Power Windows Not Working - 458 Italia - Resolved with Battery Reset | FerrariChat

Power Windows Not Working - 458 Italia - Resolved with Battery Reset

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by moldynotepad, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moldynotepad

moldynotepad Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles
    #1 moldynotepad, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Guys,

I never put down my windows. Was at an In N Out drive through yesterday. Approached speaker...and windows wouldn't go down. In fact, neither driver's side nor passenger's side windows would go down. When I went home I paid extra attention when I opened and closed the doors. Windows didn't pop down a bit or do anything.

Thanks to F-Chat, I was able to get it sorted. Maybe this can help someone:

Due Diligence - Battery
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/356468-458-battery-location.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/519466-458-battery-replacement.html

Due Diligence - Windows
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/487777-458-window-trouble-2.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/458-italia-488/406942-window-drop-problem.html

Procedure
    1. Battery located at Passenger Side Footwell. There should be a strap. Pull it.
    2. Negative terminal is connected by a clip. Unclip, carefully wiggle loose, disconnect, and set aside.
    3. Wait 10 minutes
    4. Reconnect Battery
    5. Turn key to position 2
    6. Wait 1 minute for car to cycle/initialize.
    7. Initialize Windows. Most cars are the same. Hold down ~10 seconds. Hold up ~10 seconds. Test to see if one touch works.
    8. All set!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NuorderSG and Baitschev like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    There is one problem though.... this will reset all the codes in the ECU. So, if you need to do an emissions test anytime soon, it will not read anything. You'll have to drive it maybe 200 miles before it ECU resets. Parking it and letting it run won't do it. You have to drive it.

So, if you need to do an emissions test do it before the reset, not after. Otherwise you may be driving your car for several hours before you can get it tested.

Melvok likes this.
  3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx for handy information AoshichanX . (Whats your name F friend ....)

Q: is the batterytender used every day ? Guess not :D

We had one car of which the front bonnet would not open electrical anymore ... after one full day charging ... worked again ...

USE THAT TENDER !

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Good info, thanks!

5. Abdullah2111

Abdullah2111 Rookie

Aug 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Abdullah Bean
    Hi
    I have a Ferrari 488GTB which I bought it start of this year.
    Unfortunately my battery completely died when i didn't start the car for almost 10 days so I managed to charge it with the charger provided from Ferrari at the time of purchase.
    And all are ok but the problem is the power window isn't working to either put it up or down nor I can close the door properly because the power window isn't going down.
    Can u please tell me what I should do to make the power window work back to normal?

Ricambio likes this.
  6. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Get a NEW battery a.s.a.p. !

Easy to do yourself ...

7. Abdullah2111

Abdullah2111 Rookie

Aug 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Abdullah Bean
    The battery is now currently working fine but I need to know how to make the power window work back to normal

Is there any method to make it work back like normal as it is currently not working at all

8. Aray

Aray Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy Ray
    Abdullah2111, did this procedure work on your 488? Having very, very similar issue. All other functions a-ok (seemingly) except windows.

9. Aray

Aray Rookie

Mar 22, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andy Ray
    Ok - I can answer my own question after trying this, yes it resolved the same issues on the 488. Thanks OP

10. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Thanks! Worked like a charm on my 2013 458 Italia.

...a week with no battery tender and the battery went flat. I had tried to start the car, the car cranked slightly before displaying several hair-raising warnings on the display: DCT failure, electrical system failure, take car to dealer, your car has corona virus, how dare you not use the tender 1000% of the time even when driving, your system is sensitive, it's a Ferrari, yada, yada, ya, and every other admonition members here get when not using the tender.

I charged the battery with the Ferrari battery tender overnight. The next morning, the car started fine with no display warnings. However, the windows didn't work. I had left both windows very slightly open before the battery went flat to vent out some small amount of water I had spilled on the carpet. So, fortunately no issue with opening the doors.

I ran an ODB II CEL code checker and noted two engine codes pending: P0 560 and P0 1560. I cleared to the codes, restarted the car (didn't drive it) and the passenger side window worked fine. The driver side window didn't work... nada, nothing.

I followed this procedure by the OP and all was good! The hardest part was waiting ten minutes fearing that perhaps some rodent had chewed through something electrical

So yes, I don't use the battery tender 1000% of the time. I also sometimes forget to put the toilet seat down, and so on.

11. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Ok, what I find annoying is no AUTO UP feature for the passenger side window!!! This drives me nuts. Same thing on my Lambo. These Italian cars always leave this feature off! I'm hoping someone says the 458 passenger window has auto up and mine is just not working right???

12. Broadoaker

Broadoaker Rookie

Aug 11, 2020
    SW England or SW France
    Full Name:
    Christopher Eden
    This has just worked on my 488 after a dead battery (I left the car power on after adjusting some settings). I had assumed (wrongly) that the car would power itself down after an interval but now I'm wiser. The multiple system failure warnings is a bit of a worry when you haven't encountered it before but as far as I'm aware having fixed this power window issue, my 488 is now as it was before the battery died and I can get back to enjoying driving it.

13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    No auto up on the passenger window on 458's.

I didn't get a charger with my car when I purchased used. I have had no issues, but it is my daily driver.

Need4Spd likes this.