PORTOFINO TEST DRIVE | FerrariChat

PORTOFINO TEST DRIVE

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by doccharlie954, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doccharlie954

doccharlie954 Formula Junior

Jul 27, 2010
    Just got back from driving the new Portofino. Yes, it looks better and is faster then the Cali T. I just don't know if it's that much better. Dealer said average build is about $235k nicely equipped. If I had back my Cali T , I really don't think I would switch unless I had money to burn. Ride quality is the same. Truthfully, I like the interior better on the T. But, that is up to the individual to decide. On a side note, TOM buy the F-12 and enjoy life!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki and uhn2000 like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks for the write up. Nice looking in blue. $235K is closing in on early, high (by F-car standards) F12 territory.
    I'll run your suggestion by the wife!

3. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Tom, just sneak over to the dealership get the F - 12. Bring it home . When the wife sees it there might be a SH_T storm but she will learn to love it. You only live once. Enjoy it while u still can. That's why I bought the lambo! A few more years and I won't be able to get in the damn thing.!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

andruslik likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    My wife and I are signed up for next weekend here in Austin. Looking forward to it.

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Doc...My wife is a peach. She loves the F-12. Her only proviso is that I can only own one Ferrari @ a time! Which seems pretty reasonable to me.

Actually, I am due to test drive the Porto tomorrow morning @ Boardwalk. Right before I \ go out of town. The flight will be a good opp to do some mental cost-benefit analysis on new V8TT vs. used V12 vs. standing pat w/ the ivory/chocolate wonder.

Hope your still loving that awesome looking Huracan, Doc!

T

6. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Enjoy Tom. Remember, your only here one time so make the best of it. Safe travels. ..

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Drove the Porto this morning. Thanks to Julie, Jeff and Steve for fitting me in before my trip!

No need for a new thread so I'll piggyback on Doc's. Boarding in a few so I'll keep it short.

Steering is great. Tight and direct. Exhaust sound is very good. No sign of turbo lag, even when dawdling around town in Comfort. Good sight lines with top down; didn't drive with top up. Unlike the last car I drove with an iPad for a info center, you can turn the display off! Handsome car with top up and down. Standard wheels look fine in person. To be honest, couldn't see them from the cockpit, and didn't care once I started driving.

Steering wheel. Busy, buttons with buttons. But it now has a normal horn placement!

Photos courtesy of my lovely wife.

T

anunakki and uhn2000 like this.
  8. doccharlie954

Jul 27, 2010
    Ok Tom, F-12 pre owned or new Portofino. Opinions please. Is this car that much better. It's going to cost you 100k plus your Car to move into the Portofino. For what you are gonna lose on your car think long and hard. Good luck. Remember, you can always go to the dark side!! Doc

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #9 tomc, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
    To be honest, I can't answer that right now. The opportunity to personalize a new Ferrari to my and my wife's spec would be a dream come true. Likewise, there is nothing like a V12. It's a great conundrum to have! I think I need to test drive a V12!

T

10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    More semi random thoughts, before we take off, the standard aluminum air /heat vents look cheesy. Not befitting a $200+K car IMO. Passenger display did nothing for me, but then again I was the driver. Liked the new TFT display which showed engine temps, tire pressure and temp, voltage, etc. Cruise control interface is yards better. Leather package, not sure if it was standard, was quite nice. Standard steering wheel has a nice feel to it, but it would benefit from the CF/LED upgrade.
    T

11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    If one doesnt prioritize the Portofino hardtop then I think the Huracan is the better choice. To me the Cali/Portofino selling point has always been the retractable hardtop.

12. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Loved my test drive as well but did find something weird about the steering, a funny dead spot (glad yours did not have that). Additionally since I was coming from a CaliTHS I could see the softer side of the Portofino which was very welcomed but it leads me to believe that there is room to make it more aggressive hence I am waiting till they "hopefully" release an HS pack because I think it will almost be a 488 with a trunk and some space to squeeze the kids in :) I heard there will be plenty of options coming for this car to increase Ferrari margins.

13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    I would get the F12, as there are some nice specs out there.

14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I have owned and driven my F12 for over 20,000 kms and I also test drove the Portofino last week on a short trip.

I felt that the steering feel was a little too soft and somewhat vague, however I am not buying it to take on the track. To be honest the Portofino is utterly brilliant at what it does and I think it is without peer.

The F12 on the other hand is an absolute animal. Huge HP with the noise to go with it.

If I could only choose one then it would be the F12.

Andial likes this.