Post your Aftermarket Steering wheel! | FerrariChat

Post your Aftermarket Steering wheel!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hawaii, Sep 1, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I'm thinking of removing the stock Testarossa wheel and storing it and replacing it with a aftermarket MOMO or even a wheel off another F car ..... I love the 512TR wheel. Is that the same as the 348 wheel? I like em thicker like the 512TR. Any good place to buy them? Not much on Ebay. Any suggestions or pics? Thanks for posting them pics!

2. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I'd like to know this, as well.

The standard steering wheel is a bit blah, and some of the Momo items look cool, but I don't know much about them.

Who has a pic of the 512 wheel?

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Great minds really do think alike! :)

I put a 512TR steering wheel on my 91 Testarossa for the same reason Hawaii. I also like the thicker rim. I need a thicker rim for my hands as the narrower Testarossa rim would make my hand cramp.

Sorry to say but this is a dealer item. I paid $850.00 from my local Ferrari Dealer, Ferrari of Central Florida. I does come complete though....wheel, center horn pad, horn button, hub and bolts.

I found that all the "modern" momo wheels look way to ricer....ala "fast and the foolish...I mean furious " Even a 512 M wheel looks a bit out of place.

A 512TR wheel will bolt right on, no guage blockage or signal problems. It's slightly smaller and fits just right.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

4. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
  5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Yes, that is the same wheel. What a great price ! WOW ! But....what is that leather thing on the back. Is is really a full functioning wheel? The hub is missing. That will cost you about 100.00 I believe you can order the generic MOMO hub but don't know the model #.

Also noticed some "digs" or knicks in the ebay wheel. Remember you will be staring at this wheel long after that low price is forgotton. My wheel was bought new with no marks and it even came with "leather smell " included. :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Interesting wheel. I do see the flaws.
    Shamile is right. you would need the hub, and be careful of the size of the momo wheels.

From what I've seen most of them are about 260 mm which is ~11 inches, and your wheel is probably 14 inches.
    I'd find out about that unless you want to change the size.

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Nice job Steve. :cool:

Way better than my stock. I haven't made up my mind about the dish depth of a future wheel yet.
    Actually, I haven't seen many different depths at all.
    Anyone try the different shapes available? like the modified "D"?

9. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Nice shots Steve. Do you like the after market pedals? They look great. That will be the next project after the wheel. Now, doesn't the stock TR wheel just unbolt after you pry the horn ring off....then you just intall the new MOMO wheel on the stock existing hub??? You don't need to buy another hub do you??? The spacer you oput in was just preference right?

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, can highly recommend the pedal covers (something you get to enjoy with every use).

The MOMO bolt pattern directly fits the stock TR hub so nothing special required (you can decide for yourself whether to reuse the ring-shaped cover that hides the screw heads -- I didn't).

Spacer not required, but, unless you and Jean Todt could share a wardrobe ;), I'd recommend it.

11. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

12. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #12 Hawaii, Sep 2, 2007
    Is that wheel suede or something......looks like it's covered with somethng huh? I thought I saw just the large plastic cover on ebay a while back....anyone remember if it was sold?
    Also, the throttle pedal has a kick out for Heel toeing??? different brand maybe? I wonder which is better..with it or with out?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Steve
    Who's "Jean Todt"???

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Its suede. Personally, I don't care for that plastic center cover at all.
    Steve gave me the idea to simply remove the trim ring that covers the bolts/screws.
    Just that little thing made a difference so I'm going to find some SS items to replace the originals as well until I can find a wheel like the momo in the picture.

16. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    At least on my cars, the ferrari uses the same bolt pattern/size as Momo. I had some four spoke wheels that were fairly flat black leather that I installed on my cars. One of these days I will figure out how to post photos. Anyway, I don't what to say which model but I have been searching ebay for about four years and if I tell you guys I will never find another one. The Momo wheels are lots nicer to grip and look better than stock!

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr

17. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Jeff, if the photo is in your computer you just hit reply to post and scroll down to where it reads "manage attachments."

Then upload it and it displays at the end of your post.

If the problem is that the photos are outside of your box and you don't have a scanner just take them to Walmart and have them put on a CD disk. - cheap - then you just put it in the cup holder (CD) and ignore the photo reader that Walmart asks if you want installed and upload them from here.

Thank you for your post.

BTW, does anyone know where to get that wheel pictured above? Other than Ferrari?

I see a Momo that is a dead on match except that the red stripe is yellow. - and I don't care for yellow. :)

18. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #19 WILLIAM H, Sep 8, 2007
  19. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Very, Very nice! Do you have a close up of the wheel? Is that suede?

20. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think its Alcantara but get a dark color bcus the red is already showing dirt & its impossible to wash

21. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Close find. It is probably a near or exact match to the other one, but I see now that the metal center is a triangle, not just the plastic overlay.

I really want one with a rim like that, but with the center/spoke arrangement like the one that steve shows.
    Perhaps there isn't one.

22. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Since we are talking about steering wheels, anyone know where I can get one recovered? It's not for a Ferrari, but I want a very nice job.

Shiny Side Up!
    Bill

23. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

For a non Ferrari.....say a Porsche (ewww) :) you can use Alan Gun Leather in Plantation FL. They have a very good rep. and have been in business for yearrrrrs.

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !

24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004