Porter Cable or Griot Orbital | FerrariChat

Porter Cable or Griot Orbital

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by mustardfj40, Sep 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #1 mustardfj40, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

F430abdo likes this.
  3. Mrpbody44

Mrpbody44 F1 Veteran

Jul 5, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Full Name:
    Steve Metz
    Porter Cable Their stuff does not break. All the tools I have bought from them have been excellent.

4. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Good point. Mine has fallen on the concrete plenty of times, and it just keeps on going.

5. stevenwk

stevenwk F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I buy all my stuff from Griot's including orbital. Good quality.

A lot of this is just what you're used to. I've been buying from Griot's for over ten years and have been very happy.

The system for washing and waxing is great; i.e., speed shine, paint cleaning clay, etc. give great results.

good luck

6. newgentry

newgentry Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2007
    Johnson City, TN
    Full Name:
    Robert
    +1 for me, I'm a big fan of Griot's as well.

7. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I too have the PC, but it may be the last PC power tool I buy. I have a bunch of PC stuff and it is (was) great. However, they have been bought out by Delta and from what I hear quality on their newest and latest redesigned tools is considerably less than it used to be.

For a time, Griot's sold the PC dual action buffer/sander. Then they just rebadged it with Griot's logo. Now apparently he's got another source (that can probably make him more profit than rebadging the PC unit).

8. Esoteric Auto Detail

Esoteric Auto Detail Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Get the PC7424XP (updated version). It's more powerful than the previous model, and it's more powerful than the Griots model as well. The PC7424XP is the standard in the industry as far as random orbital polishers are concerned. I'm a Pro Detailer, and I know most of the top Pro Detailers in the country...you won't find a single Griots RO in their tool boxes.

The build quality of the XP is very good, and the new ergonomics are much improved as well.

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php?id=2869&url=detailedimage.com/Porter-Cable-M17/7424XP-Random-Orbital-Buffer-P331/

My .02

9. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I use a 6 year old PC 7424 and Lake Country foam pads.

10. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    No brainer get a Proter Cable, Griot is just a rebranded Chinese knock off.

11. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

I didn't realize PC was bought by Delta. I've had mine for several years, and it gets a pretty decent (consumer level, of course) workout.

12. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Yeah, I think it just happened a year or two ago. I love PC tools. I have a biscuit joiner, a brad nailer, a circular saw, a jig saw and of course the DA buffer/sander...all PC and all great well made tools. I went looking for a cordless drill to replace the DeWalt that I have and that I've hated since I bought it. That's when I discovered that PC had been bought by Delta. I have one Delta tool, a mortiser, and it arrived from Amazon broken in half. I've read a lot about the cheap Chinese quality of Delta tools and how they are doing the same with PC. Bummer.

13. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    i use griots with no problem,just ordered some more polish and speed shine. only problem i have with them is the shipping,a little pricey but unavoidable. if you order by sept. 10, you can use key code EMTTAB and get a 15% off, pays for shipping and then some. they have great customer service and return policy. i have the 6" and 3" random orbital and use it on the 360 often without flaws using their pads and polishes

14. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

....only if you spend over 125.00 By the time you spend that, you're in the higher ship price range.

...you only save about $9.00

If you were going to spend that much, no biggie, but don't add to the order just to save....doesn't add up.

I just got an order from that cat. #....didn't use the special.

BTW,

I use Griot's products including the orbital and the mini polisher on my 91 Testarossa and my 97.5 Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster....very happy with them.

The mini polisher is really great.....much better at getting into all the ducts and angles of the Lamborghini.

The "best of show" wax is difficult to get off but I get absolutely no water spotting after some rain. In FL, you have sun, then rain, then sun again....killer for water spots on paint.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

15. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    No problems with mine from Griots. I like it.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I've owned the Porter Cable for maybe 10 years. It works just fine so I'm very happy with it.

17. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Thanks for the tip. Griots makes a new "claybar" for windows, and a glass polishing kit. I have some glass that has to be done, and I am glad that Griots makes this. I used an Eastwood polishing kit in the past, and it was alot of work, so crossing my fingers about the Griots stuff.

18. ManCar

ManCar Karting

May 6, 2009
    Down South
    Griots here too. Love their products...

19. John Z. Goriup

Mar 4, 2009
    Walnut Creek, CA US
    Full Name:
    John Z. Goriup
    mustardfj40

I see you're in Northern California. I live in the Bay area and picked up my Porter-Cable at their factory store at 3039 Teagarden Street, San Leandro. They sell display and demo models of their portable power tools with a 100% new warranty at considerable savings.

Picked the P-C unit up from them a few years ago and am very happy with the thing. Totally reliable, quiet, vibration not bad at all.....you can go for hours. I use Meguiars backing plates, buffing pads as well as their polishing pads and a mix of Meguiars, Griot's and 3M products. There is no finer polish than 3M's Finesse after claying. Follow that up with Meguiars #7 show-car glaze and the carnubawax of your choice and........ Voila

JZG

20. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #20 Spasso, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
    Porter Cable for me. I own a lot of power tools, top-of-the-line Milwaukee down to Nokita. You get what you pay for unless you buy from someone that re-brands cheap STUFF and jacks the price, then you pay TWICE for run-of-the-mill equipment.

Find out where the stuff is made and who owns the company. It tells a lot about your dollar value.

moysiuan likes this.
  21. Stew

Stew Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2006
    Los Angeles
    +1

Regards,

Stew

22. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    ...I have the Griots random orbital too (that I always thought was porter cable)...it is a very nice tool indeed. Griots shipping is far too expensive in my opinion. Their products are generally high quality...

23. Club_Sport

Club_Sport Rookie

Aug 11, 2009
    Philadelphia, Pa
  24. spiderseeker

spiderseeker Formula 3

Jul 22, 2005
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 for Porter Cable, I have their RO polisher and used it for several years now and it's great. Whatever brand you get , make sure it's random orbital, so you can't accidentally hurt the paint. Even an amateur can polish like a pro, with one of those.

25. saleenfan

saleenfan Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No Where
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #25 saleenfan, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    The new PC (7424XP) far surpasses the Griots polisher. Now if you were talking the old PC (7424) it would be a tougher choice but in the end i still would go with the PC, which I did and I love it.
    THe XP has more power, more orbits per minute and better ergonomics plus as others have said its a porter cable and they dont make crappy tools, i have polished well over 100 cars with my pc and not a single hiccup with the machine, its been dropped spilled on etc etc and never ever had a problem.

edit: also on autogeek use the coupon code "autopia" for 10% off