Problem - Fuel pumps won't prime, testarossa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Problem - Fuel pumps won't prime, testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by ManCar, Mar 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ManCar

ManCar Karting

May 6, 2009
    Down South
    When it started I didn't hear the pumps like I always did before. Makes me wonder if that priming noise was a sign of things to come or a sign of more things to come now that's it quiet... BTW, looks like the Durite relay might work out. Once fully tested with some mileage I'll post it in the cross referrence section.

Thanks so much for your help. I hope this is the end!

2. ManCar

ManCar Karting

May 6, 2009
    Down South
    Sorry, one more question. Can I remove the two wires in W and the yellow one in Y and tie them together or do the W wires power something else in the fuse panel?

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #28 Steve Magnusson, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    You can remove the GN wire from the y connector, but the AN wires must be connected to the male pin on the PWB in the w connector because this also runs relay S (key controlled services). This connection from the male pin of the AN wires to relay S must be OK as you would've noticed things like the windows not working, turn signals not working, etc. if it were bad. What you could do is, back about an inch or two from the w connector on the larger of the two AN wires, remove a small section of the insulation without cutting copper conductor. This would give you a place to connect the jumper wire while keeping the AN connection in the w connector active.

4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Steve,

Your knowledge of TR electrical systems is truly impressive. Ferrari dealers should pay you to solve their TR electrical issues.....cheaper in the long-run.

We all appreciate your postings.

Too bad we don't have a TR REPAIR STICKY !!!

...you have to keep posting the same things over and over.....

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thanks for the kind words Shamile. This thread did seem to start out on a subject that we've covered many times before, but (surprisingly) it wound up being a TR fuse-relay panel problem that I don't believe we've previously encountered. Just what we need -- another potential TR fuse-relay panel problem ;)

6. hansgehlin

hansgehlin Rookie

Apr 20, 2012
    Help please!
    When I started my TR its only runs on six cyliders (rh side) after a couple of tests
    I discovered that the fuel pump does not shut down. (I have to disconnect the battery) What's wrong?? Hans from Sweden

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please give year/model/version of your "TR"

Assuming that it is a testarossa/TR (and not a 512TR) -- these problems would be unrelated. For a TR to run on the 1-6 side bank only (i.e., 7-12 bank dead), the trouble has to be with the 7-12 fuel pump operation (as both fuel pumps will turn off if the 7-12 bank has no ignition present). When you say "that the fuel pump does not shut down" -- do you mean both fuel pumps are running with the key "off" or only one fuel pump? Instead of disconnecting the battery, try removing the fuel pump relays one at a time to see which one, or both, are wrongly running with the key "off" (and the labeling on the fuse-relay panel is very confusing -- the relay labeled "RH side" is mounted on the RH side of the chassis, but goes to the 7-12 LH engine bank; and likewise, the relay labeled "LH side" is mounted on the LH side of the chassis, but goes to the 1-6 RH engine bank).