Potential move to Kitsap County, WA -- questions! | FerrariChat

Potential move to Kitsap County, WA -- questions!

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Rory J, Mar 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Hi all,

My wife and I are considering relocating from Southern California to the Kitsap County area, west of Seattle (yes, I know locals will hate us ex-Californians -- won't bother us, we mostly keep to ourselves). We will be traveling to the region later this month for her third and final job interview and if she's offered the position, we'd likely make the move. I would most likely be able to keep my current writing job, working remotely from a home-based office. It looks like the ferry commute over to Seattle, if I needed to take a job there, isn't great -- about 2 hours on the ferry plus the time to get to/from the terminals.

Any tips on neighborhoods we should be looking at or other considerations? Her job would be in Silverdale. I grew up in Northern California and am looking forward to rain and grey skies again, strange as that may sound.

Our two-bedroom, one-bath home in CA is currently worth about $500k. Hoping to get away with spending closer to $300k somewhere in Kitsap County with at least 3 bedrooms, two baths, some indoor car storage/workspace and maybe half an acre of land for a little privacy. Water views not necessary. Seems fairly easily doable, based on Zillow?

Very much looking forward to getting back to nature and living in a much slower-moving community. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    My neck of the woods. Used to be $300k would buy you a nice chunk of land and a big ole house. Now, it'll still get you something decent. 1/2 acre and 3 bedroom house should be doable for about that price.Where really depends on how far from town or "society" you want to be. Silverdale is a nice area. I live closer to Bremerton but still outside the city itself.

Housing is more expensive around Silverdale and Bremerton and if you get closer to or on the water it can jump significantly. Cheaper alternatives are out south toward or into Mason county/ Belfair but then your wife would have to hit the worst spot for commuting around here and the true armpit of Kitsap County....Gorst. It's a bottleneck going the directions she would be going both in the morning and evening. Morning shouldn't be so bad, evening can he horrific, at least for this sleepy side of Puget Sound. Still not as bad as Seattle.

The other option is look around Silverdale and north to Poulsbo/Kingston area. Kingston also has a ferry over to just north of Seattle depending on where you need to go. Or around Bremerton itself. There are probably still some good deals out there but it seems to be a real sellers market right now from what I hear. Port Orchard heading toward Tacoma would probably be a bit cheaper too but would have the same commute for your wife through Gorst.

As for the Ferry there is a passenger only boat now that only takes about a half hour instead of the full hour each way. You are right though as you'd have to count the drive to and from the ferry terminal.

Pm me for contact info if you want and I can answer most questions you have.

3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    And there’s a track out there too, if you’re so inclined. Just south of Kitsap county, but still relatively close in the grand scheme if the entire Seattle/Tacoma/Everett metro area.

http://www.ridgemotorsportspark.com/

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    We just bought 5 acres of tranquility in Burley (near Port Orchard) with a beautiful "flip house" and 1700 sq. ft. barn, for just under $500k and LOVE it. Park-like setting with nothing but 5 to 30 acre parcels around us with no worries about "sprawl" at least in my remaining lifetime (57 now)

Great ferry service to Seattle from several locations. I now use the ferries all the time for business and never deal with the I5 mess at all anymore.

But sorry to say, it's all sold out - nothing left to buy :D:D

Jedi

5. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    You moved over there? I used to live out by the PO airport, more on the Olalla side of 16. Port Orchard/Burley/Ollala, and even the Key Peninsula you can probably still find some really good deals on homes with a bit of land. But then his wife would have to commute through Gorst again. Depending on what time she works though it could be doable. I just HATE traffic.

Jedi likes this.
  6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 Jedi, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    I now take the PO "foot ferry" to Bremerton, then the "big ferry" to Pier 52 for meetings in downtown Seattle - just did it today and do it all the time - WONDERFUL!! NO TRAFFIC!! Takes just under 2 hours from my porch to Pier 52 with two beautiful boat rides along the route, then a $6 Uber ride to my first meeting. Each meeting is around $6 to $12 one to the next - cheap. Then a $12 Uber back to the ferry - one hour of peace and quiet back to Bremerton then the foot ferry back to PO.... it's just amazing compared to where I was in West Tacoma with HOURS of traffic awefulness

If you head out to KPS you can get CHEAP prices.... but we didn't want to go out that far so settled in Burley - we did great with 5 acres in Burley (West side of 16, other side from Olalla) for $492k... our 1/3 acre in University Place (the house you met me at) will go for $630k next month when we list it. We own both outright so doing well on both deals... love it. So cool to move "out to the country" and get so much for so much less!!

The Gorst commute is much better now that they have two lanes where you meet up with the Bremerton merge - not totally free of traffic for sure, but WAAAYYYY better than it was with a single lane.

Let's meet up one day soon - it's been a long time - maybe at Cheers in Port Orchard? That's the first place I ever attended an FCA event back in 2008!! You were there - Lighthouse Cafe then I believe.... weren't you?

Would love to meet up again and catch up, John. BBQ at my place this summer? Would love to have you... you were one of the first "locals" I met at this place, back when my 328 broke the first time (about 6 minutes after I owned it!!) and sent me down the rabbit-hole of Ferrari Ownership :D:D

Stay well - PM me so we can reconnect

Dave
    Jedi

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think Dave is planning a Ferrari gathering cookout at his place this summer! We can park a lot of cars on his 5 acres!

I’ll bring tater salad! hah

8. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    This is all fantastic information, particularly as it pertains to her possible commute. Thanks very much to all contributing! Currently, she's spending about 30-45 minutes in traffic each way here in LA for a 15-mile commute. My commute is 17 miles or so and it takes me even longer... about 45min -1hr in the mornings and 1hr+ in the afternoons.

We can afford up to about $400k if necessary, but really hoping for a smaller mortgage than our current home and a little extra cash to stuff away at the end of each month (gotta keep that someday Ferrari fund stocked up!). We're both in our mid-30s and with no kids and one dog, we don't need a lot of space. We're getting by with just about 950 sq ft and a two-car garage here in So Cal, but ideally would have 1500-1800 sq ft in our next home. A good size out-building for cars and such is high on the desirability list for me and a lot of running space for the dog is on hers. If the place is somewhat dated, that's fine... we can remodel as we go.

Also looking forward to leaving CA's archaic legislation as it pertains to classic cars. We currently have to smog anything '76 and newer, which is insanity. My '77 Lancia Scorpion and '88 Alfa Milano Verde will be much happier up there! Already planning to take the Alfa to Group 2 Motorsports for future service that I can't handle on my own, should this all work out.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yes! I used to own a 76 Scorpion #1019, and I currently have an 88 Alfa Milano Verde. Seems we have similar tastes. :)

The other thing is that you can register both cars with YoM plates.....the Milano is eligible this year. This means you can run an original 1988 (or 1977) plate on the cars, pay tags one time, and never again—no emissions, no tags, and a cool vintage license plate. :)

I have a 79 one on my Alfetta? an 82 one on my X1/9, and an 84 one on my 400i.

My two 88 Alfa get them this year (30 years old)...Milano and a Spider.

Rory J likes this.
  10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    YoM, Year of Manufacture.

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    This is great news! I remember how disappointed you were when they clear cut the land behind your house. Sounds like you have a great place.

Jedi likes this.
  12. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Just to update this thread (very late), we are making the move. My wife starts her new position in Silverdale on June 5 and we plan to make the drive up with a couple cars and a moving truck the weekend before. We'll be renting an apartment with a five-month lease which should give us enough time to find a home we like enough to purchase.

That said... we've yet to sign rental papers, so if anyone has a lead on a small rental home in or near Silverdale for under $2k/month that would allow a 12-year old Golden Retriever and a month-to-month or short-term lease (under half a year), please shoot me a PM. Otherwise we'll be putting most of our things in storage for a time.

We feel very thankful to be making this a reality.

13. Dave46

Dave46 Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2006
    Central Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Davison
    I'd imagine that you got the move made and are busy settling in. I used to get emails from a reality company there when I was seriously thinking about moving back to that area having grown up on Bainbridge Island ( Bainbridge has gotten way too expensive now).
    Best I can say is to study the offerings of some of the real Estate offices in the area or pickup the flyers and explore. rton

I think I would be looking on the north side of Bremerton up to Poulsbo to avoid the traffic through Bremerton to the south end of Kitsap.
    The ferry rides from Winslow or Bremerton to Seattle aren't that bad in some ways as they give you time to plan your day or eat and read the paper get the laptop out and do some work.

Rory J likes this.
  14. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Thanks Dave, great info. Yep, settling in up here and loving it so far. We closed on our house back in CA on Friday, so will begin looking more seriously for a new home in the coming weeks. Hopefully the market will cool slightly as we get further into summer, I know things have been somewhat competitive up here. Meanwhile, we're in a perfectly fine apartment here in Silverdale with a big lawn for our golden retriever and just 5 minutes or so from my wife's work.

Hope to meet some of those in the area over the next months, I just drove my Alfa Milano 1400 miles over four days up 101 to bring it "home." What a great drive! Car ran great with no big issues, but the drive did highlight a few things that need attention so I'll probably be scheduling a visit to Group 2 soon, unless anyone has another recommendation for Alfa service in the greater Seattle/Kitsap area. The Lancia I'll have delivered up here once we get settled in a house. Got Washington plates on the Alfa yesterday as well, so I feel that I've "assimilated" now!

Heading to the vintage races later today at Pacific Raceways, should be a fun afternoon!

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Did you do YoM plates? Keep in mind that if the car is 30 years old, you can get an actual 1988 (not sure what year your Milano is) plate and register the car with that and no more yearly fees ever.

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
  17. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    I haven't yet, mainly because the car was on CA plates that expired in May and I was anxious to just get the car legal up here. I will be looking into that for next year, for sure.

Your Milano looks great! Here's a shot of mine from the drive up. I originally wanted red, if I'm honest, but have come to appreciate the stealth qualities associated with black! My car is getting up there in miles, now at 159,xxx, but I bought it from the estate of the original owner who always kept it garaged and had a two-inch stack of service records. I averaged 23.3 mpg on the drive, used half a quart of oil.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    By the way, the rear is sagging a little because I had the car full of garage stuff I was moving from the old house... jack stands, a full size floor jack, multiple tool boxes, etc. Probably 500 lbs of gear.