post Hurricane Wilma | Page 3 | FerrariChat

post Hurricane Wilma

Discussion in 'Florida' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cochese

Cochese Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rick
    WOW!!! I hadn't heard of any cars FLIPPING!!

And while having 2 wires to one area might be "redundant" it sure seems like an acceptable problem when you're out of power all over the area for 2+ days.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yea, it's more common in industrial or institutional users, actually...

More common is to rely on 'standby' power generators, but as we saw happen in New Orleans you gotta have FUEL, and plenty of it!

Hope you are ok, put the portable generator AWAY from open windows! We had a sad outcome here after Rita, they put it in the closet so as not to make too much noise.......:( Killed four, including some children...

You just sweep it all up, and go on with life,

From Galveston,
    BigTex

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That SUV still looks almost new! I'd tip it back over first!

Forget the limo, you'd strain something!

Hope ya'll are back to normal soon!

4. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Saw that stretch Monday afternoon - what a sight. I was a little blase after 2 storms that hit last year, and all of FL between us adn the storm - now I feel like a serious idiot - esp. since the propane tank wasn't nearly as full as I thought. Thankfully we had enough sterno and water to make it until publix et al opened. Pompano is strange, some areas look like tornados hit like heck, some, like my parking lot, looked cleaner than usual. Still lots of trees down, lots of siding, roofs, etc gone, but even for the lack of power still (our grid has power, our building does not - 1 transformer connection in the back yard is out - imagine how long it'll take them to get to that...I'm shuddering already) We've put out a sign for fpl and everything but we know we're just a blip on the radar screen at this point. Fema's official word now is up to 750/generator reimbursement.

5. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    I still can't beleive the Cat 1 or low Cat 2 they are reporting! I understand micro-burst and all that, but this was a real mother...

I'm still down... on the DFL list with FPL....

Jason - have you spoken to John at JCM to see if he's been hit?

6. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Frank, Johnny is good to go, he just got power at the shop yesterday, and is powered up at home as well. No major damage at the shop at all, the back wood fence came down on those older cars, but aside from that, no major damage thankfully. Everything else seems to be good both at his home and work, just some screens down and a few shutters off etc. How did you come through? Hopefully everything is OK down your way, I see you're still on generator - have faith, they seem to be making big strides, hopefully they'll get you up today or tomorrow.