Porsche GT2 smashes 'Ring record ! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Porsche GT2 smashes 'Ring record !

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by FLATOUTRACING, Aug 27, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    and as if he needs to look behind him for closing traffic. he was eating everything in site. funny how you need all the reference points available such as behind you even though he was the quickest

2. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    probably too bumpy?

3. scud

scud F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2004
    your joking right? he was on the edge the whole way. look how he was fighting the wheel. if you were in the passenger seat with him , you would of needed to be removed by others due to shock setting in

4. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    James,

The late Stefan Beloff did a 6:11 in a Porsche 962 back in the 80's. I seriously doubt todays LeMans cars would be any faster.

Lauda was in the 6:45 range but that was a long time ago.

Regards,

Jon

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    You can only do a "full lap" on that track in a video game or during a real race. All the other times it's setup for anyone to come use the track. There's kind of a toll booth and pit lane for you to line up to go off. Basically all records for the street cars are done this way. Watch the Top Gear episode with the diesel Jaguar X-type at the 'Ring. It shows where the start and finish lines are.

6. Paul Vincent

Paul Vincent Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2004
    Sorry gentlemen, but I-80 in Pennsylvania (#1) or Illinois (#2) take the prize. Just the semi drivers alone - cutting off cars and blocking both lanes under any and all conditions put all other rude drivers to shame.

7. JustinS

JustinS Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Justin S
    Thanks for sharing, great video.

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John:
    Inspiring clip, thanks for posting.

Separately, I have lived and driven on 3 continents (US, UK, Australia/NZ). In general:
    - UK was a place to learn to drive (or ride) quickly. Generally a good standard of peripheral awareness by other drivers. Reasonable respect for other road users and twisty roads that encourage (mandate) both hands on the wheel, use of mirrors, concentration with "spirited" motoring on 2-lane roads. The trip in the SE of England to "Brands" and back on the bikes back in the 70s was extraordinary. A few cuts and scars, but nothing too serious to show for it when we got it wrong. Some of my friends were not so lucky. Nowadays SE England seems to be a parking lot.
    - Australia: seemed like if you went a hairs breath over the limit, you got a ticket. Very hot on drinking and driving. Road blocks with mandatory testing. Generally good road manners etc. Safe. Beautiful scenery. Oh, and great fun people too.
    - US (most of my experience is Midwest, but like many of us, I've driven on both coasts too). The litanies above say it well. Sometimes it is bloody mindedness, other times I think drivers are too concerned with cell phone calls. "Tailgaiting" too seems to be higher (more prevalent) than I remember elsewhere. The 2-second rule doesn't seem to have permeated the US driving lexicon. That said, quality of roads means it is one of the safest place in the world to drive, even if, to my judgement, the average standard of driving is "below" what I've experienced elsewhere.

IMO, single biggest improvement for US road users? Ban cell phone usage (but it will never happen). Next to that: advertising programs designed to promote spacing between cars. Want to make it memorable, show some "gore". Chances of it happening? Low to none. My conclusion: drive conservatively, save the quickness for track-days.
    Philip

9. GTB4NART

GTB4NART Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2004
    I drove the 'ring back in the mid 90s and I thought the same thing, it would seem improbable that anything would match the 962 or Sauber Mercedes around the 'ring today. A Formula 1 car probably could not be set up soft enough and the new LeMans regs. don't allow 1500 bhp cars anymore. I'd be inclined to think a Joest or Kremer 962 rebuilt today with modern tires would easily do sub 6:00. Unfortunately, there's no reason for this.

10. xku807

xku807 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2004
    Full Name:
    John
    I read somewhere that the fastest ever F1 lap at Nordchleife was a 6:59 (Lauda in qualifying for what turned out to be the last GP held at the Ring). Those 1976 cars had around 500 bhp and had stressed floor aluminum monocoques.

Now imagine what an extra 400 bhp, a carbon fiber monocoque, paddle shifting, & 20 years of advancement in aero and tyres compounds could do. A sub 6-minute lap is a real possibility I'd say (provided the pilot had balls of steel).

BTW, the 6:11 by Stefan Bellof I understand is from a slightly shortened track. The real record is a 6:25, also by Bellof in a Porsche 956 LMP car.

11. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Exactomundo!! I thought that was a very ballsey, very focused drive in a demanding car. God that cars throttle response was so instantaneous.

12. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Yeah, I loved that one. Would have been better if he had just ripped it off entirely!!

13. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    You mean like the twit in the Subaru WRX or whatever it was?

14. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thank you for sharing that. I really enjoyed it!

15. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

No.

16. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Sensational driving... (what struck me was how smooth the throttle application was - car was NEVER out of shape!!)

However - in REALITY, that GT2 is no way a true road car despite what is being claimed on their website. It's not even a thinly disguised race car - it IS a race car with a number plate.
    I think the 7.32 set by the Carrera GT is more impressive.
    There isn't really anthing to touch the Porsches around that track is there......

17. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    AMAZING !

Oh my, what a great drive.

18. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    I watched that vid and it was really good.

thanks for sharing it.

I don't think that the driver was 'adjusting' the rear view mirror , he
    was just twisting it away from himself because I think , he was getting
    the sun's reflection off it.

just watching the vid shows why 'Ring times are getting more and more
    attention from even mainstream motorcar makers now. Its indicative of
    'real world' speed. Ironically , this is also why some manufacturers steer
    away from putting their cars on the 'Ring as well.

EVO magazine is doing a series currently on how they've bought a 2nd
    hand M3 ( and old model ) and plan to mod it (with a fixed budget in
    mind) and try to go under the 8 mins lap for the 'Ring. They want to
    show how to get some serious speed with a limited budget. Should
    be interesting.

cheers and thanks for sharing.

19. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia
    NB

I was just comparing the couple of times that I have been to Sepang and
    the vid of the 'Ring lap , and I noticed that there is absolutely no run-off
    areas at the 'Ring - just plain hard Armco ....

that driver (jeans and t'shirt) is really good.

20. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Great Vid. Thanks for sharing. Yep, the driver's on the edge but he's one cool driver!

21. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the info. I haven't seen that top gear. Would love to visit the ring someday and witness it firsthand too.

22. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Can someone explain what this susp term means(the inox-line part)--equipped with a KW variant 3 inox-line coilover??
    Also, does anyone know how they got to 612 hp? just turbos or....

that car just so smooth and the throttle response is so instantaneous, with never any lag to the turbos that I could detect, would love to know more about how they set the engine up.

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Jon....

Thanks for posting the video.....!!

GAWD I love the GT2.....I second whart's comments about it......during the time the other driver's are spending thinking about their next action.....you've already blown them away.....

24. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies

I took most of that to be proprietary gibberish, with the important part being that they are 3 way adjustable for damping, rebound and compression.

As for the motor, it's a safe bet they did more than the turbos, the factory x51 package is a good indication of this, and they quite a bit to get a smaller power figure.

As for the driver, there was probably some room for improvement, but he was smooth, had a good line, and used all the road possible. He also seems to know his way around the 'Ring which is a big part of the battle.

25. pistole

pistole Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2005
    Malaysia

I laughed when I read this.