Porsche 993 vs. Nissan 350Z | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Porsche 993 vs. Nissan 350Z

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mojo, Nov 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mnmblu

mnmblu Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2005
    Studio City CA
    Full Name:
    Alan S. Greene
    Congrats, now that is a smart buy. You will love yourself forever for buying it.

2. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    #52 motion, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    At around $30k-$40k, the 993 is one of the best used-car deals out there. Great performance, loads of fun, extremely reliable and you won't lose much money, if any, in depreciation. Compared to a cheap, plastic 350Z, the 993 is solid, feels like its machined from billet aluminum!

Mine :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. motion

motion Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    At the track
    Full Name:
    Motion
    #53 motion, Nov 21, 2006
  4. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Hard to disagree with people that agree with you! Thanks, all.
    Arrwin, I'll post up at Rennlist- it has been a while since I visited there. Thanks.

5. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Congrats Whart...she is gorgeous!!!

As for the 350Z, are they really that quick? I ran one on a road trip a couple of years ago from 70-130 and he could not pull past my door...BTW, I was driving a '76 911s with a 2.7liter...

I was not impressed by the Z. Maybe they are faster now??? I can't imagine a Z being faster than a 993.

Go with the 993. The sound of the air-cooled 6 alone is worth the price of admission.

6. feverman

feverman Rookie

Nov 21, 2006
    sure many new cars are faster than a 993. probably also a Z .
    dont forget a 993 is a 10+ years old car !!

funnier to drive ? more reliable .. ?? i really doub it ...
    good investment ... 100% sure !!!

7. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I doubt that guy was on it...bring your 911 down to New Orleans some time, I will show you how much faster than a 993 they are ;)

8. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    I think he was on it. My old '76 was a Euro car, and light as a feather. It really was a strong car little car.

Richard, Richard, Richard....I regret to inform you that the old 911 is long gone...however, if you would like to play with my modded 930, that can be arranged! :)

9. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    #59 richard, Nov 25, 2006
    One of my family members also has a modded 930...my Z is still faster although it is definitely more straightforward and boring to drive under normal conditions. Unless your car has substantial power upgrades I am not too sure on the result there. Either way I would love to check out your car! Next time I drive the Z back to New Orleans we will have some fun :)

Here are pics of both...

10. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Nice 930! Your Z doesn't look too shabby either!!! We will definitely have to get together sometime...

What all have you done to your Z???

I am seriously considering going EFI with my 930...

11. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I would like to see more pics of your 350Z and hear more about it also,
    Thanks

12. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Thanks...the 930 is pristine and not driven too terribly much...

the Z has a substantial amount of transmission and suspension work plus some NA power parts and upgraded brakes...that stuff is more geared for road racing than drag but it is respectable in a straight line. it also has some aesthetic stuff which you can see there (bodywork, wheels, cf race seats). The tires are a lot wider than stock. I run slicks on the stock wheels for road racing. I am a little faster in the Z around NPR than my friend with a modded C5 Z06.

13. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    #63 richard, Nov 25, 2006
  14. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Faster than a C5 thats Modded, very cool.
    Does it ride pretty stiff?

15. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    OK Richard...I want a shot at the title!!!

Based on what you are saying about your car (speed wise) I don't think you are telling us the whole story!!!! I am betting you have something neat under the hood too!!! ;)

16. jeff0181

jeff0181 Rookie

May 11, 2004
    N/Ait would be very hard to be faster than a c5z06. I have over 400whp and am running very close to a C5. Even though the Z is nimple, so is a C5Z06.

17. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Stiff as a board. Wears on my neck and back very hard if I don't turn the shocks down for regular driving.

Nah....no forced induction :) You can see for yourself when you check out the car. It is maybe a little faster in a straight line than a stock Z. I make it all up in the turns. I did 90% of the work and all of the tuning myself. I know the car very well.

I am not talking about a straight line. I am positive a Z06 would demolish my car in a straight line. I am talking about on a road course. I am very far from a pro at anything, but it is not hard to beat a car with 100hp more if you are a more confident or competent driver. Incidentally a C5 Z06 is by no means nimble!

18. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    #68 JSinNOLA, Nov 30, 2006
    ^
    I
    I
    I
    I

Richard tells no lies! I have had my car on track with him a couple of years ago and have seen him run. The Vette was out there as well.

Anyways, his car is indeed slightly faster in the straightline than my G35...but my GOD did his car absolutely DOG everyone else in the twisties. Simply no comparisson in that regard.

Also helps that he is more a capable driver than he lets off to be...

Rich, when my laptop was stolen I lost all but a few of the pics from that day...Can you IM me a link?
    My car that day:

19. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    Two questions at work here- which is a better car, and which is a better choice? As for better car, as many have shown with very shiny proof, there is no comparison-- the 993 is an icon, the Z merely a fine GT car for its day.

But is that really what the OP wanted to know? We all know that already... So it really depends on who you are.... If I'm a rich guy with a Ferrari at home in the garage who can sustain a potential several thousand dollar repair, then duh, 993 or course.

However if I'm me, where a $5k repair means I will need to bail out of the car at a massive financial loss, then the Z is an infinitely smarter decision. You can get Ferraris in this price range... perhaps that is a more extreme example but the same theory applies, and this is F-Chat's own advice -- buying it and owning it are two different things.

This is why I chose an S2000 over a Boxster. (Never even considered a 350z, which was also an option, by the way :))

PS- Richard, I love your Z, certainly one of the nicest I've ever seen!

20. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    Richard would no doubt put the SMACK DOWN on me & my 930 in the twisties. The 930 is the first car I have ever owned that I was afraid to push in the corners. I scared the Sh*t out of myself in a corner with it not too long ago and I still have not recovered!!!

A close friend of mine is a PCA racer & instructor & he put slicks on my 930 one afternoon & proceeded to show me just what the car could do. I was amazed. Who knows, maybe the 930 could give Richard a run, just not with me driving!!!

Next time I am down there Richard, you, me, & John should get together for a drink!!!

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i don't think the 95's have all those problems mentioned...........

22. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and the z is heavy. weighs more than a z06, i read.

23. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I already owe you so the drinks will be on me. After that 'thing' disappears I'll shoot you a message to arrange something in return!

Any idea which day your bud is making the trip down south?

24. Cajun

Cajun Formula 3

Mar 20, 2004
    Da BY-U
    Full Name:
    MJG
    John,

He will be there the day before the thing. He is going to talk to the guy personally. He has assured me that the little problem will disappear.

C

25. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    The 350Z weighs almost the same as the 993 (depending on model it even weighs less) and the weight balance of the car is obviously much better than the 993.

Sounds like a plan! PM me and we can change contact info!