Portofino: 4 days as a daily driver | FerrariChat

Portofino: 4 days as a daily driver

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JJ97, Apr 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Weather has finally improved in Chicago and I finally was able to give my Porto a proper set of drives. A few reports and trip notes:

Friday: drove to work and back, took my daughter and her friend to Volleyball practice, took my son to LAX practice; Observations - very smooth ride the girls loved the trip. My son's LAX equipment fit easily in the trunk. I was happy to be the car pool guy all night for the kids. Lots of runs up and down Lake Shore Drive killing time during LAX practice.

Saturday: took it for a morning drive before traffic was busy. Just a great way to start the day. Didn't drive it much, but my wife had a "girls night out" - so I was her uber driver to dinner in the Gold Coast. She seemed to be embarrassed and made me drop her off a block from the restaurant so her friends didn't see her in a Ferrari.

Sunday: Drove my son to hockey practice. This was a real challenge as he is a goalie and has a huge equip bag. The bag did not fit in the trunk. We ended up improvising. Took some pads out and put them in the trunk, put the bag in the front passenger seat, had him sit in the back and took his goalie stick and laid it int he back as well. It was a bit of a mess and I wouldn't do it again in hindsight. It was fun to have 2 hours to kill during his practice driving it up and down 94 (even though it rained).

Monday: drove it back to work today.

Overall observations: Love this car and will get so much use out of it. The ride is much more comfortable and city (pothole) friendly than my 430 was. The gear box is just perfect, the shifting is hugely improved and I am sure would provide better lap times than I could get in my 430.

That said, the emotion isn't quite equal to the 430. Doesn't sound quite as good and doesn't handle like its on rails like the 430 did.

I guess the net/net for me is I will get more total enjoyment from this car because I will use it so much more frequently and I still love the looks.

2. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Nice write up. The ability to hold some stuff was a critical factor in choosing to order one rather than considering a 458 or 488. I went through having a car with virtually no trunk space (Lotus), and while it was a gas to drive, at least a modicum of practicality is something I wanted this time.

Can’t wait for mine to arrive and go on some drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 2 cars are apples and oranges but having moved from an F430 to a 458 I also felt something was lacking. The F430 just seems more organic and less digital to me than the current batch of modern cars.

But the F430 wasn't a great daily driver for the reasons you stated. It was more of a sports car to me than the GT's Ferrari is making today.

ScottS likes this.
  4. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Yes - In an ideal world I would have both! But my biggest challenge is I don't have garage space for both and can't justify year round storage costs to myself. I think maybe the best answer now is have a GT car and maybe get a pure track car and store it a local track.

5. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm seriously considering moving from my 458 to a Portofino or an F12. Reviews like yours are really helpful.

6. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Congrats...also in Chicago, I'm awaiting delivery of my car which is currently in port.

7. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Seems like there will be quite a few of us in the Chicago area!

8. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Are any of you in the Chicago area going on the FCA drive to Lake Geneva on May 11?

9. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Not me—I am sports car-less until the Porto arrives.

10. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Nick has a Lacrosse game that morning until 10am, I could maybe head up after that. What time is it at VH?

11. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Think it starts at 9:30 to 10:30 from Barrington, then drive from 10:30 on. You should come.

12. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Off to daughter no. 3’s college graduation that weekend