Possible to import ZFFFF 599? | FerrariChat

Possible to import ZFFFF 599?

Discussion in '612/599' started by flackmaster, Jul 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flackmaster

flackmaster Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    David A. Flack
    Sounds like a question from the '80s, which admits how out of touch I am - is it even possible to (legally) import and register a non-USA 599? I am particularly interested in a 599 that is in Dubai.....and if it is, how foolish would it be to consider buying a used 599 from Dubai, even with dealer stamped service intervals. Any referrals to legal import channels welcome. Thank you.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there are so many 599s here why wld you go through that brain damage?
    im pretty sure the answer is no but am not certain. i think you can get it into canada but not sure about the USA.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  3. flackmaster

flackmaster Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    David A. Flack
    Simple - unique color combination. Beyond that, I agree that avoiding the rest of the headaches would be advisable. In reality, I will probably stay on the sideline until a USA car that lights my fire comes available....and in the meantime, keep saving for an F12 or newer...

4. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
    I wouldn’t recommend you to do this.

Moe

lee-o likes this.
  5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I have to agree with some of the others, why would do this the 599s are pretty plentiful in the US. But I believee Ferrari makes a "world" car so may be able to do it. But to get it into CA it must have a sticker (in the engine compartment) that says something like "meets CA emissions standards", if not BIG hassel. If it has the sticker it will be no problem for other states since CA emissions standards are the most restrictive. Not sure that cars not intended for the US have that sticker but my 2008 612 origionally sold on the East Coast had that sticker as I believe now all US Ferraris meet CA standards.

6. flackmaster

flackmaster Rookie

Feb 26, 2019
    Full Name:
    David A. Flack
    I have encountered 3 ZFFFF cars. One is in the USA, Florida Title with the indicated CA emissions sticker, but no indication of DOT/FMVSS as you would expect on a USA VIN plate. Current owner does not have history of import/federalization. Other two cars are out of the country - but with one already "in", that raised the question of importing. I understand the car would always be "grey". Unless it were a well traveled "straight shot" to import a ZFFFF car, I will most likely pass, but for someone else researching the forums, it might be nice to hear from anyone with hands on experience or a clear answer. Thanks to all for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

7. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well......it depends.
    first question to answer is does the car meet DOT and EPA, even tho it was originally delivered to Dubai? the answer to that depends on many things so there is no definite answer other than asking ferrari about this vin in particular, and they dont like to tell you. but they might tell the dubai dealer.

if it does not meet DOT and EPA, you will have to, and even tho you think that cannot be so hard, they will make it hard, like $25-50k hard.
    regardless of that, you then have to get it here, which will cost you about 10-15k all in (meaning 2.5% duty, and all the other govt blackmail bs taxes are included. i just did this, so i am pretty sure about the numbers. )

once it is here, you will then have to figure out how to get around the 'sales' tax that the state in which you want to title and license it will try to charge. in texas that is a little over 8%.

do the math, this import rarely makes sense for anything other than cars that are older than 25 years, and collectible.

lee-o, Skidkid, donv and 2 others like this.
  8. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I think Ross is spot on in his evaluation.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Anything is possible for enough money. The question is why you would want to do it-- if you are sentimentally attached to the car, for example, then sure. If you just think it's a great deal, then I'd pass.

Modena_2003 likes this.
  10. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
    Ive bought a Qatar 599. Be prepared to fix multiple issues. The Qatar dealership is a joke. You wouldnt believe the things i Found on my car.. and they received the price of premium Middle east dealer so that says it all..

People there are so rich they don't drive them because they own loads of Cars so definately don't buy extremely low mileage cars. I would Never recommend a 10 year old car below 50000km and i.mean any make.. not driving is far worse then regular use

lee-o likes this.