Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    What is a platform? Isn't it a base where everything is built on? In a car that must be a chassis.

So Ferrari created a new chassis for Portofino, but why didn't they alter wheelbase? I guess they were happy with the existing dimensions. Increasing the wheelbase would mean increasing weight and they were trying to reduce weight. So instead they did a clever thing and created compact seats with magnesium frames (magnesium is 33% lighter than aluminium with similar or greater mechanical properties) and got more room to interior while actually decreasing weight.
    This is an entry level Ferrari and still it has only 5 cm (2 inch) shorter wheelbase as 812 Superfast. I assume Ferrari wanted to keep the car as compact as possible and shorter than the top end model. Regarding the looks, I think it got a complete overhaul from retro to modern design while also getting wider. I would also like to remind the same engine block is shared with GTC4Lusso T and 488 GTB too, and those for sure are different models.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  3. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    The Premium HiFi system on the PF is described as JBL Professional, 1500W with 12 speakers. Cost ($6,243) is about the same as on the CalT so I suppose it may be similar. On the California you could get a CD reader as a zero cost option. I believe it was in the glove box. On the PF they have dropped the zero cost option and offer a DVD changer that can be loaded with six DVD/CDs at once. Cost is $2,531. the guide says it is located in the "right-hand zone of the boot" and is "easily accessible". So your arrow is likely pointing at it.

Caeruleus11 and inox like this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    What is a normally / average equipped version coming out to be?

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OldDog quoted $244K plus tax a page or do back. I don't think I've seen another U.S. valuation. I think the base price quoted was $214K...T

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

That's kind of what I figured -- something around $250K.

7. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When I bought my '13 Cali in Canada, my salesman said Cdn$40k of options is the average on these cars, anything lower will appear somewhat lacking. Given the higher margins on options being an integral part of the pricing strategy, I think this is the pricing formula the factory and FNA have factored in.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think you sum it up those other models are different "for sure". you can't say that with straight face Portofino vs. California.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    this isn't rocket science, everyone following the hype like this is a completely new model line.

308 < 328 < 348 < 355 < 360 < 430 < 458 < 488 ***referred to as mid-engine 8's.

550 < 575 < 599 < F12 < 812 ***referred to as front-engine 12's.

California < California 30 < California T < Portofino ***referred to as California's or you can call them 2+2 8's.

It is simply the normal evolution of the California line.

good2go and F12KID like this.
  10. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #535 TheMayor, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Has anyone seen one in person? Does it look better than the photos? That air curtain sidewall jutting out by the front tires looks just darn weird to me. But they did a great job on the roof up and down and the rear view.

I'm surprised there is no seat style choice on the configurator. In fact the options are pretty much "Ferrari" run of the mill on the car.

The cars are apples and oranges to some degree but you can get a good 458 spider for the same $250K today. And, it's chewed up a lot of its depreciation. It makes the decision tougher.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I agree completely with this as you are now talking about 'model line' instead of 'model'.

Caeruleus11, XDINO and Traveller like this.
  12. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    Caeruleus11 and jumpinjohn like this.
  13. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    A mid-engine spider is very different in function from a front-mid-engine 2+2 PF. If the 458 spider you had was too much unwanted scary attention, you'll still have that problem today. Best to wait till you can see an PF in the flesh and then wait for early adopters' impressions. If you get too caught up with depreciation fears you may miss the more important point of owning a given car.

Depreciation is not a problem if you really like the car and keep it. Personally-speaking, I don't get excited about any new car unless it truly presents a personally meaningful improvement.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #539 TheMayor, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    Yah I agree with you. The 458 is a pretty poor compromise between sports car and GT. In fact this was my problem with the 458. It wasn't sporty enough and it was not a great GT. And the spider wasn't a great convertible. It felt to me more like a targa open top but not a true convertible.

And I completely agree with the "attention" issue. One of the things that turned me off.

I think the Speciale version cured the 458's lack of sports car nature. But they made too few spiders so they are all "collectibles" -- not to be driven. What a pity

The Portofino is pure GT. If you want something to drive every day or go cross country, the 458 is not really what you want.

15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    FWIW, I'm very happy with my Cali30 HS. IMO, the truth is that no regular high performance car is optimally configured by the factory and cars like Ferraris are too risky for most owners to tinker with even if they are not held back by the "must own or resell in factory condition" mentaility.

IMO, all car makers purposely under-achieve their performance cars for various reasons, some of which are not in your best interest. You will never find the perfect car if you only rely on standard offerings. So I always end up tinkering with my cars. It's the only way for me to be truly happy... so long as I've already determined a car's got "good bones" and can be exactly what I really want, with the available aftermarket upgrades. I'm never happy until I've tinkered with some deficiency in my cars.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    These aren't cars anymore. They are tokens to too many. Like a trophy wife.

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Nelsonc275 likes this.
  18. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Very true, such demand also influences design and marketing message(s)... ambivalent for the enthusiasts, reasons why some of us resort to aftermarket upgrades for "fixes".

19. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    Does the configurator work for you? How? I still can’t seem to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes it works but I can't figure out how to see it with the top up. I was using Chrome.

21. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Thanks for the info! Very interesting.

I'm a bit surprised with Portofino's 1500 W figure and 12 speakers because California's JBL HiFi system has only 400 W (8 x 50 W) with 9 speakers. Are the Watt figures really comparable? California owners have not been particularly happy with the optional HiFi system. Has Ferrari really taken complaints seriously and provided a better system for Portofino?

See old thread of California's HiFi complaints:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/upgraded-hi-fi-stereo-option.281889/

22. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Just like anything else, trying to compare stereos based on wattage is tricky business. There are different types of amps, and the most important thing is the speakers. The bottom line you should take away from this is it seems like there will be solid power to create dynamic sound out of the stereo. I know many say the real sound system is the exhaust- and I agree- but some of us like to have our tunes with us at times. And when I do, I prefer a dynamic rendition of whatever it is I have playing. So the question is whether or not the new system is better than the old. I can only guess that it should be improved, along with the rest of the car.

And that brings me back to Rob's point - as I think we are just splitting hairs here/ semantics/ - about platform vs model line. I agree with you if you are saying these are model lines then I suppose you could say the PF occupies the space in the lineup that the original California created. And thus, the 488 is really a late descendant of the 308. But- does anyone really believe the 308 and 488 have anything mechanically in common?

I would adjust your matrix as follows- and indeed, your own (or former) Ferrari chat forums are organized this way

308 < 328 | 348 < 355 | 360 < 430 | 458 < 488

250 GT models < 275 | 365 | 550 < 575 | 599 | F12 < 812

California < California 30 < California T | Portofino

XDINO and inox like this.
  23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I can't get it to work on my Mac w/ Chrome. Are you using a Windows machine, iPad, something else?
    T

24. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My reaction to having seen cars done in both is this picture is accurate but a little misleading. The Sterling looks more like a navy when spread over a surface and Medio looks more crayon blue. Remember, when dealing with colors, its not enough to look at the color, you also have to consider the shape and scale of the application.

25. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I agree. Pretty hard to compare systems based on wattage. It seems the complaints about HiFi system have concerned mostly original California. Ferrari upgraded the system for California T. I just found few pages which say California T has 12 speakers with 1280 Watts. Here is the most informative of them:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/9-reasons-to-buy-a-ferrari-california-t
    "The Sound System: Our test car featured the optional JBL Professional stereo. It incorporates five 25mm ceramic metal-matrix diaphragm dome Tweeters, three 80mm black Kevlar midrange speakers, two 200mm carbon fibre dual voice-coil woofers with neodymium magnets, two 100mml back Kevlar midrange speakers and a thumping 1,280-watt 16-channel class-d amp. No matter how fast you're going, it still felt like Snoop Dogg had taken residence in our cochlea."

Even if comparison is difficult, lets recap the figures were got:
    California: 400 W, 9 speakears
    California T: 1280 W, 12 speakers
    Portofino: 1500 W, 12 speakers

Perhaps HiFi systems are coming more important to Ferrari as well now that engine noise is reduced due to turbo chargers.

Caeruleus11 likes this.