America.

I have a number of 911s, the 993 RS stands out for the driving experience - "go-kart" like.

MD355 likes this.
  3. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    In your opinion, if I want to improve the handling of my 993 and make it more responsive like the 993 RS, and also make the exhaust note louder, what parts would I need ?

My guess is RS springs and shocks , plus RS Exhaust ??

My 993 is very nice and I don't want to make any irreversible modifications

I like the standard 993 C2 look

I just want to make the handling sharper and the exhaust noise louder , but at the same time stay with RS components (I don't want aftermarket)

What do you think ?

(If I bought a second 993 in rough condition I might consider stripping the whole car and making it a true 993 RS clone !! But not with my pristine car ;-)

4. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    Technology has moved on and there are now cheaper, and more efficient, ways to improve 993 handling and sound.

Bilstein PSS 10 gets practically universals approval, plus they are adjustable.

For exhaust, you can start with FD Motorsports mufflers; if not enough, you can add X pipes to that, with or without cats; and if you want even more exhaust noise, you can get headers from FVD or S Car Go; although some of the most respected tuners say the 993 OEM header is already very efficient.

The Rennlist 993 board is very active, and most members very helpful.

MD355 likes this.
  5. CarlosMM

CarlosMM Rookie

Sep 17, 2006
    Tokyo, Japan
    BBi is another good name for 993 tuning; they recently released a 993 Upright modelled after the 993 GT2 Evo part that allows lowering of the car to RS or GT2 height, or even lower.

6. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    Thanks for the info !!

I used to hang out at Rennlist, but guys there are not as nice as here !! LOL
    They tend to be a little sarcastic !!
    That's why I love Ferrarichat !!

peterp likes this.
  7. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I have the PSS 10’s on my 1997 993TT and like the handling improvement over stock. Ride can be pretty jarring over rough roads. Best of luck with your project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Island Time and MD355 like this.