Possible first Ferrari? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Possible first Ferrari?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Drdds, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    That is an extremely kind offer from you! However, I think for now I am still just hypothetical. Thank you very much though.

By asking the question of that car above though, I wanted to just get a sense of the range of cars I could be looking at. Getting experience at shopping smart so to speak. And by shopping smart, what I mean is knowing what I would be bying and buying deliberately, not obliviously. However, I think maybe a this point, I just need to save for an improved budget, and then when things get downright serious, call on the vast knowledge resources in this forum by sharing potential cars I am interested in. Clearly, I had a lot to learn when I first joined! And with all the discussion, I have a much better idea of what I am getting in to.

2. DINKFerrariOwner

Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Steve Basso
    hey dinoart
    yeah that my car. I was like how the hell did this guy get pics of my car. yeah you got it from Rich. how is the condition of the one you got from him? its cool that you are on Ferrari chat. Was that black one your first Ferrari?

3. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    You will still be money WAY AHEAD buying an outstanding example. The ownership experience will also be infinitely more enjoyable. I also noticed some naffy looking stereo crap in the trunk. That is ALWAYS a red flag. Italians engineers have always played a sort of "electrical jenga". As in: electrics are just enough for their intended purpose. Once aftermarket crap is spliced in, all bets are off.

thorn and Drdds like this.
  4. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Just to clarify: I was responding to the Blu Sera 328 with the last post.

Drdds likes this.
  5. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    If you buy in the type of car Mike996 & Nerofer did, you will be a HAPPY man.

Drdds likes this.
  6. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I totally learned that with re-doing most of the wiring on my Ducati 900SS, so that speaks volumes! Thanks again Mike.

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    It could be good, it could not be so good.

A car with over 100,000 miles should come with a thick stack of service records.

-F

Drdds likes this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    IMO, the asking price is much too high for 112k miles. Frankly, I would baulk at the mileage, even at a fraction of the listing price though I know other folks here would be OK with the mileage as long as they were comfortable it has been well maintained mechanically and in decent condition. Personally, as far as my wallet is concerned, I don't think it's worth even into the 30k price due to the mileage but perhaps I have an incorrectly low view of the "value" of these cars.

But if you really are interested, I'd send Kcab a bottle of whatever he likes to drink and ask him to take a look at it (the car, not the bottle) and report back! ;)

Drdds likes this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I can't comment on the prices for the US market, but while the mileage in itself should not deter a potential buyer, it nevertheless means that a lot of things must have been already rebuilt on the car, such as suspension (all the rubber bushings, shocks, etc...) ; probably the engine also (usually, 100.000 miles / 160.000 kms is "a point of reference" for "thinking about" a rebuilt); brakes, etc...and by this I mean, rebuilt recently: if the bushings have been done, but 60.000 miles ago, then they must be redone now.
    I maybe mistaken (but I shouldn't at this time of the day, as it is the morning coffee here...) but the side bolsters on the passenger seat bottom (or the "leather parts that supports the thighs", if I'm not clear) looks to have the stitching strangely low to me?
    There are, as already said, a few things that are missing or not OEM.
    But the color combination is very nice...
    Rgds

Drdds likes this.
  10. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I think you have to decide whether you want a car or an investment; a high-mileage car will cost about the same to maintain as a garage queen (whether you drive it or not) but it will never be worth as much when you come to sell it. On the other hand you won't feel guilty every time the odometer ticks off another mile.

And if you buy a car that needs work then it will cost you more than a car with the work all done; but and least if you do the work, you'll know whats been done and to what standard.

So the choice is yours, it's good advice to buy the best car you can afford, but whatever you buy, buy it for the right reasons.

Drdds likes this.
  11. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Doing a quick search of prices, based on what I've found, in my opinion, asking prices for 308i (2 valve) in the $60,000-$80,000 are too high.

Just shooting from the hip, I feel like 308i 2-valve car should be $60,000 or maybe less. I guess the market is what it is. 80's Porsche asking prices seem to be in the same range.

And based on that quick search, $60,000 should buy a good car, not a POS that needs a lot of work.

-F

Drdds likes this.
  12. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes this is my first 308. I owned two dinos before but sold them over ten years ago and shoulda kept them. May be it's a bad habit, I bought another 308 (not from Rich) a month after this black 308. They're both 85 QVs. Rich's place was a cool shop with 4 308s (including yours and mine) and 2 328s. The black 308 is a nice car but needed belt service and smog. It was a hassel but I got it done with $$$. I was lucky this 308 drives so good. I replaced original muffler with a Tubi. My other 308 is a prugna (plum) and creama with deep spoiler and won platinum at 2018 Pasadena FCA meet.

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mileage is just a number, you can't draw any major conclusions based only on that data point. There can be a car with far less mileage but worse condition. Sitting parked in a garage under a cover for most of it's life is not the healthiest existence for a Ferrari. There are numerous indications of an engine's health - does it use oil? What are the compression and leak down numbers? Even it's physical appearance can indicate weather it's been looked after or ignored. It's true that for Ferrari's in particular, mileage does affect values but in the case of the 328 mentioned above that hit is already absorbed. they are asking $50k, maybe you could talk them out of it for $45. In my view it's a potentially great deal. However, If you are a person with zero mechanical aptitude or skills maybe a 30 year old exotic car is not the best thing for you. There is going to be an element of crapshoot in any used car purchase, no way out of that.

miketuason and Drdds like this.
  14. Drdds

Drdds Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Full Name:
    Bryan Larson
    I totally agree with all these points. I am definitely capable of maintenance, I’ve spent lots of time under and in Audis, BMWs, dodges, and motorcycles. True that a Ferrari is more exotic than anything I’ve ever owned, but I feel I am handy enough to do the maintenance on a 308/328. I also agree about the mileage being only a price of information. In fact, for the sake of this learning exercise, i sent the dealer an email to ask about compression and leak down testing and if it had been done. At any rate, thanks kcab for your reply!