Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 21 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Is there an option to get the front grill in something other than silver/chrome? For example, black...T

2. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    @tomc The front grill of the Portofino is painted flat black as standard. The listed options are:
    CFG1 Front Grill with Chromed Edges
    CFG4 Front Grill Black Chrome Edges
    CFG5 Front Grill Black Chrome
    Each of those is listed at $1,687. You must pick one, they cannot be combined.

3. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you!
    T

4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Also thinking of dropping shields, seems "cleaner" without.
    Its time to be daring.

On the grill options its hard to tell on the configerator but the PF grill is a step away from traditional egg crate alloy Ferrari grills.
    Even on the Cali T you can see direct lineage from the 60s cars and so chrome edging kind of works
    On the PF black chrome interior and exterior which subtly highlights vertical and horizontal lines may offer a ghost of a nod to heritage.

5. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    The words I used in my last post on PF grills were from the Option Price List (Nov. 30). They speak of "edges" of the grill. The ordering guide descriptions in many cases differ from those on the option list. Different translators? In the case of the grill the guide uses the word "surround", as in "Front grill with chrome surround". Looking at the pictures, it seems likely that both edge and surround are bad translations from Italian.

The grill seems to have no edges or surrounds (it is surrounded by the car body). The grill consists of a chrome horse affixed to two horizontal bars. These horizontal bars are attached to two vertical bars behind them that are attached to the vehicle. The pictures indicate that you can have all the bars painted flat black (standard), or you can opt for the horizontal bars to be chrome (CFG1), or the horizontal bars to be black chrome (CFG4), or all bars to be black chrome (CFG5). So perhaps the word "edge" means the part of the grill closest to an observer in front of the car.

My photos are B&W copier prints so I can't see fine detail but that's what it looks like. I hope this helps visualize the situation.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Thanks. Very helpful...T

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Tides likes this.
  8. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Griffon83 likes this.
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    635CSI likes this.
  10. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  11. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Does anyone know the UK base price for the Portofino?

Also, does anyone have a complete list of options and price list for the Portofino?

The website configurator seems to have a number of carbon options missing, including the side skirts, front wing vents and rear light surround. So this indicates to me that other options may be missing too.

12. tompletsch

tompletsch Rookie

Oct 24, 2014
    Germany
    i have a german pricelist. Send me your E-Mail-Address to [email protected].

GlowRed likes this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  14. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Single-piece exhaust header is lighter, but more complex to manufacture. Ferrari claims the new headers improve the exhaust flow too. This is understandable as there are no clefts between joints and pipes can be shaped to more optimized form.

Ferrari probably chose the three-piece exhaust headers for California T because they wanted to experiment with different size turbo chargers on this first modern day turbo Ferrari.

It looks like Ferrari is using more advanced exhaust header material on Portofino too.

tomc likes this.
  15. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I did a bit of further research on exhaust headers in current Ferrari turbo engines. Here are the observations:

- GTC4Lusso T contains similar three-piece exhaust headers as California T.
    - 488 GTB contains headers which look like single-piece items but are in fact separate from turbine housings, classifying them as two-piece headers.
    - Portofino has the most advanced headers (manufacturing wise) as these are true single-piece items, incorporating also turbine housings.

tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Good stuff. Via several web sites, the implication seems to be that this will reduce turbo lag...T

http://fcauthority.com/2017/08/ferrari-portofino-revealed-as-the-sun-sets-on-the-california-t/

"Thanks to new pistons, con-rods, a specific engine calibration and a new intake system, the turbocharged V8 engine finds a new character in the Ferrari Portofino. Additionally, a one-piece-cast exhaust header helps eliminate turbo lag and a Variable Boost Management adjusts torque delivery depending on the current gear."

17. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Tom...are you getting an itch here with all of these questions? I’m getting excited that you may be putting an order together soon!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not soon, but in the future, hopefully.
    T

20. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    While I understand both views, I'm inclined to the latter. It is a new model. And not only because it has a different platform, but because it is build on a totally new platform. The manufacturing processes have been revolutionized, with 40% less parts in the chassis. And it is not just the chassis, the list of changes targeting efficiency improvements is extensive. Wheelbase and engine block are pretty much all that has been carried over from California T.

Portofino is the base of future Ferraris.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ferrari-portofino-lightweight-tech-influence-all-future-models

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    tomc and inox like this.
  22. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    just because there is some new chassis technology doesn't make it a completely new platform. if that was a case it would have drastically different engine, dimensions, and looks. The 360 to 430 or 458 to 488 had many more changes. This is more like the F12 to the 812.

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its not only new chassis technology, its an entirely new frame. The examples you gave are not accurate in terms of discussing platform. 360-430 was improved engine, suspension and gearbox. But the platform is the same. They designed those platforms to last about 10 years with the evolution model somewhere in the middle of the cycle- such as the 430. Going by exterior dimensions is misleading because they can design a bumper- a hollow element- to a different shape that alters the dimensions. This is not like the F12 to 812. F12 to 812 is like 360-430; or 458 to 488. The Cali T-PF is like 599 to F12. Whole new platform.

inox and F12KID like this.