Potential roof issue | FerrariChat

Potential roof issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, May 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I parked my 430 Spider after a drive today with the top down, hit the roof button to close it. The metal cover lifted, the motors whirred, but the roof itself did not emerge. So I reversed the cycle, closed the roof, and tried again. It worked fine.
    It worked fine again the next couple of times I parked, also. No further problems. But, is there something I can do to prevent any repeats? What might be going on? Any help appreciated.

2. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Make sure the hydraulic fluid is full. If you search there is a great detailed thread on how to do it and what fluid to buy.

3. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Found the thread, thanks Joe. Excellent advice.

JoeTSI likes this.
  4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Themaven,
    I have similar situations in my 360 Spider. My fluid is fine, the mechanism is fine and the battery is fine. The battery can get weak so it is good to have it on a trickle charger always. Never run the top with the engine off. But the biggest culprit for these "interruptions" is heat soak in my opinion after 2 summers. I am pretty sure this is the case. It typically happens AFTER the car has been run, or it has sit to cook in the sun, like at a show. I had an idea to try and boost the heat shielding around the capote mechanisms and made some extra layers for the shields when I detailed the engine last week. Here are some pics. Header tape and fireproof aluminum tape are my go to materials for this purpose. Works great and I made shields for my exhaust ECUs the first fall after they failed. I am pretty sure the hydraulics in the capote system vapor lock or the micro switches get confused by the heat expansion and whatnot. Not sure how to bleed the system other than run it. Doesn't ever happen when cold AFAIK.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, John. That is definitely an avenue I will explore if the hydraulic fluid turns out to be fine. It wasn't particularly hot when the roof failed though. The car has been on trickle all winter, and maybe lack of use or age depleted the battery anyway. It's good that none of these fixes sound expensive!
    Thinking about it, on my first drive of this year a few weeks ago, the roof closed all the way to the point when the latches hook themselves in, and then didn't quite have the energy to do so, motors humming all the while. It got to the point where my Porsche 968 Cabriolet got to back in the 1990s, where you then had to hook the latches manually with a key. I gave the 430 a bit of encouragement with a hand on the roof and it shut.

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I would think a "maven" would know how to do this!!!!

7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Change out the hydraulic fluid and bleed the system. It has made a BIG difference on my '03 Spider.

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thanks Steve. Will let you know what happens.

9. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    I wouldn't worry about it. You may have accidentally triggered the switch twice when you activated the 'CLOSE' function. The ECU's in Ferrari's are pretty average, and they will do this from time to time. It's nothing to worry about. You may have had a micro switch stick and not give the 'OPEN' signal to the ECU when the cover opened. Use it regularly, and you shouldn't have any problems.

John_K_348 likes this.
  10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That's my favourite solution - keep calm, carry on, and hope it doesn't happen again. I'll try that first!
    Weirdly sunny weather in London, so plenty of opportunity to use regularly right now while it lasts.

John_K_348 and Gizzi like this.
  11. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    my spider had a similar problem and it has to do with the covers not being able to go the the end of the track, due to misalignment or lack of grease. Often times I had to push down the cover on the passenger side by hand all the way down (you would hear a click as it reaches the end of the track) and then the top would continue operation to close. Never a problem with opening, but always with closing. If the fluid is fine like others have mentioned, look into this. You can have your friend open and close the top while you inspect the cover and the track for smoothness etc.

John_K_348 likes this.
  12. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Good one thank you. I will put this on the list for if/when it happens again.

13. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Does your top close in a fairly fluid motion, or does it kind of get stuck and then pop forward? Could be the elastics getting old..... not sure why it only happened once.