Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Portofino - "Real Ferrari"...opinions please

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Adrian Saunders, Mar 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    1) The Portofino is not a four-seater. It is a two-seater with tiny jump seats that can be used only by small-child-sized people.
    2) The 488 is longer and wider (slightly). The F12/812 is significantly longer and wider.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The 488 is a little shorter but is a little wider. I have both in my garage. They are both real Ferraris and so was my Cali T HS. A Ferrari drives, sounds and looks like no other car.

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I think there are two key elements in a Ferrari: design and engine.

The engine is, imho, the best turbo engine out there on the market.

The design is incredibly sexy. No Portofino photo or video does it complete justice.

Whenever I see a Portofino, I remember this brilliant ad:

(Helps if you speak italian, but you don’t need to in order to get the picture).

Rest assured: yes, it’s a proper Ferrari.

Personally, my favorite Ferrari since 2008, apart from the 458 which I still own (same reason: sexy, flowing lines, no scoops, side vents, ailerons, etc).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I was using the figure for the 488 Pista,which is longer than the 488 GTB. My point is that the Portofino is not a Queen Mother Ferrari designed to carry four adults in comfort. It is a sports car for two adults with a handy storage area behind the seats,and it is also beautifully styled.

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    I love that commercial!!! Thanks for posting.

uhn2000 and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Take it from me...stay away from the DB11 If you actually enjoy driving. I had a V12 version and couldn’t get rid of it fast enough. The DB11 is good looking and has a beautiful interior. However, the driving experience totally sucks. The car handles like a dog turd, the traction control is very intrusive, and the engine/transmission response is subpar for a car at that price.

The Mercedes infotainment system is a bit glitchy as well, which I’m not sure why, as the one in my G wagon is fine.

I drove a Portofino and totally loved it. 600Hp, convertible and great sound for a turbocharged car. My wife wants one and I would love to use it as our family fun car as it has small back seats and can fit my kids. Perfect car for trips to the winery, longer distance drives, and maybe a few back roads. The navigation and infotainment system is actually usable too unlike in every other Ferrari.

I think the California was known as the girl’s Ferrari, definitely not the case with the Portofino in my opinion. More like the gentlemen’s or gentle-ladies Ferrari.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

uhn2000 likes this.
  7. Ann

Ann Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter DiSalvo
    I have had my portfolio for over a year now and love everything about it. I have always wanted one since I was a youngster. I am now almost 80 and glad I can now afford one. It is beautiful handles great and is quite fast. I drive it almost daily and have never had a problem.
    You cannot go wrong driving a Ferrari.

AlfistaPortoghese, tomc and Pis7a2020 like this.
  8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Good points. I love my Cali, and just had a short test drive in a Porto, but my one big take away was how much improved the steering feel was. Tighter, sportier, more direct...T

9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Are you considering a purchase there Tom???

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    To be honest, Andy, I'm waiting to see the Roma in person. I love the exterior apart from the grill, but can't see the grill from the cockpit. So, I could live with it! What I want to see in person is the Roma interior. I'm not a fan based on pics. It seems too busy for a sports/fun car, a tad cluttered with the new center console IMO. Porto interior much more to my taste. And I loved the Pottotest drive. The biggest roadblock, however, is that I just love my Cali!! It's been such a great car, & it really is the best color combo I've seen!

I hope are doing well in these trying times, and enjoying your own Cali...T

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    The Portofino and the Roma are examples of beautiful Italian styling. The Roma (just like my Portofino) will benefit greatly from cleaning the junk off the exterior that clutters up the beauty of the basic design. In the case of the Portofino,the biggest problem is the cheap-looking black plastic vents on the front fenders. In the case of the Roma, the biggest problem is that grill. I don't yet know what I would do about it. I hear that Ferrari offers grill options,which may solve that problem.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great points. I got some sample Roma configs emailed to my by the fine folks at Miller, and it seems there are grill options. The grill also looked less obtrusive with darker colors. There was a vinaccia over tortora sample that configuration that looked primo. Can't wait until they launch the Roma configurator to play with.

As for the Porto front vents, do you mean these? Thanks.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

13. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    #38 Redneck Slim, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    No! I mean the vents behind the front wheels that relieve air pressure in the fender wells. They should be painted body color.

Attached Files:

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Aha. Gotcha. I saw a bianco avus Porto @ Boardwalk with carbon fiber exterior options, including that front vent in CF, and I thought that was a major plus up in terms of looks.
    As I recall, about a $5K option. Worth it IMO...T

15. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I guess tastes differ. I really like the vents to be in black. I considered ordering the Portofino in white so that the contrast could be really high but finally ordered it in Azzurro California which seems to be light enough to provide the wanted contrast. Will know when the car arrives :rolleyes: as the actual colour seems to be darker than the screen renderings

tomc likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've seen a few Azzurro California F-cars, old and new, and I think you're gonna be wowed!
    It's a gorgeous color...T

17. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thank you - nice to get advice from owners!

18. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thanks - no elephant - truly. I honestly wasn't sure what the few comments like this i read meant. I was more concerned about the quality i.e. other Ferrari's are great cars - perhaps this one wasn't. Thanks for taking the time to help me consider further.

19. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thank you - the comparison to Aston interesting as I owned a Vantage previously also... interesting what you say about "ambassadors" - I have heard this from people here in Dubai also. Thanks for helping me out.

mlcor likes this.
  20. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thank you - very interesting. I haven't had such bad feedback re the Aston so this is quite insightful. When we are able to leave the house (Civid lockdown!) I am going to test drive the Ferrari.... looking forward more given your comments. Thanks again.

21. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thank you. I like the masterpiece concept...

REALZEUS likes this.
  22. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    A couple of weeks ago while my wife was taking too much time wandering around Barnes and Noble, I was scanning the auto magazines. I picked one of the Ferrari mags (sorry I do not remember which one) and there was a title article, something like "The Portofino a real Ferrari?" Since I own one, it peaked my interest. The author had apparently panned the California multiple times and had late last year driven a Portofino in a press ride for about 10 minutes and then declared it was a faux Ferrari similar to the California. But the point of this article was that he felt he may have misjudged the car with minimal seat time. So this time he got hours and a couple of days with the car. Summary was very complimentary and at the end he said the Portofino was indeed a real Ferrari. Thank God. Having said that, similar to what others have said, we test drove the Aston Martin, Porsche, Bentley, Maserati and various Mercedes. The Portofino stands out among that crowd distinct and different. There is nothing like a Ferrari and yes, it qualifies. If reminds me of my 458 but more appointed and approachable.

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    tbh... real auto journalism is dead. these morons who judge whether something is a really ferrari or not have no idea what they are talking about. bottom line, buy what you love and drive it like you stole it... your opinion is the only one that matters :).

jumpinjohn and AD211 like this.
  24. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Thanks for this insight. As I have mentioned in previous replies - nothing beats the opinion of owners with experience. Much appreciated.

25. Adrian Saunders

Mar 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adrian Saunders
    Totally agree. Am test driving when quarantine is over! Thank you.