360 - Problem w/ Cam Belt change | FerrariChat

360 Problem w/ Cam Belt change

Discussion in '360/430' started by ccalo, Jul 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    So, in the process of changing my cam belts I continued turning my engine by hand in an attempt to set the proper tension on the driver’s side tensioner, only to find out that the hydraulic tensioner was bad. I ordered a new hydraulic tensioner and when it arrived i continued the hand turning process, but the driver side is still not coming into spec and doesn’t maintain the1.9mm. The hydraulic tensioner collapses to 1.5 to 1.7 after it rests for 10 minutes, but oddly the pin still moves in and out without resistance. I ordered the tensioner for a well known US dealer, but the paper bag which did contained the proper part number was opened when it arrived by mail. I removed the plug in bank #1 I found TDC with a dial, marked crank, pulleys, and cam gears prior to beginning the process. Passenger side went perfect on the 1st attempt. I didn’t however remove the spark plugs during the process so the engine was pretty hard to turn when I began the process. During the process I noticed that the engine is becoming much easier to turn by hand. The BIG QUESTION is this, did I cause damage to the pistol rings, valves or any other mechanical component due to lack of lubricant starvation by the oil pump not running? Also, why would the engine appear to be getting easier to turn? Also, a side note I left the oil pump belt on during the process, but I’m pretty sure that the hand turning would not provide enough pressure to lube the engine during the rotations.

As always thank you for your assistance and I’m extremely grateful knowledge provided by Ferrari chat community. Sorry for the long read.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Turning the engine by hand should not cause piston ring to cylinder wall damage.

some other experts on timing will need to chime in on how to verify timing after your belt and tensioner swap …. Before you try to start it.

3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

"The hydraulic tensioner collapses to 1.5 to 1.7 after it rests for 10 minutes," that's normal, even your measurement could have on and offs.
    and yes, tolerance of 1.9-1.5=0.4mm or 1.9-1.7=0.2mm will allow your pin to be inserted, depending on the cross section area of the pin.
    you rotated it, the oil pump will pump, im not sure how the inards of the pump - to - nozzle work, but it must be oiling during your roation

ccalo likes this.
  4. ccalo

ccalo Karting

Aug 20, 2013
    CT us
    Full Name:
    Carmine Calo
    thank you for the clarification