Potentially adding a 720 to my garage | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Potentially adding a 720 to my garage

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by SoCal to az, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    SoCal to az likes this.
  2. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    SoCal to az likes this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I shared a similar experience on Fchat and still feel that way now 1 year later. The car is certainly not perfect but it is very good. People who claim lack of emotion and engagement have convinced themselves before even driving it because they heard it somewhere. Go in with an open mind and you will appreciate its capabilities. I still may go for a Pista down the road but definitely doing the 750LT.

Congratulations, glad to hear you are happy with your purchase and enjoying it.

SoCal to az likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m thoroughly impressed with the car. Didn’t believe the hype but mclaren nailed it.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I had the good fortune of driving the car before any of the crazy performance tests came out. I was blown away. Still say its objectively the best car I've ever driven. Not sure it's my favorite but all things considered the best. Mental acceleration, stability, civility, comfort (which I'm big on), cool tech, I couldn't really find any faults. The one I drove was memphis red, which I thought made the car look great.

SoCal to az and of2worlds like this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That carbon tub is such a huge leap and a great platform to work from. The stiffness, feel and body control are next level. When I get asked what I mean, I compare the feeling of riding a metal bike vs. a carbon fiber framed bike. The carbon is superior in every subjective and objective measure. I love it!

wildkalabaw likes this.
  7. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    SoCal how is the steering and handling (say vs RS)? I'm getting antsy and with Performante not arriving until May, I'm starting to weigh options.

8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s tight. I used to give the analogy that the 488 was like a Randy moss going down for an 80 bomb down the sidelines where as the RS was like Barry Sanders weaving in and out of tacklers.

I would say that 720 is closer to Barry than Randy. It’s a worthy replacement to the RS, not as raw but certainly very nimble.

I did an extended test drive in the performante and it’s a great car. My buddy has one. However I would put the 720 above it. As nimble and precise but a lot more power and faster.

720 is the real deal. Try it.

IPO1 likes this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #309 IPO1, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Getting a Mac itch (or rather had one long time). Appreciate the feedback and was hoping it was more like Barry. I don't have local dealer so feedback since you just bought is good.

My '19 RS with WP is showing tomorrow at dealer, so I have the razor sharp ride covered, but need more of a daily. But do not want a boat ride--want something I could track if I wanted.
    • My thought process is new 570 replacement will be announced next year, so maybe just grab a used 570 now at a steal and trade once 750LT comes.
    • OR grab 720 now and grab LT when that comes out which will be 2020 I think. That makes more sense to me.
    • OR wait until May for Performante...but I'll be honest my attention span is too short.
    Either way new RS is staying (will post pic as soon as I get one).

Funny I have to come to Ferrari forum to get Mac advice--but seems more balanced here than other places.

of2worlds, SoCal to az and Jo Sta7 like this.
  10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ferrarichat is the best forum I’ve found overall for balanced car advice. Sure you get some zealots here but overall it’s just car lovers who admire a multitude of brands.

JAM1, of2worlds, Thecadster and 3 others like this.
  11. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Now, here is a guy with first world problems! :)

Thecadster likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    750 lt is a long ways off. 570 replacement? Still a ways off. If you have the itch; pull the trigger. Plenty of good cars out there. Your RS is going to be great. Enjoy the hell out of it.

IPO1 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. It’s not a bunch of people who barely saved enough money to buy their first sports car aka what you find on Rennlist. Fchat you have people who admire cars, aren’t babies about showing blind allegiance. Fair minded people here.

IPO1 likes this.
  14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree, and unlike most fanboy sites the majority of us actually own or have owned a variety of performance cars so we have some basis to compare from.

I do enjoy seeing the positive 720 comments because for awhile I thought I was missing something... that these cars can't possibly be as good as they are. After a number of months and a few thousand miles I still can't imagine replacing the 720s with anything else. Nothing is even of interest (aside from an F40 and for completely different reasons) to be honest. The bar is set that high with this car.

15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree with you. I was following the 720 vs 488 thread and defended my beloved 488. Kept thinking the 720 was similar to the 650 with the turbo lag and lack of engagement. I could not have been more wrong. The 720 delivers every last bit!

It’s interesting now that the Pista is out- there is a thread that on autocar did a race and the Pista was the same as 720 basically. I’m not knocking the Pista as I’m sure it’s a great car but 2 years after the 720 And all Ferrari can do is equal the 720? I was disappointed to say the least.

16. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yep. And as I've posted before, I believe the Pista is a performance version of the 488 in the same way a 600LT is a performance version of the 570. Once the 720's performance version comes out as the 750LT I expect it will absolutely demolish the Pista. Whatever happens, it's a great time to be a consumer in this performance car market!

17. The only areas where the 720S doesn't stack up against the 488 (at least the GTB, never driven the Pista) is throttle response and sound.

18. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Throttle response is better than I expected. Sound isn’t even close. 488 wins that going away.

wildkalabaw likes this.
  19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Many of us are old enough to remember 308's having an 'optimistic' 240hp, and '70's Corvettes with 350ci and 175hp! We live in a serious golden age of performance cars. The number of seriously great cars is staggering and the pace of development at McLaren's road car division is mind blowing. (It's a shame that they can't seem to make an F1 car right now.)

I think the demographic of many Macca owners are not new to this. We have been around the block more than a couple of times and can absolutely appreciate what McLaren is accomplishing. Some appreciate the styling, while others appreciate the performance. I tend to drive.....quickly (a day under 100, is like a day without sunshine!), and I know that I haven't been able to explore full throttle or the car's limits on a public roads. I have a couple of track days coming up and I can't wait!

Here we are on Fchat, enthusing about McLaren, because most of us have Ferraris and know what's going on in Woking... and it's very impressive indeed.

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    A day without going 100 is like a day without sunshine, I like that! There’s a certain member here, noone(2) that’s been posting on this thread. Well actually he’s on every forum and quite opinionated despite not owning any cars. He always states that every super car feels the same bc you can’t drive over 70 on the road or whatever. Such bull ****. I break 100 every single day in one of the super cars unless the weather is terrible. The way a car accelerates and decelerates to 120+ is absolutely noticeable on the road. Just have to be smart about it.

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    None- lol. Smartest man on the forum. Doesn’t own a single car. Has no intention of owning a car. Yet talks incessantly about cars. Mind boggling.

Jo Sta7 and IPO1 like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No car interests him enough to own but no fear because every dealer in SoCal (or wherever he is) let’s him test drive their super cars.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    BS. We know how the game works- if you aren’t a serious buyer- no chance they let you behind the wheel.

IPO1 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Well his Prius probably can't go over 70 ;)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  25. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I wish you could hear my car with the new down pipes and exhaust - it truly solves that issue not to mention better mid range response and lost 40lbs. This is the catted version so not obnoxious and no drone.

IPO1 and Jo Sta7 like this.