Pre Air Filter: Air Filter-512 Boxer | FerrariChat

Pre Air Filter: Air Filter-512 Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by msdesignltd, Apr 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    On the 512 Berlinetta Boxers, There is an element that goes beneath the two carb/ air box covers on the rear deck lid..it is a simple foam like element that filters out bugs , and such from entering the mainstream passage to the primary air filter...I am looking to replace the foam elements and have had no such luck.....Any one ever replaced these items.
    Also looking for an original jack kit for same car.
    Thanks , Michael

Air Box Covers in pics

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I'm sure you can get them from TRutlands or www.owners.ferrari.com But, with such low mileage on your car, why would it be worn out already? My 1982 BB512i has 17,xxx miles on it and those original foam pieces still look like new.

3. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I Know Ted, Haven't tried Him. Will Do Thanks...The passenger side filter is fine, the driver side filter somewhere along the line got a rip in it and was pulled off...I am preparing the car for Greenwich Concours, I am not overlooking any item. This is one that needs attention.I am counting on Winning the 80's supercar class. Last year a Countach won....Whether I win or not I am having Fun which is what its all about..Right now the car is up on jackstands and the wheels are being resprayed re decaled and new trx mounted. While the wheels are off I am detailing the suspension components such as upper and lower a arms and brake calipers.The car is so close to new that every little thing I do is magnified by the newness that surrounds it.I will mount wheels and shoot new photos this weekend, I'll Post next week.Thanks

4. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey Franklin, Do You have an original Jack kit with your car, I have located one and want to make sure it is originnal equip. The cost is $1000.00, Supposedly it has extra belts, bulbs, fuses etc. If you have this kit could you e mail pics...Thanks, Michael.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have the original jack it, but I do not have a digital camera. However, the owner's manual has a photo of the kit as well as a list of what is included therein.

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Are these the foam rubber pieces that you are asking about? I don't believe that they filter anything, they seem to be used for heat insulation possibly.

The airboxes have rubber gaskets that contact the upper deck lid and the air goes straight in from the rear louvers to the airboxes. No pre-filtering that I can see.

Here's the photos from my car.

7. msdesignltd

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thats them, Yours appear to be New, Are they original Equip. or aftermarket or just afterthought...Do you have any idea who has them, Thanks Michael

OH! my oversight, you Very Right...No filtering involved with those, You can only imagine what 12 velocity stacks would have been gulping in through those covers

8. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Michael,

I'm sure that mine are factory foam panels.

Continental Auto Sports did all the work on the car and replaced tons of stuff for a previous owner between 1997-2002..... believe it or not, I have over $60K of receipts for parts and labor during that time.

You might try Ferrari UK's site to see if they have the foam panels listed.