Pride in one's work | FerrariChat

Pride in one's work

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, May 12, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #1 sowest, May 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know this kind of thing has become cliche for the disinterested worker, but it still made me roll my eyes when I saw it....;>)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Dang union thugs..

3. Hawaiian35

Hawaiian35 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    That's the local way for yah!!! Laid back type of life. In my working place there are about 150 employees and the majority of them are lazy on a Friday since weekend is coming up. Monday comes everyone is calling in sick. When they get back on Tuesday first thing in the morning before work begins at 7:00 am they tell me " I'm Tired!!" They start 7am but they don't put in an honest work until 9:30am after the first break!! Work for about an hour and then some they gossip, some they go on the computer yahoo, ebay, Facebook, ESPN sport scores or somethin....then it's lunch time. When they get back from lunch they feel so heavy and lazy from eating too much. More gossip and work at the same time. Work and deadlines not getting done til the last break. Breaks are only 15min.....but the majority take 30-45 min break. When they get back they do timecards. Clean up and wait for 4 pm.

This is what happens in my company ( LM ) almost every single day!!!! I hate lazy people and not paying attention to what they do at work!

4. alfas

alfas Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2009
    chicago
    #4 alfas, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    that image warrants a thread and disdain ???

seriously?

there's more to worry about than some misaligned manhole cover being indicative of the demise of the worker in america...

how about the failed ceo's that get the parachute undeservedly, the government on both sides that fails to govern, local, federal budgets, education etc., etc...

aligned or not it's just a manhole cover as opposed to something that really matters...

5. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Obviously you haven't spent much time in Hawaii.

6. RWG0417

RWG0417 Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Midwest/SanDiego
    Sorry, it does matter. Might not be a bid deal to most people, but that is exactly the point. Why settle for average? It does not take any more work to put it back straight/correct/right. America was not built over the last 200 years with "average." Being exceptional starts with the little things...........like this manhole cover. If my son did that I would make him straighten it.

7. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I haven't spent any time there, so I have no idea what you are getting at. Is there some major epidemic of misaligned manhole covers in Hawaii? ;)

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Mediocre and non performance is the norm and expected in Hawaii. Locals acting like ignorant morons to avoid taking responsibility. Asians acting like they don't speak English to avoid confrontation. I hate it there. Hey, there's a pull out spot on the highway, lets empty the garbage out right there. I'm done with this car lets pull over take the plates off and leave.
    I can't come to work today......its May Day!!!!!!

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    never lived in HI but spent a fair amount of time there...spot on.

:rolleyes:

10. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Drive down Kamehameha highway to get a good look at this type of work. The lines look like they were painted after an all night Kava party.

11. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The strange thing is that it takes no more energy to do things correctly the first time than it takes to do a slack job.

12. Hawaiian35

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    You folks are right. Heck I lived here and not only there's a lot of lazy laid back people here, it is also boring after awhile. I just don't have a choice right now! Don't ever live here. This place is only meant for honeymooners, or people who wants to experience heading to a nice beach for the first time. Stay a week or two max, and then leave!!!!!! Hawaii can only offer the following:

1. Beaches
    2. Surf / Canoe
    3. Coconuts
    4. Pineapples
    5. Sun
    6. Shave Ice
    7. Resorts
    8. Leis
    9. Hula
    10. SPAM

So, if none of these appeals to you then you are ruining your day, your time, and your life! Two words........( Stay Away )

13. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You forgot malasadas, sticky rice, and kalua pork.

14. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Dude... Hawaii is a lifestyle Bra... I lived here back in the 80's and have always longed to return.. Made it my life's work to move back...Finally did. You forgot to add weather to your list, fresh air.. Laid back lifestyle, grow your own food, fishing.. I will admit it is not the most convenient place to live but hey; it's still the islands.. I will live longer here just based upon the stress level being lower alone.

15. Hawaiian35

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    I came to O'ahu in 1990. It was the best back then. It was really laid back, no problems, economy was great, stores were making money, tourism was great, locals still have the ohana, and they'll stop to help strangers, traffic wasn't that bad at all, radio stations such as I-94 playing great R&B, and Hip-Hop, gas price back then on a high octane 92 was $1.97 to the gallon, mayor, and the governor were good, cops were laid back, food prices not bad at all, no furlough Fridays, and kids were acting like kids, less if not no drugs at all on the streets, less pot holes on the freeways and highways, bus pass for a month was like only $12, man.........I can go on and on and on!!!!

Fast forward in to 2011 almost everything is the opposite!!!! Unemployment is greater, food and gas prices soaring high, some reatil stores are closing for bankruptcy, tourism has decline specially of what happened to Japan, the " OHANA" is diminishing, people don't stop to help those who are in need of help no more, radio stations plays junk R&B, and Hip-Hop...Justine Bieber is rubbish, cops are very aggressive in giving citations, and speeding tickets for their quota, kids and pre-teens nowadays acting tough, and F this and F that, no respect to the elders, mayor, and the governor I guess they are alright thank God MUFI left the office, more and more pot holes and ugly roads on the islands specially around Ala Moana.....man I can go on and on and on............So basically the islands went from paradise to a parasites! SAD SAD SAD!

16. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Those things are dang heavy, have you ever tried to streighten one out? Easy way to lose a finger. Lots of lazyness in the world, but I would not say that failing to make a manhole cover line up with the crosswalk lines would be a real sign of it.

17. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #17 DennisForza, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011
    And don't forget, "Radio Free Hawaii". Things change, some things are mo' bettah, some thing have gone down hill. 1990 the drugs were there, the roads were not close to perfect (in fact remember one monster pothole that would knock off hubcaps daily on the LikeLike), kids skipped school to listen to NWA and other gangster rap thinking they were Crips and Bloods, and if you didn't have friends in the Hui a white boy could get his nose busted in the lineup. ;)

Trying to keep folks away are you? :D I would move back in a second, but the wife won't agree to live that far away from her family. Aloha! Anyone that finds themselves bored in Hawaii is not trying. In my years living there, "bored" is not something that EVER came up in my mind; it is hard for me to believe that things have changed THAT much.

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You left off, fishing, golfing, tennis, sailing. I tell my friends that want to move over here that it truly is paradise for the ultra rich or ultra poor, but if you're in the middle you have to provide your own happiness from within and this will depend entirely upon what kind of person you are.

As far as working and the workforce...heaven help you if you are trying to move up or even worse...trying to initiate change! Evil haole trying to change tings. LOL

19. RWG0417

RWG0417 Karting

Dec 20, 2007
    Midwest/SanDiego
    Maybe, unless your job was................say..............working in the manholes. I can't imagine there are too many "non manhole cover workers" ever moving these things.

20. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #20 sowest, May 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Etcetera

Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Every time I am in Hawaii, I make it a point to rotate every cover I see by 90 degrees.

22. Hawaiian35

Dec 4, 2007
    Ewa Beach Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Robsky
    It reads.......shhhhh....cool! That's cool!

23. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Thats funny.
    One day I needed to do some plumbing in my Condo. I was required to notify maintenance 1 week in advance so that they could shut off the water and notify other owners. The day came and my plumber is standing there and we wait and wait. Finally an hour later I call to see where the maintenace guy is. Find out he got the building number wrong and is waiting at a different building. My building is #11!!!!!!! So finally he shows up 1 1/2 hour late (plumbers on my clock) and shows us where the valve is. I say you need to shut it off. He says no its old and might break, have your plumber shut it off. We argue and he finally storms away.
    So I have to take the chance of busting an old un-maintained valve, that is the property and responsibility of Property Maintenance, and the dude heads back to the shop for some must needed R&R.

24. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    shhhhhhhhhhh, it is cool to go to school. ;)