Pre-OTO (612) question | FerrariChat

Pre-OTO (612) question

Discussion in '612/599' started by QtrItalian, Apr 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    On a 2008 pre-OTO which has the updated interior stitch pattern, updated gauge renderings, etc. also having the "GTC" package on the window sticker (but not an OTO so no glass roof or 20 inch rims, etc) my question is, is the handling and transmission performance pretty similar to OTO specimens? Are any of these "almost" OTOs dual plate (599) clutch? Lastly could theoretically an OTO be ordered with a non glass roof and somehow be disguised as a pre OTO? I figure the answer to the last question is no but haven't seen that asked.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ferrari eventually went to separate HGT2 and CCM options on the interim 612, but some of the early interim 612s did indeed have HGTC listed covering HGT2 and CCMs. All interim 612s had improved F1 algorithms with 125 ms min shift time. None had the 599 twin disc clutch, 599 gearbox case, or Superfast I software, which equipped only the Sessanta and OTO. Both interims and OTOs had the Type F133H engine. The HGTC/HGT2 suspension was pretty much the same for the interims and OTOs.

The glass roof was standard on the Sessanta and OTO and none of the option lists show a glass top delete. Never say never, though, and for enough money anything was possible. Have never heard of one, though.

Makuono, FIN612 and QtrItalian like this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As far as I know, you didn't have a choice of not getting the glass roof on an OTO. Of course, with Ferrari most anything is possible if you pay them enough, so it's possible that some were made, but I kind of doubt it. The glass roof was generally perceived as a good thing.

The deal with the HGT2/HGTC involves the fact that Ferrari made a big deal about CCM brakes becoming standard on all their cars, including the 612. This happened just before the OTO came out. So before that, you could get the HGTS (handling package and exhaust, with steel brakes) or the HGTC (handing package and exhaust, with CCM brakes), or I believe you could just order the CCM brakes on a normal car. All OTOs had CCM brakes, and I think all the 2008 pre-OTOs had them as well, but I'm less sure of that.

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- I do not think the CCMs were standard until the OTO came out according to the Monroneys I have. Either that or they were just fitted and charged as mandatory options on late interims, still showing up on Monroneys.

5. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think that is probably right, although Ferrari had a weird little time there because they made a big deal about all their cars having CCM brakes standard except, as you point out, maybe not. The transition between the Sessanta and the OTO was a weird little interregnum.

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Especially since by the time of the interim 612s, all 612s were custom ordered, with the dealers no longer being required to take 612s regularly.

7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Terry, I believe you are right.

My 612 is a late interim, and has steel brakes.

8. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    This website has the text of Ferrari's December 2007 press release announcing that for 2008, all cars would have CCM brakes standard:

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Ferrari-Models-Get-Ceramic-Brakes.html

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Don- Yup, but they did not follow through on the 612, saving them for the OTO update. Compared to the number of V8s built, not too many were late in 08 when the CCMs showed up on the OTO. Also possible they planned to introduce the OTO earlier, but....