Portable Power Pack for Tender/Charger | FerrariChat

Portable Power Pack for Tender/Charger

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Builderbob, Sep 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I dont have power to my garage, and due to it being a shared underground car park it would cost me £1,500+VAT to have one installed. I've been getting a lot of stop/start, engine control failure errors that the dealer insists is due to not having it on tender (despite the car never having not started from this).

Is there any reason I couldnt buy a portable generator/power pack like some of the below, and use my tender off it? Bringing it up to my apartment for a recharge every week or so once it runs out? Would also be useful for when travelling.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Outlet/s?k=Portable+Outlet

Is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Your link isn’t opening for me.

Any way to connect a small solar panel with alligator clips to your battery? Is there a window near wheee you park your car?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Builderbob

Builderbob Rookie

May 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Nick
    It's just an amazon link to one of those big 230v power banks that tradies run their tools off when theres no power to a location.

Unfortunately no, its underground so solar isnt an option.

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Due to the poor efficiency of these power banks, you would basically have to install a huge amount batteries in order to feed the battery tender. And at the end of the day you would also have to find a way to charge this additional battery. A garage with a proper power socket would be a safer bet...

Installing a fresh battery and taking the car out for weekly 15minutes rides would also be an option.

5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It doesn’t sound like either idea will work for you.

How about a Honda 1000 generator and run it for 2-3 hours a day to power your tender? The Honda is very quiet and low emissions.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Somebody would likely steal anything left outside the car.

7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Use my solution that worked for me when I stored my car in a condo a long time ago
    I documented it here. Contrary to a lot of comments about too much work etc.. it took 5 mins to swap the standby batteries once per week. Also I don't know of any condo that has outlets or would they even allow you to use it for a trickle charger

My primary battery was always fully charged (check my log) and you decide. It worked for me for 4 years

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/my-condo-winter-storage-solution-to-prevent-battery-drain.544118/#post-145191803