Porsche Cayman GT4 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Porsche Cayman GT4

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

90/120 days ago I noticed a nice 15K mile car listed for 115 ask.

2. italiangerman

italiangerman Karting

Jul 28, 2009
    gt4rs will it happen? odds?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #53 boxerman, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    I do like the car, it ticks a lot of the right boxes, and no onehas driven one yet, so its speculation but, so far cant say on spec I love it. Part or what made the 997 Gt3 special was the motor. The new 991 motor is elss exotic than the metzger motor but still special.

The cayman Gt4 does not have a dry sump, it does not have titanium conrods or lightweight crank, these are things that make a motor highly responsive, there was also comment in the evo video about tallish gearing. I know these things to heart having recently built a motor and gearbox for my track car, and paid great attention to low reciprocating mass, and gears more for track, even though low internal mass does not change HP.

The GT4 seems to me more of a superlaive street car, at least in terms of drivetrain, and I am sure its trackable to a degree.

Now I am not saying the GT4 should have a 9k redline 991 Gt3 motor, not least because such a motor would be inapropriate for a stick. But what we have here is a warmed over cayman with great suspension. My bet is the reviews will say this thing can have more go because the suspension is certainly up to it.

I am sure the GT4 is a great car, maybe in time will be seen as one of the greats. But in contrast to say GM who goes all out with the vette or z28, ie how possibly fast and great handling can we make it, the Gt4 looks like a german marketing special.

How exciting would the GT350R seem with a regular coyote motor, the flat plane carnk spec is 50% of the excitement. And w eknow a flat plane crank is about responsiveness more than Hp.

Within the confines of a stick and limited development, they would have made a truly epic machine by incorporating some Gt3 motor bits too. 1973 Rs porche, the motor and gearing were a big part of the picture. Maybe porche still too afraid to make the cayman too good, as it is it looks like they are 2/3 of the way there. The money was spent on the suspension and stiffening the body, now lets see the rest of the package,

In any event all my comentary is based purely on spec releasd so far, my gues is it wins evo pcoty, and porche decides to amp it up firther, my guess if sucessful this is GT4 Mk1 and an RS coming.

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Don't do that!!!!

5. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I believe that it is too early for that. Maybe an R version but...who really knows?

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks like the GT4 is sold out even before a wheel turns in any type of review. In some ways this amkes it more sucessful than the Gt3, which is easily available for msrp and even off the showroom floor.

Hopfully that is a message to porche that there is still a robust enough market for a viceral track capable stick car, and that this is a good niche formula to serve.

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

The 911 is P's meal ticket.

They do not want the 4 to encroach the 3. Some nice tweaks would be good. Perhaps the Alfa will force some change ?

8. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

If that is true, the #1 reason is because of the stick and the 2nd the semi gt3 spec package. If it was pdk it would not have sold so fast. Way too many paddle shifts cars out there and they are boring. Porsche studied the market and listened to the customers demand seen an opening and took it. Smart move !!! Just my 2 cents

9. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    Certainly a lot of excitement and expectations surrounding this car.

My local dealer had a dozen deposits within days of the release.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I dont think its that porche studied the market so much as responded to the howling response from the porche faithful. This car has two deletions the faithful demmand, no pdk and no centrelocks. In time maybe it will also have titanium conrods etc.

With allt he tech crammed into the GT3 the cayman GT$ is now free to grow to the max, it will always be "lesser" on paper spec because its stick and does not have rws.

11. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON

Surely Porsche studied the market! If they listen to the porsche faithful they would still all be air cooled. LOL They know most cars in its class are some kind of paddle shift cars. In different interviews they've always said they might do manuals on very special cars and this is a special car as you can see it's hot. They know there is a strong demand not just from porsche faithfuls but ferrari faithfuls also. They already said it's in it's own class by it's self. Porsche has the cayman, cayman S, caymanGTS and now cayman GT4 They knew they could sell it. Again My 2cents

12. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    my only only problem is .... which color???????????????? yellow, white or Blue

13. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    #63 Finlander, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    "Given the disparate nature of those requirements I think Porsche has done a superb job, but – and here’s the rub – I wouldn’t sell my 991 GT3 to own a GT4 unless I was absolutely obsessed with the manual gear change. The bigger car’s engine is on a completely different level, and it offers more options to play with lines and angles at speed on a circuit. And it is way, way quicker and more aggressive."

Probably sums it up.

15. porsche racer

porsche racer Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2006
    southern california
    Full Name:
    arthur
    one question, is there a GT4 RS on the horizon??

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Depends on whether Porsche is struggling to make its numbers or needs the RS to homologate a more capable race car. On balance I think unlikely.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep once you have something close to a Gt3 mtoro ina Gt4, then different story. The good part its a stick, no centrelocks.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  19. CRAIGF355

CRAIGF355 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    CRAIG ANDERSON
    The Full video is on youtube sorry don't know how to post the link. LOL

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thye say given the huge sucess of the Gt4 a RS is a very real possibility and they are strating work. BTW you cant buy a GT4 all sold out. I guess its a stick thing.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Hopefully Porsche will offer the GT4 RS with PDK so it can be driven like a race car...

22. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree. Let's see what it can really do.

23. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    IMHO that's the strategy they should have chosen... 991 GT3 and Cayman GT4 with manual gears, and GT3 RS and GT4 RS for the 1/10th nuts... No one makes more money than Porsche per car, they could certainly have afforded to do both gearboxes in these road racers.

24. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Dealer confirmed 600 us production. 9 out of 9 918 customers have ordered them. Likely no allocation for non 918 customers from my dealer. He did say they have not received from PNA their allocations on the GT4. But the 918 customer allocation is confirmed of 9 units.

25. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I would guess 600 US production would rise if there's demand.

I haven't looked at Cayman US sales stats in a while, but I recall they were below 100/month for a long time (the 981 reboot really helped), lagging far behind the 911 and SUVs, and behind the Boxster, IIRC. That includes PDK manuals and three-pedal manuals.

So, we were seeing about 1,200 Cayman base/S sold for several years. 600 GT4's sounds like a generous run for the US to start. After the initial rush, I suspect there will be an ample supply. A GT4 RS, though, could be a rare bird...