Potential f355 F1 owner. Please give input. | FerrariChat

Potential f355 F1 owner. Please give input.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Busjunky, Jun 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Hello everyone! My names Dave and I live in Northern Ohio. I own a vintage VW restoration shop called Leroux’s Autowerks, however, I’m a Porsche fanatic and also offer repair service on all Pcars pre 1998.
    A local friend of mine has a f355 F1 car he’s offered me at a fair price, but it needs repair. I’m trying to gauge a good price as these cars have nearly doubled in the last few years. It’s a 1998 F1 coupe, black in color, tan leather interior. Just over 27,000 miles. No accident history, near mint original paint. Interior is in outstanding condition aside from the leather dash is wrinkled and beginning to peel back in one small spot. It does not have the sticky button problem, yet. He paid $60k for it a few years back. Unfortunately there’s little to no service history on the car. Which is a deal breaker for most buyers.
    I have rode in the car and it was quite lovely, however, after a year or so of ownership the transmission became lethargic. As if the clutch was slipping. He’s no mechanic, just an enthusiastic owner and self diagnosed it as a failed trans pump motor. He sourced a new one and installed it himself. I’m not certain the system has been properly bled, but since the install, the car will not start as it’s in 1st gear. It’s possible the clutch system could of been the culprit. I’m not stressed about the repairs needed. My thoughts were to make the repairs and do a major service on the car, engine out, belts and the whole 9 yards. Then enjoy the car for a season or two and sell it later on. I’m hoping I can do a proper bleed on the system, by pass the ignition and cycle the pump. Then hopefully return it park and start the vehicle. From what I’ve read a SD computer may be needed. I believe my scanners are capable of communication with the F1 system, but I haven’t done my home work on that. He offered me the car for $60k initially, but over the last week I’ve expressed my concern for needing more major repairs, I’m not comfortable paying that and rolling the dice. I’ve currently got him down to $50k. I’m thinking more like the upper $30k to low $40k would be a more realistic price. That could be a ridiculous amount as I’m not in the Ferrari market, or could be a steal?. What’s the groups thoughts? If you need more information please let me know.
    This is a personal deal and the car is not offered publicly.

WATSON likes this.
  2. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    30k to 40k would be ridiculous yes..Sounds like a good deal at 50k!

tres55 and Qavion like this.
  3. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    So you would pay $50k for one with no history and needing repair? Although I don’t see it happening, but if I had to sell it as-is I certainly not in it to lose money haha.

4. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    As cheap as possible. When these cars are taken car of, they are prime and so much fun. Sounds like this car is going to need help getting there. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

5. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I'll buy it right now for $50k. PM me the guy's number.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I would say it’s fine unless the owner is lying.
    Couple of quick checks

0 did you push the fob to disarm the system
    1 does transmission light flash when you turn key to on and if it goes out after 10 to 15 seconds the transmission I]may work and is just stuck in gear
    2 slid jack under motor and jack transmission up about an inch
    3 see if car will change gears as it does not need to start for that

Also if transmission light is flashing then it senses a problem
    If the number 1 gear indicator flashes there’s a problem

Report back as there may be very little issue then car will start and you can ensure no engine problem

Qavion likes this.
  7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You also said the transmission seemed lethargic
    The transmission operation has little to do with the clutch. If the transmission changes gears it’s working
    Now if car is slow to take off or you feel clutch slipping it needs a clutch or an adjustment, or bled

8. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Thanks for the reply! To be honest the car is in outstanding condition cosmetically. I have no doubt it was well taken care of. Having personally rode in the car, I know it’s solid. To be honest I’m already sitting on a lot of cars, some projects, some not. I just want to make sure I don’t over pay, if it sits for 3 years and I decide to sell it, I don’t want to lose money. Being that these cars could be had for $60k just a few years ago. I’m a little embarrassed for even having to join this group for input. Had it been a 911 I would know exactly where to be ‍♂️ I’ll most likely scoop it up...

9. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    $50k is a steal. Basically parts value.

10. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Thanks for the tip. I’ve tried none of these. Battery is disconnected. There’s no concern about the condition of the engine. I know it’s a good running car. I’ve read a ton of threads prior to making this post. Seems a motor mount can collapse and the shift actuator can drag on the frame causing a CEL for the TCU.? This isn’t a scenario where the cars screwed and he’s just trying to off it.
    Originally, I agreed to take the car in to fix it for him
    It drove as if the clutch was slipping. Sometimes the gear wouldn’t engage fully. I’m going off what he’s told me. But he said that he’d apply throttle and the car wouldn’t move. Like it was slipping. Then the following it day it would drive fine for like a 1/2 hour. Then the same thing would happen. Also stated that shifting from forward to reverse it would do it very slowly.
    For the last two years he’s tried to get me to fix the car for him, but in return I expressed interest in buying it. He had no interest in selling it. So all the information I got I know is honest because he really doesn’t want to sell the car. Some property became available that his family use to own and he doesn’t have the capital right now. Hence the offering of the car. I just have little knowledge of the 355 market.
    i just thought it’d be a fun investment I could enjoy for a season or two with a nice return. I’d even consider trading it for a v10 R8 once it’s dialed in and UTD on maintenance.
    It seems that regardless of the issues, $50k is definitely a reasonable entry point. I just want to make sure I keep my head above water no matter the outcome of its condition.

11. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Thanks for your input. I’m definitely feeling more comfortable about making the investment. I feel like I’m going against my flat6 roots ‍♂️

12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    A lot of guys here have Porsches. Myself included. The F355 is apples to oranges in a sense. It's a worthwhile endeavour...you won't be disappointed once you have the car sorted out.

13. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Awesome! Honestly, man. Thanks for chiming in! I’m am a fan of the mid engine layout. Just never considered Ferrari. Looking forward to this. I’m gonna go over there tomorrow and seal the deal. I’ll keep it updated as this progresses. Cheers! Dave.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    It will most likely be an easy fix
    It should still shift out of 1st without starting
    I can go through all gears without it running
    The transmission shifting should not be affected unless the transmission light is on of gear number is flashing

15. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That being said if the clutch is not moving in and out then maybe but never seen that
    If this was happening I would. Think the transmission light that flashes until it gets pressure should stay flashing

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Let me know once you buy it. It’s a great price

17. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    Grant, do you mind if I bounce a few things off you? I’ll send you a pm.

18. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Yes..

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am not going to comment on how you are treating your friend ....

$40K for that car? He is getting raped.
    $50K for that car? It's good value
    $60K for that car? Still acceptable.

Although, I am not like most buyer. I would buy a car without a PPI but these 355 don't intimidate me.

Senshi458 and steved033 like this.
  20. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Compression check minimum, better yet leak down. If that's good go for it.

21. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    for $50k even if you need to rebuild the entire F1 system and engine you'd probably still come out ahead

22. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    It sounds like the vehicle was stopped in first gear and sat for a long period of time. When this happens, the friction plate can become frozen due to leaky F1 fluid and this seizes the transmission as the actuator detects resistance and cannot (and should not) break the clutch free. The clutch will need to be removed and cleaned. While in there it doesn't hurt to repack the grease, reline the friction plate, resurface the flywheel, replace triple-seals and throwout bearing, etc. It sounds like a lot but it is a pretty simple job. Cleaning is likely all you need to get the car moving though. Usually though in this condition, the actuator still attempts to change the gear and you will feel/hear the attempt, but due to the frozen friction plate, the car will remain in gear. Hope this helps.

23. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Oh and I want to be sure and explain these are recent salvage auction results.

The black car was just sold again on the bottom that's a flood car bring that money.

Talk about a car that will have issues. I know I have played with flood cars.

But anyway the point is Salvaged cars are being close to your 50k water mark.

50 for a car that sounds this good is theft.

So give him the money know or pass on the deal. Below that you're screwing your friend but hey if he sells it so be it. Hahaha

24. Busjunky

Busjunky Karting

Jun 10, 2021
    Milan, Ohio
    Full Name:
    David Leroux
    he offered the price. I’m not trying to swindle him. I bought the car earlier this morning. Sometimes people just don’t mind giving deals. Title states he paid $48,500 for the car. So he got to enjoy the car for year and still made his money back plus a little extra. I did tell them that once it’s sorted all out, I’ll offer it back plus my parts and labor cost. He’s happy, and he’s going to be able to purchase his childhood home and I’ve got a fun new project.