PPF care ? | FerrariChat

PPF care ?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by klinkman, Sep 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Newbie here, never had PPF on a car before. So I took delivery in July of a new GTS, and since this is a "forever" car, I went with full wrap of XPEL with ceramic over. Love the finish. I think it came out looking really nice esp with the dark blue paint.

I asked the installer how to maintain it, he said just some quick detailer between washings. Okay, I said had some Macguires spray. He said, perfect apply with a microfiber cloth after you drive it. Got it.

Now I've got like a residue, cloudy surface on the hood that just seems to get pushed around. Vertical surfaces seem fine, just the hood looks bad in the right light.

Any suggestions? How do I clean this up and get her looking like new again?
    Like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    A quick detailer is intended more for spot detailing, like removing a fingerprint or some light, loose dust. If you've got so much dirt that it's just being pushed around, it's time for a regular washing.

edit: Are you saying you have a ceramic coat over the top of XPEL? I wasn't aware that was possible.

3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not sure that's true. Chemical guys, for example, talks about a quick cleaning, wiping dust off the bottom of a hood ~1:25

4. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    All he says is that he's wiping off dust, which is what I mentioned in my previous response. Plus, that car is already clean. Notice that every time he turns the towel up that there is no dirt on it at all.

If you don't want to do a traditional wash with a hose and suds, you can always do a rinseless wash using Optimum No Rinse. I hardly ever wash my cars any other way, and it's much easier and less time consuming than the traditional way.

5. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I hear you. I'm not objecting to washing, that's fine advice.

But two sources are telling me quick detail is the way to maintain between washes. The video maybe had multiple takes, so not a great example. But bottom side of hood is a notoriously dirty area -- I appreciate Chem guys want to sell product, but I think they would think twice about messing up that custom airbrush paint job by just pushing dirt around if it wasn't effective.

My car isn't dirty. It's got maybe 250 miles in 3-4 different drives on beautiful sunny California days since PPF installed. Garage time in between. And now 3 "quick detail" sessions. There is a build up I don't understand.

If your input is there probably isn't a way to get this film off without a traditional wash, got it.

I guess I'm wondering about Macguires as a product. Or if I am doing something wrong. 3 quick detail sessions seems like nothing.

6. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Meguiar's is the oldest and one of the most respected suppliers in the detailing industry. They've been doing it for about a hundred years. So I don't think the product is the problem, except that it may not be the right product for your application.

As for the "film" -- Is it possible that your ceramic coating has failed due to not curing properly? Or maybe there was a problem with the application. I'd suggest you go back to the guy who gave you the initial advice and see what he thinks. But oily road film is something that every car picks up, no matter the weather, and you can't see it until you try to take it off.

7. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    #7 DiamondDog, Sep 21, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Xpel makes a paste specifically for it. I found it works just ok and doesn't last long.

Go with Jaxwax prep spray. That will get off all the residue. Then use their graphene spray detailer. You probably should reapply each 3-6 ymonths. They call it a detailer , but it's more of a coating. Doing a whole car takes 15 minutes. Use Wolfgang rinselss wash dilluted to be a quick detsiler in between. U can do it with optimum no rinse too. Very economical and works great

If you give me your address I can send you this small bottle of xpel coating. I don't use it because like I said, Jaxwax is easier to use and so much better Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Do a Google search for optimum no rinse rinseless washing. That’s THE solution for this

jm2 likes this.
  9. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    People don't know that this product is an excellent quick detailer for inside and out and very economical if you do this

1 oz to 16 oz reverse osmosis or distilled water

Wolfgang Uber Rinseless was is better in my opinion when used this way. 3 oz Toma gallon of water. I make a gallon then fill my spray bottle as needed.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. stoked_7

stoked_7 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2020
    USA
    I really enjoy the detailing advice from the below video. The advice seems to be knowledgeable and sound.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    These guys usually start out well-intentioned and giving good objective advice. Then they transition to pushing products they get endorsements from, then they private label some crap from overseas and push that.

Advice is pretty good though in this video. 2 bucket wash method is a bit outdated. People now do 4 to 5 mitt method with one bucket full of more water and soap and 1 empty bucket for used mits.

12. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yes indeed. I rarely use a QD but I mix up some ONR in a spray bottle when I need to. It also makes a terrific and cheap clay lube at a slightly higher concentration.

LI2782 likes this.
  13. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    multiple votes, got it thanks all

jm2 likes this.
  14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #14 Caeruleus11, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Wash the car, if you can use a blower to dry it, try to use as little towel action as possible as film is easier to scratch- though the modern films can self heal the small scratches. Then once dry you should use some ceramic enhancer type products. My experience is detailing/ cleaning without water will always have a shortcoming that will bite you. The haze you are seeing might be the quick detailer coming back up on you (this happens when you use too much- ask how I know ).

My current favorite:
    https://www.nanolex.de/en/products/coatings/sisplash/

Use 2 brand new microfiber towels, spray a little bit on to one towel- you don't need a lot- then use the other to wipe it off. When done toss the towels, fold the towels over as you are using them. Also wear nitrile to keep the oils from your hands from getting into the process.

Solid State and klinkman like this.
  15. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Very helpful, thank you

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Word to the wise. Stay away from products using petroleum. It will turn dark colors white on panel edges. Many Meguiar's products contain petroleum. ;)

17. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You're talking about the edge of the film, correct? Most of the large pieces are wrapped over to the back side, hood, trunk, doors etc. But yes, thanks for the tip on petroleum, I can see where that would be a problem on smaller pieces.

Interestingly, while I was waiting for some of these products to come in, I hit the haze with just microfiber rag and it came off with a little elbow grease. I guess it needed to dry or cure on some level, but issue resolved before I could hit it with ONR.

18. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I was making a general comment about Meguiar's. Had a relative tell me about the effect when I had been using it for years on an all black Supra. Sure enough the edges of the body panels turned white. Talking about raw paint and not films. Later I researched and found the warning to avoid products with petroleum on painted surfaces.

For your issue, I would recommend changing your detailer brand or skip it. Remember any rubbing creates scratches. I use Mother's and have no build-up because it does not try to be a wax but just a lubricating cleaner. I only use it on spots where there are bugs or visible imperfections on waxed surfaces. Nothing replaces a multi-bucket wash and detail. I totally hate that as "nobody got time for that"!