Preservation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Preservation

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Melvok, Jul 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This has been a really fascinating thread to read - never saw it before. I often wondered about that black gunk on the underside of my TR and now I know more than I could have ever hoped. Thanks all!

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #27 Melvok, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So, after one year, I will put here some more information for all of us owners ... but believe NO ONE likes to read this thread .... ;)

As showed before, we now know that a Ferrari can RUST like any other car ......and if we do nothing, it WILL !

Here are foto's of the 512TR rear frame (NOT my car) .... have a look at the place where the shockers are fitted/mounted.

The difference between TR and 512TR is that in the TR you can take out the frame, in the 512TR not; it is welded to give more strength.

So ... in the 512TR nobody tales it out at a Engine-Out and so does not see the state in which it may be ...

These foto's show the double layers of metal in which the schockers are bolted: the whole body rests on these points.

Due to water in between these 2 layers ... rust ate them...

So now all is being taken out and new plates are hand made and will be welded in .... The only way to drepair it appropriate imo !

Please inspect these places in your car when you find time and us preservation to prevent this all ....

Pic 1: the double metal is visible....

This shows imo again: it is important to think about how to preserve a TR ... :eek:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #28 BigTex, Sep 12, 2012
    I like this thread...:D

Napolis had a TR that rusted, the exposure in New York was so bad IIRC, the Factory gave him consideration and traded him out of the car.

Rust here on the Gulf of Mexico too.
    Salt air.....

Wintertime pic, to match yours!

4. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #29 Melvok, Sep 21, 2012
    Nice pic ! Nice coat !

Back O.T. ........ Preservation ....

Did we ever look at the door hinges of our beloved F-cars ? Did we find the 2 nipples (of the door ;)) ... one upside down ?

And what are they for ? .......

I bet you don't even have a grease gun yourself at home ..........

A litlle grease after 20 years can do no harm imo ... so I put the grease gun up ...

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #30 Melvok, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
    I knew this !!!!! ..... NO members here want to read about GREASE in their cars .... :)

And are there any members who really looked at their hinges after reading this tip ?

Are you aware how much these OEM pins cost ? ............ (part# 63026200 will cost each $ 125,00 au Eurospares ... in total $ 500 .... or $ 100 at Ricambi USA).

What I mean is that a little grease can prevent unnesasasry wear and cost .....

6. Red Head Seeker

Red Head Seeker Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 27, 2009
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hello Mel...&...THANKS!!...I'm getting the grease gun & shooting like Jesse James!!....Mark

7. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I didn't reply because its common sense to grease all fittings per the service intervals.

8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Right YOU are Tim .....

But I was in a well-known F shop yesterday and could not find oen that showed any grease ath the door hinges ....

Ask drivers if the have a grease gun themselves ... a gun ? Yes .... but grease gun ? NO way they all say !

9. JohnAbrams

JohnAbrams Karting

Nov 12, 2014
    FL & NY
    Bumping this up from the dead as SSNISTR's other post made me think:

So Mel, I see you have done a lot to prevent any rust/corrosion from occurring. What have you done to prevent galvanic corrosion where aluminum meets steel on your car? Do the spray treatments you have done prevent this as well or no?

Curious...thanks.

10. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    I might be asking a silly question here but what grease are you using? It looks like truck grease which I did actually used to use on my old TVR.

Great thread for pointing out areas that may be prone to rust.
    And thanks Mel for the diagrams for maintenance. We only get a few weeks of rain here but we do get high humidity.

11. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Great thread, thanks.

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I did not do anything but spray wax in the summer, when also the car body was aroud 30 degrees Celsius.

That helps to let the wax get into all places. Had to drill holes at some places to do the job proper.

When we inspected the inside (sill f.i.) it looked like a moon landscape instead of a nice paved highway.

Happy the wax is now there already for 5 years ...

I am very happy that I don't see any corroding at the mentionned places (yet) ....

Any grease (f.i. for bearings) will do imo ... ; mine was a little bit red, you could see very well where it went ... :)

My fear is that hardly any owners want to look at these preventive measures and later say: funny .......

13. N17RO

N17RO Karting

Apr 9, 2013
    UAE
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Thanksfor the info. Good idea using red to show its going through. Simple and effective.