Portofino Launch and picture thread | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Portofino Launch and picture thread

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Traveller, Sep 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  2. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
  3. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Glad I took the HiFi option in the PF - lol....wonder if stereo supposed to compete with exhaust sound - lol

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    Yes. They are replacing 12-cylinder engines with 12-speaker systems! ;)

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Perhaps they are. I also think this car as well as the GTC4 have the broadest missions in the Ferrari lineup and, thus, as such it wouldn't be truly out of place to have a nice audio system. I think you need that wattage so you can generate dynamic and clear sound.

uhn2000 likes this.
  6. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Anyone know when these will actually hit the streets in the US? My dealer hasn’t even had a private showing yet. They’ve done all the Lussos and the 812 but no PF. I’m thinking about one as a DD as I agree the 488 Spider is an amazing occasional car but not a daily. I suppose I could just call him but figured someone here will know.

7. bpolsky

bpolsky Rookie

Nov 4, 2017
    Sorry to belabor the point, but I still cannot get the configurator to work. Tried Chrome, Firefox on Apple and P.C. Nothing. Anyone else getting it to work? Confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomc and XDINO like this.
  8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    The only thing I don't like about the Portofino are the standard wheels... Apart from that, it is a masterpiece.

9. TSOYBELIS

TSOYBELIS F1 World Champ

Nov 30, 2005
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    SPYROS
    I suppose it's the angle of the photos to blame for the hight. As for the wheels I agree

10. bsawler

bsawler Karting

Dec 3, 2015
    Bay Area
    Guessing you're in the US as well? The configurator still doesn't work here sadly...

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

That is so weird. I was using it in Hong Kong yesterday and it worked fine. I was using the United States version. Get to the US and use the same link and it says "error".

Very strange.

For some reason Ferrari has turned it off in the US. Not sure why they would do that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I swear Ferrari does this intentionally. First they design the good looking wheels then they design something less appealing as "standard"

I agree with you on that. The upgraded wheels are much better looking. But its the same for the 458/ 488

stavura likes this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Funny. I kind of like the front view, although I still would prefer a hood scoop to nostrils. The side view looks a tad busy right behind the front wheel arches, but only in some colors that I've seen. The rear view, I'm still up in the air. It's nowhere near as "butt ugly" as the 812 IMO, but then again, you really can't see back there from the driver's seat. I can't wait for the driving reports to start filtering in, especially from the F-chat faithful...T

14. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    From what I hear of the way the PF drives, it moves the game on very substantially over the Cali which is both logical and to be expected. Ferrari know the criticisms of 'not being a real Ferrari' and will have responded, indeed we know from Macchione's comments that he was also,concerned about the Cali. I believe we will all be more than delighted with the first tests but surely they should be due very soon?

tomc and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #568 4th_gear, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    There are some picture views of the PF that I really like, others not so much. In general, I think the in-house Ferrari designers may be taking the "modern Ferrari design language" a bit too seriously, to the point where the designs look too similar to other modern, often "Japanese-looking", designs.

IMO, Ferraris need to feature some elements in their contemporary designs that firmly connect them to more iconic, historical details from older cars. While the PF does echo the F12, I'm having a hard time making a connection to more traditional Ferrari, perhaps Pininfarina, details. IMO, Ferraris do not follow market trends but rather follow its own more historical path, and the "flame surface" bodywork does not do that and looks "plasticky".

FWIW, a lot of (former) Bimmer fans like me really hated Bangle's flame surfaced, cheap interior BMWs and it was the main reason I stopped buying them. The plastic look may work on small inexpensive cars that actually do employ a lot of plastic parts but you have to wonder why that association would actually compliment a "hand-built" car at this price range????

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
  17. only_f12tdf

only_f12tdf Karting
    BANNED

Nov 26, 2016
    new york city
    Full Name:
    omar scriltech
    May delivery portofino now available PM ME

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

bpolsky likes this.
  18. inox

inox Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2017
    I've seen these complaints about plastic feel of PF. Can you explain a bit more. Is the plastic feel due to shape, or are you seeing real plastic?

The rear bumper/diffuser is of course plastic, but I'm not quite sure where else it has been applied.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Silver red would look great ...i have tried everything suggested but still cannot get the configurator to work

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a fair question and even before your question I thought about why I feel this way and came to following conclusion:

Flame surfacing has the appearance of panels that have been lightly and smoothly "crinkled", not unlike a sheet of plastic that has been wrinkled or clay sculpted with a knife. This differs from pre-2000 style of body lines created by the traditional bending and stamping of metal body panels which leave well defined and conventional-looking body panel creases. The lighter and the smoother the surface creases appear, the more they looks plastic, mostly because we associate those types of surfaces with molded plastic and not metal. Unfortunately, flame surfacing is all about subtle creases on body panels. Flame surfacing also tends to impart an artistic theme to the object, which when overdone, takes away from the old-fashioned engineering and mechanical appeal of high performance cars - it becomes essentially "too concerned about looking pretty", "too feminine" at the expense of the car's mechanical-connection.

I've compared rear photos of the PF and the 812 below. Both cars exhibit flame surfacing as well as plastic-looking exterior components. I've added arrows and personal comments.

IMO, the 812 mostly gets away with it (from this angle) because the (expensive) dominating rear flank body panels make a very strong statement about the "power" from those wheel wells whereas the PF's rear simply shows way too many creases. Flame surfacing (and plastic parts) come across as cheap ways to modulate the otherwise featureless surface of metal body panels.

An expensive has to look expensive to make... it cannot look plasticky. You have to, as much as possible, avoid even the appearance of plastic (paneling).

Flame surfacing may be OK or even cool with cars that are economy-minded (aerodynamic) but for a Ferrari, stronger, more expensive-looking external features are more appropriate - big air inlets, scoops, flying buttresses, even aggressive spoilers. If you go too soft on looks, an Fcar starts to looks confused at best. Ferrari is about racing, not boulevard cruising.

Think of the reasons why some people add carbon fibre exterior panels, spoilers, wings, black roofs,...etc. to their cars. IMO, you can have flame surfacing but it should not dominate the appearance of the car, even if it's just from some viewing angles.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

inox likes this.
  22. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael