Pricing Opinions for a 355 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pricing Opinions for a 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dean355, Apr 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    two big things to take the wind out of the crowd who want to beat down 355 prices due to maintenance costs are valve guides and headers being fixed or otherwise ok. Everyone searches threads and finds people quoting dealer prices to repair, using that to try to knock $10k+ off the price. I think cars that can document no valve guide issue (fixed, or late '98 or '99 builds) and aftermarket headers will get strong consideration and a higher price.

On your car Dean if you have compression / leakdown results, I would promote that as evidence of no valve guide issue (many cars never develop excessive guide wear).

I would start at $60k and see if you get any bites if you're not in a huge rush. To me the worst would be listing a 355 for $50k and selling it the next day. d'oh! should've asked more!

2. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #27 DonJuan348, Apr 6, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
    your car is the exception to this argument...

Jay, good point . Once fixed "properly" then valves/header are no longer an issue. the engine out major is more costly and 348/355 "seem" to have more annoying gremlins then 360s

3. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I hear you Jay. You're right. And yes, I have compression results. I will drop it to $59.4 and wait. Not in a hurry to sell at all. I found a 360 that I like, but I certainly am not gonna burn my 355 for a 360!

4. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    +355!

5. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well with everybody arguing about money...

I came home from work today- took the car on a scary fast rip through some local roads (Sorry neighbors...) and just had a blast.. As good as this car sounds (GruppeM Carbon fiber intake manifold and Quicksilver exhaust) I cranked up SRV's "Cold Shot" just as I hit the on ramp to rt 495- touched 130 MPH and then cruised home...

Frankly to delay purchase of a 355 even one day over a few hundred or thousand bucks don't compute to me.

Owned a lot of fast cars...owned a couple of nice F cars... nothing does it for me like this car...

6. Silky Smoove

Silky Smoove Karting

Dec 12, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Marty
    another good post from my boy "FULL".

7. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    UConn whats worse...list for 60k and sit on it for 6 months and see the car you have your eye on get away or list for 50k and sell quickly

8. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
    I am getting significant inquiries at the $59.4K asking price from cars.com... will let you know how it goes.

9. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Hey I hope the same Nigerian prince who wanted my 328 is interested in yours!! He's good people...that check he's gonna send you for $10K MORE than the value of your car is some deal!! (Just kiddin...)

Amazing how some people think a "355" is a "355'...That they're all apples to apples...that color, condition, service history, upgrades and the like don't add to the value of a car, and that a worn 360 with no history in an undesirable color is a better deal than a perfect 355 in the RIGHT color and the RIGHT condition... Although if prices keep dropping we'll all be 430 shopping.

10. Dean355

Dean355 Formula 3

Sep 4, 2006
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Dean
  11. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
  12. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #37 full_garage, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    according to pricing formula about 73,500 and more if it has shields and challenge grill

14. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Well sure- that's what YOU want it to be worth.

Mid 80's is what it will sell for. Maybe not in 24 hours, but it will sell for that. 99s in black with road rash sell in the 70s. UNless you plan to buy a Ferrari on ebay with no PPI.

Buyer will probably wind up striking a high 80s deal with a major included... that seems to be the bargaining chip dealers are using on 355/360 lately.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #40 DonJuan348, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    why would it sell for 80 plus. DEALER is asking 79,9. Probably let it go for 77 or slightly less.

these cars aren't getting what they use to. Thats a fact !

as I said before... 360s can be had for 70s all day long. This is an example of one from a dealer no less.

the 360 price formula is an excellent gauge.

ferrari is still just a car

16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I hear 348s are in the high teens now....

;)

17. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #42 full_garage, Apr 9, 2010
    79s a reasonable deal for that car- Maybe low 80s with the major- That's a cheap 360. You know what they say about buying a "Cheap Ferrari".

Since this one is cheaper there MUST be condition issues that YOU can't see from 400 pixel web images. I think unless you've looked at a LOT of 360's it's difficult to describe how PRISTINE a good car is, and how important that is to pricing. It ain't a Mustang fellas.

Since YOU have not done a PPI and YOU have not done a compression check and YOU know NOTHING about this car other than the ad... I can say for a fact- the dealer knows what he's doing. It's priced there cause it's worth that. I'm sure a test drive and inspection will reveal a dozen minor things that need addressing... things that can add up to $10K before you blink.

Every dealer describes a car as the "Best we have seen"...

My local dealer has a similar car in a less desirable color that probably will change hands for around $80K- they've been asking mid 80s. As with all things that are depreciating- the longer you wait the cheaper it gets...and that's more time spent NOT driving your dream car... And if somebody overpays a few grand to get the RIGHT color and the RIGHT service history RIGHT NOW- who cares? We're not dealers- we're Ferrari lovers... and sometimes love is expensive.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    they will probably sell the car 79k including the major just to move it . If someone pays 80 anything for it, I'm sure they will be handed a lollipop along with the keys

if 348s are in the teens, then I have swamp land for you guys who pay 20 something ...

19. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning hypocrisy, deception, or feigned ignorance) is a situation, literary technique, or rhetorical device, in which there is an incongruity or discordance that goes strikingly beyond the most simple and evident meaning of words or actions.

20. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think we get it... You are only interested in cars that are sold on ebay cheaply... That purchasing a Ferrari should be done ONLY to get the best deal, the cheapest example of a car... That paying a couple of grand more than the cheapest price a car has closed for on ebay in the last 30 days is WRONG and should never be done...

When I was a lurker here I heeded the advice of Fchatters who STRONGLY advised that people stay away from a certain $26K 328 on ebay (That I was JUST ABOUT to bid on!) Instead I bought a $36K 328, drove it for three great seasons and then sold it for $35,800. I thought I had learned my lesson by purchasing a "Bargain" 308 years ago, but sometimes the "bargain hunter" in all of us takes over.

It's a disservice to this community here to recommend ALWAYS finding the cheapest car- I heeded the advice of the Porsche guys on Rennlist and passed on dozens and dozens of cheaper cars when I was looking for a clean 996, then a Carrera 3.2 and then a 928.

Heck- You can find 1990 928's for $6K- I paid much, much more... but I got a car that was owned by a retired engineer who fixed EVERYTHING on the car and handed me three boxes stuffed with new parts he bought but never installed. I then paid my guy (Gerry at EPE in Natick MA) another $3K to go over the car and make sure it was bulletproof. So guys like you COULD have been on Rennlist saying "928's are cheap- don't pay more than $5K".

So please- save it....

It's BAD ADVICE to suggest that cheap Ferraris are a good investment- Not that even $60K is "Cheap"- Sure there are deals to be had, but this is FERRARICHAT, not "Walmartchat". These cars are not investments- we buy them cause we LOVE them, and in my personal experience it is ALWAYS good form to find the best possible example of a car you want, have it vetted to the highest degree you can, and invest the time and money required to properly maintain it. Anything less is wishful thinking, unless your only interest is to show off your fancy car to strangers at the mall.

21. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    #46 DonJuan348, Apr 9, 2010
    the word of the day from Mr. Webster.

lets add realistic and fantasy ...to the word of the day

realistic :a non 355 owner

fantasy : the land where 355 owners live

Full garage (must be full of over priced junk) ...all of you who put down ebay ...its the first place you list your car.

if these car are worth as much sd you say then they would sell for those prices. Good cars can be had for a reasonable price.

355 are the last of the low production number cars so one day they will go up...

there are a lot of 360 so in this bad economy there's no way they can command a high price

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I do full agree there are no cheap ferrari . Bargin cars are the ones you save on upfront but spend it on the back end. Still same money spent ... With more headaches

23. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Filled with FUN...

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    tushay!!

25. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Leave my Tushy out of it...

touché (French pronunciation: [tuʃe]), the French word for "touch", is used as an acknowledgement of a hit[1], called out by the fencer who is hit.