Possible to have GTO exhaust note on 599 ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Possible to have GTO exhaust note on 599 ?

Discussion in '612/599' started by KEC35, Nov 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not sure about the mufflers, but that is not where the sound comes from on a GTO. It is the 6-1 headers and lack of precats that generate the music. All the pipes on the GTO are different lengths compared to the 599, but not sure about the rear mufflers. Here is the contrast between the GTO and GTB exhaust. The red is the GTO catalysts. The GTB has precats in the 3-2-1 headers and primary catalysts in the single pipes. If you wanted an actual GTO exhaust, you would need to swap it out completely from front to rear, I believe, and that would be prohibitively expensive. Fabio now has 6-1 headers for the 599 GTB available.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Makuono likes this.
  2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I hadn't thought about it but moving the cats into the headers on the GTO probably lets them make cold start smog where they wouldn't with the cat in the same place as the GTB.

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The cats are not actually in the headers. If you look at the drawing, there is a 6-1 collector that attaches to the catalyst. Fabio's headers have the same set-up.

4. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
    I have had the fiammenghi engineering 6-1 headers and exhaust on my 599 gtb for 6 months now. nothing but compliments and no cel and passes Texas inspection. With valves open 116 decibels.

5. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
    That is Fabio's exhaust.

6. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    Makuono likes this.
  7. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
    That looks like a real decibel recording device. I did mine with a phone app. Ultra low tech.

8. FIN612

FIN612 Karting

May 10, 2017
    Finland
    I guess you have also Fabio's dual H-pipe, which makes softer and more civilized sound for the street car? I have straight pipes and different cats positions. Better to keep valves closed up to 4k rpm...

9. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    hat a sound, it appear a GTO ...

F3RN4ND0 likes this.
  10. Wegentop

Wegentop Rookie

Oct 11, 2015
    Full Name:
    J
    I recently installed the iPE exhaust with cat-bypass pipe. I don't think it's similar to the GTO at all, but it's really loud in my standard.

11. contadino

contadino Karting

Oct 18, 2016
    ITALY
    Looking for some F 599 sounds on youtube just have found those clips...

Bas likes this.
  12. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
    purchased a decibel meter to teat Fabios exhaust 6-1 headers with valves open. Cold start rev to 3000 rpm, 131 decibels. when it stops raining I will video a high rev test. My compliments to Fabio for making my Ferrari 599 experience what I believe Ferrari meant it to be.

Makuono likes this.
  13. kiwifaza

kiwifaza Karting

May 12, 2009
    New Zealand
    #63 kiwifaza, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    I have a complete,front to back GTO exhaust on my 599GTB, it sounds amazing, and its way different that the sound of a HGTE with no secondary cat, i can tell you it is NOT a direct fit, Be assured, also the primary cat IS part of the 6 in to 1 headers, the biggest other problem is the the ecu`s operate in a cross 3 patern ,IE each ecu runs 3 cyl on one bank and 3 on the other AND there are two O2 sensors per bank in the gtb systems and only one in the in the GTO system, this means that your standard ecu will simply not work, i sent mine to fab speed and they switched of the second O2 sensors, there was an italian guy who posted on my "599 Project track day Rebuild" thread that was a great source of help and infomation, i believe he was building a complete system(edit, i just checked the old thread its was Fabio), pm me if you require any more info, but for what its worth, i love the sound of my car its, ridiculous, BUT, you`ll never truly get the exact same sound as the intake Pelnum design is different, all that said ,I have only heard a gto on song in various car reviews like that of Chris Harris, and two me my car sounds pretty much the same as a gto, I just listened to the above post/video, sounds very very close to my car and if that system is a direct fit, don`t bother chasing a GTO system, its to much work when Fabios system sounds the same

LightGuy, Makuono, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  14. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    What is the name of Fabio's company or link please ?

15. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
  16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David

Thank you.

I went to the site but all I see are cat bypass pipes like many offer.
    Granted some have a "H" tube connecting the two exhaust sides but other than that they look similar to other cat bypass pipes.
    Is that what makes them sound different ?

Or am I missing something ?

17. racdok49

racdok49 Rookie

Oct 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    john racanelli
    I believe Fabio makes each set of headers individually. Just email him. It is the headers that change the sound.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio is working on a new web site that will have all his latest creations. Look on the other Ferrari site if you want to see more details. He is a sponsor there.

19. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Terry, In your opinion, Fabio's new exhaust is going to do exactly what? Is this about trying to get a GTO sound or more HP? I see the 6-1 headers, the new cat, the straight pipe, but then is he still using the 599 muffler? Someone also mentioned they were very happy with the straight pipe from Fabspeed, what's the difference?

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- Both. On the 575M, Fabio's exhaust is showing about a 50 hp gain due to better scavenging and the elimination of the bottleneck of the four precats in the headers and the 3-1 headers. 599 has a similar set-up to the 575M.

The Fabspeed straight pipes are eliminating the primary cats, leaving only the four precats. Precats are put in the headers so they heat up faster. New catalyst technology like that in the GTO does not need precats. The straight pipes cut down on back pressure, but that is about it.

21. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

50hp is a serious jump, but in a street car with 618hp already how much more do you need? Still, thanks for the clarification as I think about what direction I want to take my car.

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    George- I am putting a set on my 575M this spring.

23. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi

This is the best investment you can do on a 550/575/599.
    The system transfers the car into another dimension.

When you have it, you think "damn, why didn't I bought it earlier" ?

Time will come to fit the system at my 599 GTB too.

Daniel

24. 200846443@qq.com

Feb 1, 2016
    Hey mate nice exhaust you got there, did it in SSCC?

25. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Hi Taz, Sorry to come back to this but the subject really fascinates me. So what is the difference between Fabio's 6-1 set up and the Kline lightweight 4 sets of 3? It looks like the installation is easier on the Kline. The Kline looks much lighter than OEM with no cats at all as opposed to Fabio's with a cat.
    Your thoughts?