Portofino reliability and poll | FerrariChat

Portofino reliability and poll

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JotaEle, Dec 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Had you known about Roma would you have gone for it instead of Portofino?

1. Yes, I believe they appeal to the same ownership regardless one not being a cabrio

15.4%
  2. No, I prefer the Portofino which is a different kind of product

84.6%
  1. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    During the past weeks we've seen lot of controversy in this forum regarding the Roma, much love and much hate placed into this new model whose mere existence conceptually disconcert some, occasionally in quite a very untidy manner through the pages of the forum.

The California has had it's normal attention and coverage given the many years it has been already in the market, so ownership is quite resourceful for existent owners and future ones alike.

As January will bring me a new Portofino (apparently finished), I seem to be missing some overall information on the reliability, issues and concerns, quality issues and whatever info is of interest for future owners, so at the cost of repeating the topic miserably, I'd dare ask about this overall satisfaction and known issues of this car in which I will I ride from next year.

To heat things up a bit, I would enclose a poll for those with a Portofino order in the oven as well as those who are already owners of one.

Merry Christmas, should that be your thing.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations on your beautiful incoming Portofino!

Ive had mine for nearly a year now with about 1,800 miles. I have no issues whatsoever. It is a wonderful car!

I would have still picked the Portofino over the Roma, because I wanted a car thats a little bit more GT oriented with an opening top.

It would seem they are positioning the Roma as a car with less aggressive styling, but a more aggressive driving experience. This makes sense as it will weigh less without the roof mechanism and they can dial up the performance. Yet, when I put the Portofino in Sport mode, I am not left wanting.

I think you will love the Portofino!

daytona355, MDEL and JotaEle like this.
  3. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    I think there was an earlier thread where people were sharing their experience with their Portos; you could probably do a search and find it. My sole complaint was only putting less than 2000 miles on mine before putting it in storage for the winter. I also wouldn't be interested in the Roma regardless of whether I liked the styling because I wanted a spider. I rather doubt that any performance differences would be noticeable between the Porto and the Roma--presumably the Roma will have the same programmed limits on torque in the first four gears. I definitely prefer the more traditional interior of the Porto; not sold on having touch screens for everything, even leaving the aesthetics aside.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

daytona355 and JotaEle like this.
  4. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    having my portofino for over a year and i love the car, wouldn't swap it for the roma as the main reason i got the portofino is the retractable hard top.
    i managed to do 6500km and no issues with it. if i would swap my portofino with the 812GTS but ill be losing the 2 back seats and i guess the top in the GTS wont be as open as the portofino, plus the price.

5. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Regarding your survey on the Roma; In my opinion the Roma, as a pure coupe, is an exciting addition to the Portofino. In the end two different customer needs are satisfied and it is not a question of better or worse, they are two great cars with different purpose and characteristics. The Portofino remains unique in the Ferrari family with its concept and is (and will be) therefore worth every dollar. For me it is extremely positive that Ferrari has both cars on offer.

Gh21631, daytona355, Pawilly and 2 others like this.
  6. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    I’ve had my Portofino for a couple of weeks now. 1600 KMs so far and a great road trip. Also had our 2 year old (nearly) in the rear seat for Xmas day. He loves it and so do I. There are genuinely so many great things about the car. My only issue is that the roof and roof mechanism In the rear are rather noisey / rattle when roof is on. The demo car I tested didn’t have this issue. So despite the positives I am less than satisfied with this issue... especially for >$400K.

JotaEle likes this.
  7. lfc-Q8

lfc-Q8 Rookie

Oct 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    athbi
    i dont have this issue with my porto, so i suggest you take care to the dealer maybe they need to do some adjustments to fix rattle.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Yes, I will do in the NY. Fingers crossed. No issues like this in the demo FP. Get that sorted and it will be the perfect sports car!

daytona355 likes this.
  9. JotaEle

JotaEle Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Smörg
    Thanks for all your replies.

It seems a vast majority of voters (84%) seem to prefer the Portofino to the Roma, so they would still have gone for a Portofino instead of the Roma even if they could have known the Roma was to be presented making the Portofino, seemingly, a more attractive product to buy.

I've just had a conversation with my Ferrari dealer and he mentioned he was quite surprised he hasn't received any Roma orders so far, as apparently people wasn't very sure about it's style. That, in his words, was quite unheard of for a new model.

daytona355 likes this.
  10. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Well, I would be cautious about reading too much into this, for a couple of reasons. First, the very title of your thread is self-selecting; people like me, who already own a Portofino, or people who are already interested in one, are more likely to respond to this thread. Second, it seems to me that Ferrari's goal for the Roma is to attract people who aren't current Ferrari enthusiasts, and therefore wouldn't be on this forum at all...

11. SamRo

SamRo Rookie

Dec 17, 2018
    The Roma is very pretty - but my fun car has to be convertible so Portofino for me!

12. NZCREW

NZCREW Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Haha. I told my dealer that I loved the Roma. For one reason, no regrets going with the Portofino!!

13. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    I’ve only had my Portofino for about four months and so far it’s been fabulous. It may be the only convertible on the market that looks marginally better with the top up...not that it looks bad with the top down. As far as the Roma, I think it looks terrific, but I wouldn’t have bought it versus the Portofino for one simple reason, it looks too much like an Aston Martin. Don’t get me wrong, I love Aston Martins and have owned several over the years. But I’ve never owned a Ferrari and wanted a Ferrari look. Is it possible I’ll buy a Roma in a few years, maybe. But right now I’m enjoying my Portofino.

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    This is my second GT Ferrari, I bought a Cali T HS new in 2017 and enjoyed the heck out of it. It was Nurburgring Silver just as our Porto is. My goal was the 488 Spider and I bought the Cali T HS so I could order one but ended up getting a mule buyer 2018 488 Spider in May 2018 which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I am second owner but have had it since 100 miles. It's funny but the new Portofino has 400 miles and we are first owner on it. I think my Cali T HS only had delivery miles when I got it off the showroom floor.

Anyway, we may order a Roma later but my new goal is the 812 GTS so the 488 is likely to be traded for a 812 in the near future (sales guy says that the 812 in the garage is a requisite to place the 812 GTS order). We just brought the Portofino home today so I haven't gotten to shake it out. My wife is going to be the primary driver on it as it replaces her AMG GT C Roadster which was a nice car but not as nice as the Portofino. There is a lot to like about this car.

JotaEle and daytona355 like this.
  15. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Great to see such a positive group of experiences of the Portofino. When Ferrari introduced the California, the reception wasn’t as good as it should have been, mainly down to some bland styling initially..... California was updated rapidly and I think was a great car (I have a Cali t,, money where my mouth is) and the drive has always been good, and it got sportier as the years passed. Portofino is an evolution of the Cali, but in my opinion, a step up from it in all areas, so I look forward to upgrading to it in the near future.

in the meantime, Roma, as many have pointed out, is chalk to the Porto cheese, a very different audience will enjoy that car. I’m a little surprised orders are thin on the ground, if that is the general consensus and not just the one dealers experience, as it’s still a first edition ferrari launch and its rare the factory haven’t pre-sold the first 500 to their collector clients already, and set up the first two years order book! If they are that easy to get as a result, maybe we could all get a discount on one (Hahahaha, as if eh?), I’ll take one in blu California to match my Cali!

16. bmcginn

bmcginn Karting

Dec 11, 2005
    I’m actually not that surprised the order book is thin. While I think the Roma is a beautiful car, I’m not sure it’s a collectible car. And more importantly, I think the target audience for the Roma are Portofino buyers who most certainly are very happy with their Portofinos.

Autolove likes this.