PORTOFINO INTELLIGENT BATTERY ? | FerrariChat

PORTOFINO INTELLIGENT BATTERY ?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Cockney.mike, Apr 26, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Silicon Valley California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Upgraded from a California to a Portofino.

The car is kept on the battery tender at all times. Yesterday when I drove it, the voltmeter kept oscillating between 12.0 and 14.5 volts over a very short (few seconds) timeframe…back and forth. This was happening at a constant freeway speed…not start and stop driving. Even after driving for several minutes, it did not stabilize on a constant charging voltage.

I made a short 2 minute video of it and stopped in the local dealers and spoke to a technician about the problem.

I was told that it is supposed to do this and the Portofino has an “intelligent battery” and the charging voltage is constantly altered depending on driving conditions....somewhere between 12 and 14.4 volts.

I guess I am somewhat skeptical of this and could understand if the charging voltage was varied as part of the HELE equipment (that I understand is standard on the car) being activated in start stop driving, but not as part of freeway driving with no air conditioning, fans etc being on.

I also seem to recollect the charging voltage was constant previously.

Has any other Portofino owners experienced this at all ?

If not, can anyone throw any light on what may be happening here.

Thanks

Mike

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It’s normal. It’s not charging the battery if the battery doesnt need to. This saves on emission and frees some power.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Gcsdave

Gcsdave Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My Portofino and 488 do the same. Seems it’s normal!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The battery itself is not intelligent, but there is a sensor connected to the battery (IBS, Intelligent battery sensor). It measures battery temperature, current and voltage).
    this information is sent to the Engine control unit which uses this to determine the state of charge of the battery. It decides what the target voltage of the battery should be and communicates with a smart alternator and a voltage stabilizer ECU to determine what the system voltage should be.

Andretti Molletti and MalibuGuy like this.
  5. Cockney.mike

Cockney.mike Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Silicon Valley California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My saga continues….I always leave my Portafino on the battery tender when its not being driven. Last night I went for a 20 mile drive and after turning the car off to open the garage door, 2 minutes later the car would not start. Lots of (ever changing) spurious error warning lights and no starter engagement…just a whirring noise. I assumed a flat battery. Left it on the tender overnight and it started up first time this morning…with no error conditions.

I don’t use the start stop feature at all and less than 2 years on a battery seems pretty low (although I changed my California battery with under 3 years of use). I must admit I do not monitor the charging voltage on the display panel any more so I have no idea if it’s not being charged correctly or the battery is flaking out.

I don’t know much about these types of batteries, but the old lead acid ones used to give more notice (as I recollect) when they flaked out.

This is the original battery that came with the car. Not sure if its covered under warranty (I expect not), but is there a better quality battery I can have the dealer install ?

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) That charging behavior is normal.
    2) The best battery for the Portofino is the Braille lithium I48CS. (for $2500 it ought to be). That is what I will buy when my original battery needs replacement.

Attached Files:

dinoart and Patricia2020 like this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unless you really want the lighter weight, the Braille B7548 is an equally good option. As an alternative, the cheaper Antigravity with built in booster function seems to be a great lithium option too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Andrew Pour likes this.
  8. BHMSOCCER

BHMSOCCER Rookie

Dec 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I had the exact same issues over the past 2 months on my 2019 Portofino. I had to have my car jump started 5 times after running errands. It always started fine coming off the tender. When I took it into the dealer they said that I was just under the required mileage to have the battery replaced under warranty. The car was then driven the requisite number of miles and the battery was replaced. I just got it back last weekend. Fingers crossed the new battery holds up better than the old one.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    OP Its a smart alternator not battery. And here you go all the problems start. Keep it always on tender . Drive her. But even then YOU WILL BE STRANDED.

First up throw out the Factory battery and get a new one. And get yourself a starter. You will thank me.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Portofino London

Oct 10, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    SM
    I just bought a brand new Portfofino. It is 2 weeks old. I haven't driven it for last 8 days. It was parked without the battery charger. This morning i went to drive it and it is completely DEAD. The dashboard comes on, but wont recognise the keys & wont start. Is this normal ?

This is my first Ferrari. I expected it to last at least 2 weeks without needing to be on the charger. Is that not the case ? Does it always have to be on the charger ? Or should i take it to the dealer & complain about a fault ?

11. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Not sure how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop or how many days it takes to drain a battery on a Ferrari but it’s best to always keep your battery on a tender. Maybe you could go a week or so, certainly a weekend, unless it’s an older battery (3 years?) but there are countless threads on FChat telling you:
    1) keep it on a tender at all times
    2) get a good Interstate battery
    3) get a Noco boost (or similar) jumper because it’s not if but when
    4) or spring for a Braille or similar lithium battery and not worry so much about items 1) - 3).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. Portofino London

Oct 10, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    SM
    Thank you for your reply.
    The car is 2 weeks old. So i was surprised this happened so quickly. I now have it on the tender in the garage & just ordered a Noco booster.
    Guess its just part of the Ferrari experience ?

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Complain to your Ferrari dealer, they may fit a different type of battery as a replacement. They did this a month ago with a friends Portofino.

If it still won’t start you will need to call Ferrari assist out.

Please can you tell us when was your car made? I did not know new Portofino's were still being made? What I am getting at it could have been sitting around for a while, but it still should have been fully charged when delivered to you.

14. Portofino London

Oct 10, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    SM
    You raise a very good point. It was made in March 2020 but sat in the showroom for 6 months b/c of Covid lockdown in the UK. So it is quite possible i'm experiencing these problems because it hasn't been used for 6months until i bought it. It had 40 miles on the clock when i took delivery.

15. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    A tech article in FORZA points out that starting a Ferrari with the battery low can damage electronic components.

16. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    Its a "simpel" thing....
    (after 35 years automotive technical trainer): The battery is sulfateted (Sulfa gets in the plates and cant get out)... The inner resistance of the battery gets to high and the current it can take gets low... also the the current it can give while starting is reduced by that higher inner resistance.
    So the problem is in your battery. To long standing stil is not good!
    Your battery is a EFB, Enhanced Flooded Battery ( the 2 other sorts are the simpel SMF (Sealed Maintanance Free) and AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt).
    the second part is your generator and electroncis. The ECU measures the state of health (STH)and state of Charge (STC)...This is done in combination with the battery sensor on the minus of the battery. The ECU decides how high the Voltage of the alternator will be. If charge is needed it wil increase Voltage to charge... the battery voltage will rise and the alternator voltage will drop. If the battery is to SMALL then this will be intermitting, every 5 sec or so.. Your battery has not been changed, but the inner resistance is so high that with a small charge the battery Voltage will rise very quick...the alternate Voltage drop.. the car consumes energy from the battery and the (to small battery because of sulfateted plates and therefor small surface of the plates in the battery...So very fast the battery Voltage drops and the ECU respond with higher charge Voltage... The system is responding very well and fast! So your system is ok!!
    Your battery is gone.. simpel battery check will show you.
    You can buy 2500 dollar battery's but its not necessary.

Why is your battery dead within 2 weeks of standing ? Because the draining current in rest is to high. You can measure that and it should be under the 50mA or if the battery is bigger then 100Ah, it may be a little higher. 2 weeks is a normal "standing" time.
    Lets say (i don't know the battery specs of a Portofolio) the battery is 100Ah. It can start with half the capacity. Thats 50AH! So you can consume 50Ah in 2 weeks.
    2 weeks is 336 hours. If you consume 140mA it will last 2 weeks... ( a brand new and fully loaded battery!!) Normally the AFB battery is not fully loaded (thats a strategy of the battery management system) .. so 50mA will take only 336hx0,05A=17Ah .. still left 83 with a margin of 33Ah!

Short version: your battery is sulfateted! Buy a new one ;)

Sorry for my bad English, but I'm sure your Dutch is far worse :p

17. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Bedankt voor de informatie! Ik vind het heel gemakkelijk om mijn tender in te pluggen met de magnetische buitenpoort!

18. Andretti Molletti

Andretti Molletti Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2010
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Dré
    is your account being hacked or so??

SLViper1 likes this.
  19. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) Your dealer should give you a new battery. If he won't,buy one.
    2) The car should start after sitting for eight days without a tender,but it would be best to put it on the tender first and bring it to a full charge before starting.

Andrew Pour likes this.
  20. Portofino London

Oct 10, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    SM
    Thanks for everyone's comments & advice. I put the car onto tender for a couple of hours & it started up fine. Took it for a decent drive to charge up the battery. Now keep it on tender & it seems to be ok. I think Wheels1 was correct. It has been sitting in the dealer showroom for 6mths + and hasnt been driven. So i am hoping the car just needs some bedding in.