Portofino Test Drive | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Portofino Test Drive

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Ferro458, May 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Its as pretty cool alternative to an F12.

2. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I was thinking about the F12 and still find myself drawn to the For Sale ads. I’ve now happily committed to the PF.

I think the PF looks great, sort of F12 812, and the retractable hardtop is the feature that sells it for me. If it didn’t have this then I would definitely have the F12.

So the answer of which to get is quite simple to me. If you want the RHT the Portofino, if your not bothered about it then F12.

3. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have a California T with the handling package and the F12. The F12 is a completely different car. You really need to test them back to back. I agree the hard top convertible is nice to have. It really depends on what you are looking for. The backseats in the California/Portofino (which is have driven) should not be a factor in your decision as they can only hold luggage or grocories

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You should try high quality, super light, wider wheels and tires on your Cali.

The OE wheels are horrible slugs, boat anchors that the car desperately struggles to "pull up" before actually making any headway off the mark or change direction. They are the main reasons why the car doesn't feel as fast. Take them off and try lifting them and you'll see what I mean.

5. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Here's a phone picture of the Portofino I drove today. Nero Daytona / cuoio.

They really did a good job dialing in the engine and transmission. Shifts are quick and firm, very fast response to the paddles.

Steering is quick but light, very nice.

Feels just as solid as a closed coupe, did not detect any flex or rattles or creak from the roof.

Driving in sport you hear the exhaust at all times but it's pleasant, with no drone.

I'm 6'2" and had plenty of room including headroom. The rear seat room does not look much different from the Cali.

With magride it rides so comfortably that you don't feel like you're in a sports car. Would like to drive one with the standard suspension.

Every car seen so far has the Sport exhaust with silver tips and internal ribs in the tips. Would like to see what the standard tips look like.

6. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Great post.

I'm on record as saying I love it in Black. Any pics with the top down?

Thanks.

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Black is my favorite car color,but after seeing a Portofino in black I don't think it looks good in that color.

AD211 likes this.
  8. XDINO

XDINO Karting

Feb 20, 2008
    Chicago / Naples
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sorry no top down pics. Personal opinion, it kind of resembles an F12 with top up, looks more like a Cali with top down.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    First post has two pics of a Nero Porto with the top down...T

10. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    I know, that's why I dropped a "like" on it.

The more, the merrier. Black seems to be a rare choice. Several have said they don't like it. But I love it.

11. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    UK test drives start in July, as part of a European tour. The tour goes from dealer to dealer and I’ve been told that you will meet at your dealership and then a Ferrari test driver / instructor will be passenger whilst you go out for a drive.

Each dealer will have test drives for a few days. My dealer has test drives at the end of July and I’m booked in.

12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Comparing like to like cars, not surprisingly, the Portofino is significantly better than was the Cali 30, Cali T, and Cali T 70th with handling package I have or currently own. It was more torque, more horsepower, more stylish (by far), and you could actually play with it in corners a bit.

Comparing it to a 488 or 12 cylinder car isn’t fair. Those are different cars. Different purposes. Different weights.

I really was impressed with everything about the Portofino. Given the cars I have, that doesn’t even make sense. And yet, it’s that good of a car.

And as the color has come up here, the test drive was in a Nero Daytona, like my Lusso T. I think I’m doing it in that with a splash of red leather inside.

XDINO and tomc like this.