Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Fascinating discussion, thanks guys! I actually see the bumps/creases in the trunk as continuing the roof line through to the trunk- thus reinforcing the fastback look with the top up and giving a sporty element when the top is down. I can't really discuss aerodynamics except to say I like it when it works. Or maybe its best to come back to Mr. Enzo Ferrari who famously said aerodynamics are for people who can't make engines! :)

tomc and of2worlds like this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Considering that one is an extreme two-seater and the other is a multi-purpose 4-seater, I still think the Portofino is a more homogeneous, well-integrated design with much better surfacing than the 812. I like that they made the closed top configuration look sportier as a fastback (2-volume) and I like the back much more than the Cali and Cali T.

I don't like that the greenhouse height vs body height was sacrificed in order to get the fast back look, leaving the body too tall and the wheels looking small in the wheel wells. And a couple of details just bug me like the aforementioned snowplow, the openings adjacent to the grille which are at the same time simplistic and messy looking, and the uncalled for kink in the top edge of the quarter window trailing edge.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 812, beyond the extreme 2-seater, performance V-12 aspect of it, I just don't like, especially considering how much potential it had. It looks liked they really tried too hard and even after getting used to it, I still don't like it. I don't like the poor surfacing on the door (as evidenced by the poor control of reflections) the puffed-up rear fenders because they wanted to include that funny vent (a TDF-style vent would have worked just as well, I think) and especially the view from the back. The rear window looks like a slot compared to the the overly thick C-pillars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  3. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #303 4th_gear, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Yes, what you say is true. There is some degree of side venting in the current designs of undertrays. As you point out, it's really a balance between pushing sufficient ground air out to the diffuser vs avoiding a frontal lift caused by a build-up of positive pressure from the inverted wing effect.

I suspect this is especially important with very lightweight cars, like F1 and LMP1 cars where they can literally take off (ala Mark Webber and Peter Dumbreck in 1999) if their frontal areas are given sufficient excuse to lift.

Along the same lines, it's also aerodynamically good to vent turbulent air from the wheel wells and I hope and suspect the ones sported on the Portofino are functional, unlike the fake ones on the Cali. :rolleyes:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The creases are a nice detail.

of2worlds likes this.
  5. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    That's a nice detail, especially if functional.

I recall that on the 599, I think, the fender vents were meant to act as a conduit for engine sounds to the outside, including the cockpit.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fair comments. I feel the same way Portofino vs 812 and when I learned of the tiny allocation for the 812, was relieved that I wouldn't have to hanker for one.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    of2worlds likes this.
  8. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's neat!

9. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I wonder if the greenhouse is also due to the trend to have ever smaller and smaller greenhouse area in car designs. I read somewhere that this is due to people feel more secure with more car around them as opposed to more greenhouse. Of course, its easier to see out if there is more greenhouse. I noticed how almost all car models, generation to generation feature an ever increasing "belt line". As the Portofino is a whole new platform, this would be the time to raise the belt line/ reduce the greenhouse.

I wonder if the openings next to the front grill are for aero reasons?

Unfortunately I think the days of simple, clean and elegant designs are long gone. I think the F12b was probably the closest we will have come in a long time to such a thing. It seems to me the trend is for more visually interesting things. Perhaps that is sometimes to work with difficult things like aero or new crash protection rules. I also think that's the nature of pushing forward. Sometimes it will be more than we are comfortable with.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

I suppose also it would be that metal is lighter than glass. So smaller glass area equals less weight. The further advantage being that your are taking out weigh relatively high up in the vehicle and thus lowering the centre of gravity...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I'm afraid that's right. Just look at the original soft driving Cali, aerodynamically very clean and simple. Things became a little more exaggerated with the T especially evident in the diffuser and now the PF is adopting far more advanced aero as it mutates into more of a drivers car. To my eye, the F12b had the perfect blend of aero and aesthetics for a GT and everything going forward will, I suspect, be more aero dominated as slightly unfortunately demonstrated in some elements of the 812. This more aggressive design direction is no unintended mistake.

As to the PF, all I see is a great looking full convertible hard top Ferrari and just that phrase sounds pretty good to me. In addition, chances are good it will drive more like a mini 488 than the California it replaces whilst having that dual personality of being a great convertible GT. I enjoyed my 458 Spyder but there is a world of difference between that and a full convertible such as the PF. To me that makes it sound just a perfect car for the real world.

12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    The small greenhouse making passengers feel safer is an interesting idea, though I know that for me, and others I've spoken to, it just makes me feel somewhat claustrophobic and sunken into a car instead of being on top of the car and in control of it. Have you ever sat in a new Camaro? - it's awful.

I think that the trend in mass market cars going to a smaller greenhouse is also driven by the fact that most chassis nowadays are "platforms" and shared with crossover and SUV models so the hard-points on the chassis are sited higher up. The idea of reducing the relative area of glass versus the lighter sheetmetal, as noted by of2worlds, is also a possible reason.

Regarding the openings in the front of the car, these are certainly for either cooling brakes or to provide flow to the front fender vents. Having said this, the design of most of these "aero" elements are still driven by styling requirements as there are many ways to design an opening or vent and still achieve the intended function - just look at how Cadillac, Mazda and Acura "re-styled" existing LMP2 cars for IMSA DPi to suit their styling language and still maintained performance. And these are race cars where every fraction of performance counts.

So, some designs are just nicer than others and in the case of these openings, I think they could have done something nicer and more interesting.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Excellent thoughts! Perhaps together we are getting closer to understanding shrinking greenhouses.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Marcel there is a lot going on with that Portofino design. Thank you for covering all the angles!
    Any more pictures of the silver 4 seater in the background of picture number four? It looks like the back seats are where the trunk would be...

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    That is just part of an ongoing movie on the screen in the back. Renderings, not more than that.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  16. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Marcel, thanks for the pictures showing the car in red.

Black with tan interior would be a speculator color on this car IMO

What a great design, and nice evolution of the California.

I dig this car!

uhn2000 and of2worlds like this.
  17. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Marcel, I recall your mentioning with conviction that there would be 2 iterations of the car replacing the CaliT and that they would differ in body design. Given that the Portofino is now unveiled do you have any updates on the second car?

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you Marcel for the great photos!

19. tquinton

tquinton Rookie

Aug 25, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Some photos from Frankfurt of the silver one ! Lush. I guess that’s not a cheap paint option!!

of2worlds likes this.
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thanks for sharing these pictures of the silver Portofino!

I believe this is the special Ferrari matte finish paint called 'alluminio opaco' a very expensive option. The same paint color was shown on the F12 show car when that new model was introduced. Ferrari actually put a lot of thought into what color combinations they will select for all their show car exhibits.

21. mkultra

mkultra Formula 3

Nov 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    MK Ultra
    How much does Ferrari charge for matte finishes out of curiosity? More than a triple layer I assume?

22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #323 4th_gear, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    ^OMG!

Well, it just goes to show, even the Portofino can look bad from camera views. Those mirrors look like ears... two tail lights like nostrils, the grey rear apron with the two sets of twin exhaust pipes a set of grinning lips... on some bizarre monkey-like creature.

Must wait to see it in person to get a proper assessment. Modern snapshot cameras create so many distortions.

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not a fan of the nostrils. I prefer the hood scoop on the NA generation Calis versus the nostrils of the T, but it is nice to see a recent Ferrari design that looks great in a multitude of colors...T

24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This is so weird. For years the CA had one of the ugliest rear ends of any Ferrari. Now it's beautiful

But the side and the front... ugh.

uhn2000 likes this.