Preferred Driving Sunglasses | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Preferred Driving Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Dopplemax, Feb 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    After my 5yr old pair of Oakley Eyejackets (rootbeer/gold) got stolen last summer, I finally went back and got another pair of glasses.

Oakley Squarewire 2.0 w/springs, with orange arms and "Fire" lenses (actually yellow to red ala chromeillusion). Looks great with my Ferrari hats, as the red in the lens jumps out.

It was a real jump for me - I was shopping for silver/blue, made a comment how wacky the orange ones were. Tried them on for kicks, and then after a few minutes it sunk in and I bought them; you know how that hate-then-love bonding goes...

Again, sweet with a red Ferrari Hat. The metal is brushed and is a little less shiny than this pic would imply:

2. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    I never lose or misplace mine. I currently wear a set of Oakley Juliets that I have had about a year. They look pretty close to these. I also have some older Oakleys I used to wear, which I use when I am on a boat or the beach where I don't want a bunch of sand in my nice ones.

3. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Agree on the Revo's, I have a butt load of Oakley products I get them free. Family looks like a damn commercial sometimes. My two year old and five year old have like six pairs each. Decent quality, the important thing to remember is UV protection and that they cover your eyes properly.

One small favor get rid of any gold plated or gold looking aviator glasses. That trend should have died in the seventies, yet just like Members Only jacket some people refuse to let them die. Saw someone wearing a pair yesterday all he needed to complete the look was fingerless "driving gloves".

4. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    Blinde Bambinos with polarized lens. Perfect wrap around the eyes for maximum protection from glare and wind with the top down in the 360.

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Maui Jim's Polarized are the best I've tried. They eliminate the dash glare on the windshield. My Oakley's seem to make the glare worse.

Have you ever noticed that the polarized glasses let you see tinting imperfections in the side and rear glass on cars? It looks like dark clouding or something.

6. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    Actually those are not imperfections. Many luxury cars have polarized glass and combining that with polarized glasses makes the "splotches" you see. The splotches are due to the interference of the filters in the glass and your sunglasses.

7. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Ray Ban Aviators, very comfortable, good visibility, yeah, as Spasso mentioned, a bit of backflash if your back is to the sun at an angle, but most of my commuting is dont E/W, so thats not a real problem fo me.

Ive had them for years, dont plan on losing them or replacing them soon.

8. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    The term for those splotch paterns are moiré. It is cause by 2 or more overlapping grid patterns. If you look you will se it allover the place like looking through a window screen at a checkered pattern. A Polerizer is basical a single direction grid that either goes horizontal or Vertical.

9. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    Just wanted to add that I dropped my Maui Jim's on the sidewlk and cracked one of the lenses. Maui Jim will replace both lenses in any of their glasses for $60 +$8 shipping. I think that's a great deal!

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I have some polarized Pacific Traders I got at Sams for $70 seem good for glare but I cant read led screens with them on. Had some Serengetis years ago seemed better.

Any opinions?

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Polarized glasses are going to make it hard to read some screens. I have had every brand out there and I use Maui Jims amber. They are polarized and sometimes it is hard to read my cell phone display at an angle or the stereo display in the car. Serengetti's are good, I like polarized lenses better though.

Sunglass Hut let me buy a pair and drive around with them and bring them back the next day if I wanted to try something else, you may want to do that. I bought Maui Jims with rose lenses and brought them back and got the amber.

12. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    NOTHING LIKE A GOOD PAIR OF REVOS.......I SWEAR BY THEM...........

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I'm a sunglass whore.

Driving wise, I like the Maui Jims. (Polarized)

DL

14. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    the way i hear it, it's more than just sunglasses, dude.

;)

i've been wearing SunCloud Red sunglasses for the last ten years or so. love 'em to death. have two pairs so if i misplace one i'm still all set.

i bought some ultra-expensive smaller pair to fit under my helmet, but they sucked.

i'm gonna check out these maui jim thingies though! thanks for the pointers, guys.

doody!

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    Oakley. I was sceptical at first and thought they were just a teenage "cool" brand, but after using them I know they are extremely good. I have seen Michael Schumacher with them on several occassions. It is also the choice of Lance Armstrong.

Other sunglasses that I have tried are Ray-Ban and Maui Jim.

16. lung7707

lung7707 F1 World Champ

Jan 13, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Rupert 9.0
    Revo H2O (polarized)

17. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Ray Ban polarized

18. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Oakley. Last month I bought the Half Jacket with both polarized and non-polarized lenses. The polarized lenses are great for driving because there's no glare, non-polarized is good for biking and outdoor sports.

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Serengetis

Pete

20. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Serengeti Drivers

21. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    Serengeti Rose colored lenses.....maui jim is ok but dark.....

22. jonathanp

jonathanp Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Peck
    Oakley Large Wires. Have had 3 pair of them now and absolutely love them.

23. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Jeff, just ask Bruce for a pair; i've never seen anyone else with a sunglass collection like his...

Dave, i still need to take you sunglass shopping... Maybe we can work on that next week... :)

24. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Giorgio Armani

25. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have Serengetti Drivers and they are fabulous.