Presidential Rolexs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Presidential Rolexs

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by F360@20, Mar 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Guys the "Presidential" in yellow or white gold retail begins around $16k with no bling-bling, but who pays retail? Mine is exactly the same as in the diablo pic except my dial (face) is blue with diamonds on numbers (baguettes on 6 and 9) and diamond bezel and I paid $11k for it 2 1/2 years ago. There are numerous ways to get great deals on any Rolex, standard or blinged-to-the-max, depends on what you want and how ballsy you are. I can get anyone better deals than on ebay or anywhere else, PM if interested. BTW, Allan before you say it these are in the box with papers and warranty, they did NOT fall off a truck Soprano style either. Have a connection in Europe and one in Turkey.

ciao

2. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Right on bro' don't worry about that "you could feed a third world nation with what you spent on that watch" crap, I get that all the time and I just smile and to myself I know they are jealous.

3. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Thanks Al,and keep on smiling.
    Dave M

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had an 18kt Presidential and sold it because I thought it was a too gaudy. I now wear a stainless Rolex Submariner as my daily watch instead. For dress I wear a platinum watch from an Italian designer, Locman . For the track, I wear my Omega Speedmaster. For FOA events I always try to wear my Cartier Ferrari signature watch. I love watches, but like ones with usefullness and style which the Presidential has neither.

5. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Prior to having the day/date I had 2 submariners(1 stainless and 1 half gold) and a GMT master,I found them all to big and bulky the D.D is stylish and perfect for me and it is the only watch I wear/own.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There was a ring of bandito call girls down here that hung out at the Doubletree bar watching for the bling! When spotted, they'd take the bloke for a ride, then take 'em for a ride!

They finally caught 'em. I wear a Swatch!

The other day at a big party, some girl noticed it and just went off on how cool, etc., ........... I started to worry! :)

Rolex does throw a nice race down Florida way, every year.

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Ahh, the era of good feelings continues! Remember this cheerful dialogue?

Dave Moss: Who are you? What's your name?
    Blake: You see this watch? You see this watch?
    Dave Moss: Yeah.
    Blake: That watch costs more than you car. I made $970,000 last year. How much you make? You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a sh*t. Good father, f*ck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close.

DL

8. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Edit: I agree. If you are in the position to blow Rolex President bling bling $$ on a watch, one would only hope that you have the refinement to realize that the Rolex is ABSOLUTELY NOT the watch to buy!

This has been a, "FOR YOUR OWN SAKE, PLEASE DO NOT ASPIRE TO BE JUST LIKE THE GUY YOU SAW ON MTV CRIBS" public service message.

DL

9. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Coffee is for closers....

10. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    So, does Lambo make the Popemobile? I didn't know the Pope was part of the 'heavy wristwatch' crowd.

11. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Darth, I am familiar with ALL the brands from Vacheron & Constantin, Patek Phillippe, Ulysses, Baume & Mercier,, Hublot, Ebel, et al. but that does NOT mean Rolex is not a premier watch in that league. Besides that, perception is reality and MOST of the great unwashed hear or see "Rolex" and wet their pants. I agree however that the brand has become too popular with the rapper crowd and therefore has been rendered passe' to an extent.

12. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Frogman, gotcha, will email back.

ciao

13. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    frogman,

>>>But I do have some cash to waste so please enlighten me...<<<

VINTAGE Omega and Heuer are very nice at reasonable price, as are vintage Pateks (if a bit higher in cost). The vintage Omega wristwatches are especially good IMHO.

If you can swing it, the new Patek Philippe Annual Calender (5035, i think around $13,000 at discount) is a great watch IMHO and goes with everything from suit to jeans. Seen below is the rose gold with black strap.

Enjoy Your Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My dad left me his Omega. Diamonds signifying thirty years employment at Monsanto. My jeweler said to just wear it! Not much of a gold wearer though.

More of a stainless man.

Shouldn't fchatters be lusting after the Rolex Daytona?

15. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    Steven that's a beautiful watch, never been much of a Patek man but they deserve a look.

16. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    A quick primer on the Rolex President:

- The 'president' refers to a particular version of Rolex's well known Oyster Case.

- It is available without a date, with a date with or without the Cyclopse Eye that magnifies it 2.5 times on the 3 o'clock position, and with the day along the top (hence the day/date).

- The two popular band styles are the 'Jubille' bracelet (small links) and the 'Oyster' bracelet (large links)

- They are available in Stainless, Gold/Stainless (known as 'Rolesor'), All gold (yellow, pink, white), or Platinum.

- Options are limitless and includes all kinds of bing.

- The movement is either the popular Rolex automatic self winding movement or the much less purchased quartz movement (kinda like an automatic Ferrari).

That is the low down now for my opinion:

Watches are primarily jewlery that happen to serve a useful purpose. If you want accurate buy a Swatch. Then again we like Ferrari's and it is not because they are 'good' cars. Allan, stay quiet here for a minute here. It is true that the Rolex movement is not the best out there but then again it is probably among the most robust out there. I wear a GMT Master II and never take it off. I bought it for 2 reasons. I liked how it looked and I knew that it would be durable. When it comes to buying a watch, buy what you like. All watches are good and if you are not a die hard, the tiny engineering details are too trivial to worry about.

17. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    But, the Rolex (particularly this style) is a bulky "sports" watch, not a thin, elegant dress watch. Its like putting landau irons and a vinyl roof on a hummer. Watches like the Daytona and other bulky specimens are fine as casual watches, but loading them with diamonds and gold is, to me incongruous. Of course, that's a matter of taste, but that's precisely the point, isn't it? You are buying something, not merely as a timepiece, but as an aesthetic statement. And the statement a gold, bejeweled Rolex President makes is more along the lines of "Yeah, I'm in construction in New Jersey. Gotta problem with that?"

18. nonturbo

nonturbo Rookie

Feb 9, 2004
  19. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    That is a beautiful watch! I love watches like this, I'm not the biggest fan of gold and diamonds. I'll have the leather banded thin ones. :)

20. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan &amp; LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    if you going to spend 20k on a watch, it's better not to get a Rolex, but of a more presitigious brand. ie....Franck Muller, IWC, Patek, Brequet....

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    tifosi69 and Everyone,

Thanks, love the 5035.

VERY good points have been brought up. There are many aspects including "jewelry/visuals", "durability", "horological significance", "bling factor", "craftsmanship", etc. Everyone has their mixture of desires. Mine are visual beauty and horological significance/excellence.

Like women, we all have our preferences. In the end what REALLY matters is that you...

Enjoy Your Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

22. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Hubert888,

My apologies for disagreeing but... Franck Muller (Master of Salesmenship) is generally crap mainstream ETA movement wrapped in a fancy case. WAY overpriced!!!!! Though to each their own.

Enjoy Your Time,

Steven R. Rochlin

23. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui