Porsche Cayman GT4 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Porsche Cayman GT4

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by DriveAfterDark, Feb 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #76 boxerman, Mar 10, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    If you read what they say, the GT4Rs will be stick. These modern cars at porche can be developed one way or the other. From what I have read the powertrain is an entire unit. To do both you are effectively developign two powertrains, and the Gt range does not volume justify that. The sucess of the GT4, and the fact that porche states its a response to the faithful askign for an anologue car indicates the Rs will be manuael too.

There is also a strong marketing and product differentiation reason to keep the gt4 rs manuel.

As the current GT3 motor is a 9krpm unit, it wouldnt work with a manuel. But we may well see a derivative of that motor with lower redline and the good bits in a cayman Rs. After all the new GT3 motor is the same basic block as the other porches now, its really different internals, so a lower spec Gt3 motor for aGt4 is not too diffuclt. Different cams, keep the lightweight crank for resposne and a few other bits, maybe 420-450hp as the Gt3 goes to 500, plus a manuel keeps it slower anyway.

That way between the lower power motor and stick porche also maintains the heriachy of 911's which are the tech performance leaders, but the cayman gets to be really fast in its own right. Porche also gets to offer a digital ultra high speed car in the Gt3 , and an anlogue car for those who want it (cayman), neither steping on the others toes. Thats why a cayman Rs will on paper be slightly slower than a regular Gt3, why it will be stick and why its motor may be excellent, but will have less hp than a Gt3..

What we do see is that the Gt4 has breathed excitement and life into the lacklustre cayman line, its what the cayman always needed, proper performance.

A Gt4 as I sated before in this thread (before the first road tests) would be lacking for me because it does not have that special motor or gearing, Harris said same in an actual road test, the rest is there though. If the Rs has a special motor, of all the new cars on the market that is the one I woudl buy, and my order is in.

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    From the auto press

"* “Production capacity” limits the GT4 to 2500 units worldwide and about half that for the US. Surely the limiting factor here is a product of Porsche’s own imagination because the GT4 does not appear to have any unobtanium parts or difficult third-party sourcing. This will probably cause a bit of a bidding war at some Porsche dealers, so be prepared."

Does this mean the GT4 doubles cayman sales? if so we will see further derivatives. The first before even an Rs will really be the boxter version.

How many GT3's produced anualy?

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If 1250 are coming to the US, then yes, that would either double Cayman sales or nearly double it, depending on the most recent stats.

To restate the obvious, there's a pent up demand for the range of 991 engines to be dropped into the 981. The current base Boxster/Cayman is a terrific car, but power is about where the Ferrari 348 was back in 1990. More power = more good.

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-Sr8RPty4[/ame]

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYM8yqdb97k[/ame]

6. alfred1976

alfred1976 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 26, 2015
    #81 alfred1976, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Track-only Porsche Cayman GT4 spied

From the article:
    We are not sure of what to make of this but chances are this is a track-only version of the recently introduced Cayman GT4. The prototype was spotted undergoing some intense testing at the Monza circuit in Italy and it appears to adopt a lower suspension and rides on race-spec lightweight wheels wrapped around in racing slicks.

4 pictures and video in the gallery

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    don't get this car. needs to be quite a car to make trailer, etc worthwhile. maybe if it has the gt3 motor could make sense but doubt it will.

8. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    Talking with my SA yesterday, they have 2 going to 918 owners and 2 going to
    the #1 & #2 customers on their list.

End of June is release of additional allotments, if any.

9. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Friend I work with walked in to a dealer in WI. the guy who was #1 on the list walked, he dropped a deposit and is now #1 for delivery. Excited to see the car. Tracks his current cayman.

10. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Formula 3

Sep 16, 2014
    Supertest

NBR - 7:42

HHR - 1.10,1

0-100: 4,5
    0-160: 9,3
    0-200: 14,5

Weight: 1379 kg

11. Jon H

Jon H Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jon Halvorsen
    Got the word - October build / November delivery!

12. Tass

Tass Rookie

Oct 25, 2008
    Nice! I've got a July delivery

13. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    werid.... my sales tallies are nearly double what people are stating on here. They are mostly around 3k cars for the last 2 years or so

14. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Pricing still around the 100ish mark?

15. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Saw one in the wild at the 'Ring in the parking area near the toll booths last week. Very nice looking car.

16. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    You can see one at Cresson in Dec. when mine gets delivered! Sapphire blue with CF buckets! :)

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Bring it! You better track it!

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    #93 bigodino, Jul 4, 2015
    My brother collected his GT4 last weekend and is raving about it. He noticed that the supports for the rear spoiler on his car are white. Another example (in black) at his dealer had the same. I've only seen black struts so far. Anyone know the reason?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    The black uprights are an option

20. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks, my brother confirms that he overlooked that box on the options list. And it's not white but the colour of the metal itself. Actually it does look nice on a dark car.

21. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BFKU1Fj0j4[/ame]

22. Tass

Tass Rookie

Oct 25, 2008
    #97 Tass, Sep 5, 2015
  23. Rupie

Rupie Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    #98 Rupie, Sep 12, 2015
  24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Continuing with Motor Trend's CotY:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLYqT7JK3e8[/ame]

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    how does gt4 understeer more than the regular 911 that won this test few years ago? well just wait for next years pdk version to fix the ratios and adjust the sway bars and have perfect car