Problem with axle shaft / rear wheel bearings 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Problem with axle shaft / rear wheel bearings 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Martin308GTB, Feb 18, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    like mentioned somewhere in one of my first posts regarding this thread, I mentioned, that the old axle shaft part no. 108046 was superceded by 124964. And this is, what's available. No 108046 any more. In the meantime I saw, that this is actually a 328 shaft.
    I would prefer to opt for new ones. Used ones mostly come from accident cars and I don't want axle shafts which suffered big impacts in their past.
    Problem with such failures is, that they can get initiated long before they completely fail.

Now when I compare the parts books of both 308 and 328 I see, that the design is slightly different. There's a spacer between the outer bearing and the axle flange. Is anyone of you familiar with the 328 layout ? Does that axle shaft fit ? Or do I need additional parts to make it fit ?

Best Regards and thank you

Martin

2. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

All very true. I went to the point of doing a dye penetrant crack test on the 3 suject caps when returned to my shop. I left the crayon marks on the caps put there by the aircraft shop so to pin point the effected areas. Absolutly nothing showed up with the dye using a 10 power scope for inspection. This is an area of expertise that is truely left to the real pro's and not the self taught.

Regarding the stub axels, I tried some mods to the old English cars I used to race and found some interesting results over the years. In a TR3 I cut wedges out of the top of the axel tubes and bent both sides and welded them back together. This gave me about 1.6 degrees of rear negitive camber on a solid tube type rear end. It also required the axel to be constantly bent and over time the failure prediction of 2 race weekends proved quite accurate over a number of years. When the supply of axels got dangerously low I mounted a pair in the lathe and greatly undercut the transition area from the axel to the flange (same area we have been seeing fail on the Ferrari stubs). The new, greatly increased radius was then polished out and a spiral polish pattern put on for a final finish. With this mod the failure rate of the axels in this race car went from 2 race weekends to 5 years running before someone else had to have the car worse than myself. Last I heard he never had a failure as well.

With this knowledge in hand, any axel or stub I remove to re-bearing gets the same treatment. If you look closely at the Ferrari parts they have a very small radius in this area which leads to an obvious stress riser point. There are many areas on the Ferrari's that have far too small a radius used in their machining of the parts. Dont just wash the parts and reinstall, inspect them closely and question if the design is proper.

Dave

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hello,

o.k.; I will reuse my axle shafts because; after I found out, according to Ferrari Technical Information No. 449 ( Ferrari UK sent me a pdf this morning ) , that I need further - some not available - parts for using the available 328 variant, I decided to have mine checked.
    Highly interesting is the fact, that the conversion document refers mainly to Mondial cars. It seems, that Ferrari got aware about the axle failure problem, especially on these cars and therefore released that Technical info.
    But back to my shafts;
    I have a VERY good customer with a fully equiped material testing laboratory and today I had a meeting there. While discussing other things, the laboratory x-rayed and magnafluxed my axle shaft and as a precaution they performed a Rockwell test. On both shafts without positive result; say nothing to be concerned about. The whole thing cost me a six pack of good german beer for each persons involved ( 2 ).

I will reuse the shafts and use some Loctite on the inner bearings seat.

But inevitably we discussed the whole thing and also the fact, that the nut being loose is a common thing. Our conclusion is the following. With the torque of around 220 Nms the surface pressure on the very narrow shoulder at the flange, where the outer bearing sits, gets too high.
    Ferrari's design change with the later axle shaft confirms this. Instead of the shoulder, which is part of the axle shaft flange, they now use a hardened spacer no. 124965.
    We also discussed, what can finally lead to a complete axle failure ( breaking ) and our theory is, that excessive axial play, caused by a VERY loose nut can cause the catastrophic failure, because of permanent impacts with each change of load.

So everyone, who uses a punch to fasten the ring nut may be warned. BTW; similar failures occured at main transmission shafts, when fastening the ring nut incorrectly after a clutch replacement.

If someone's interested in the Ferrari Technical Info No. 449, which shows the conversion, send me PM with your e-Mail address and I will gladly forward the document to you.

Best Regards from Germany

Martin

4. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Great info.

Please clarify . . would a surface magnaflux performed by an aircarft inspection person tell you anything? Again, the one aircraft inspection fellow I chatted with gave me the impression that most cracks can be detected on the surface . . . isn't this where the crack would form on this radius that is being referred to? . . on the surface?

Sean

edit:

from the other thread . .. quote from ricrain . .. still like to know what you guys think about an aircraft guy doing surface inspection

At a track event, back when the 348 challenge series just started, I spent a good 20 minutes talking to Umberto Masoni, the (then) Technical Liaison for FNA about this problem. He told me that this problem originated back in the days of the early 308's. In the case of 308's, it was mostly, according to him (and the official FNA line), due to the fact that owners were buying aftermarket rims with incorrect offsets. This put undue stress on the 'T' intersection of the axle and hat, and resulted in "premature" failures. It was his contention that anyone racing 3X8's, especially with track or race tires, have the stub axles inspected annually. He said that magnafluxing would not typically reveal the problem, but X-raying would.

YMMV

5. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    David,

Would you see any cracks in the shafts on the British cars when you swapped 'em out after a couple weekends?

Thanks,

Sean

6. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Somone . . Scott? . . . should model it on Solidworks or something and see where she yields . . .play with the radius and weaker materials, etc.

Like I said before, the P car parts I think are smaller and I also thought they shoulder on the flange the same way but different kind of bearing . . really want to tear that down now to compare cross sections, radius, etc.

Sean

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I could make it - with ProEngineer and ProMechanica FEM. Problem; determining the forces applied.

Best Regards

Martin

8. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I'd start with a cornering force of 1.5g's with a 3500 lb load . .. maybe worst case the entire 3500 lb applied laterally at the edge of the one rear tire . .. the radius of the tire is the moment arm.

You could add a engine tq moment in there also . .. worst case flywheel tq.

Be a starting point . . . keep increasing the load and seen when she fails.

Sean

9. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Looked like a spider web with the iron dust from the Mag check. Nothing visually detectable without. Remember there is a consumer acceptable factor in play here. It involves a number of additional operations to undercut, radius and polish these areas and that equates to additional costs. Considering the abuse these stubs take I think they have a great track record but we started checking these anytime they were in hand about 10 years ago.

Dave

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    o.k., if I find the time over the weekend - depending on weather :) - I will start with creating a Pro/E-model. Now that I have the axle shafts lying on my workbench this is a good occasion.
    After this we could further discuss the forces applied. Your suggestions are indeed a good starting point, but we have to discuss dynamic forces. For instance; impacts do interest most. What forces when driving through potholes ?

Best Regards

Martin

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Not only do they have the glide path of an anvil, they seem to be pretty good at disintegrating to pieces on the way down. The only saving grace is that they will probably spin you up fast enough on the way down to make you pass out. That way you wont feel it when you splat.

12. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull

Thanks . . so what are the benefits of Xray on a part like this . .. is the fracture not going to begin on the skin?

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    From my meager technical background and constant re-readings of Carroll Smith's writings, ..."All cracks start on the surface", (unless there is a major internal inclusion/flaw). from Engineering To Win.

With respect to the engineering profession,
    chris

14. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Knew I'd read that somewhere in the last few year :) Love his books . .. referred to them above in another post . . .one of them has the proper bearing layout for the upright . .. somewhat irrelevant to this problem though.

I think the reason for the Xray is to know it was a good part from the factory . .. that one that broke in the other threads had a void.

Sean

15. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Martin, please clarify about what they should be warned about doing/not doing.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Verell; sorry this was a little bit unclear, what I said. I of course I DID NOT mean locking the nut with a punch, what's of course correct. I meant the following; I have actually seen ring nuts which were 'torqued / tightened' with the help of a punch, because of not having the correct ring nut socket.
    Of course it is clearly impossible to reach only a fraction of the required torque with this method. And the remaining play can lead to a failure / break of such shafts.

Martin

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    after repeated thorough study I recognized, that the Ferrari Tech Info 449 is NO conversion suitable for the 308 cars.
    It's a document how the factory took action regarding the Mondial axle shaft failures they were clearly aware of.
    It does not only involve replacement of the shaft, but also new uprights !!
    Mainly - I assume from what I can measure and interpolate on the tiff they sent me - an increased diameter of the shaft ( outer bearing seat ). And the shoulder surface pressure issue I mentioned earlier in this thread.
    This required a new upright, because the outer bearing race is also increased.

So the part no. information from Ferrari is misleading, because 'supercedes' would mean swapping without modifications. There are no 308 axle shafts available at the moment, because one cannot swap 108046 ( 308, Mondial 8 / QV ) and 124964 ( 328 / Mondial 3.2 )

What also attracted my attention from what I see on the drawing is the obviously siginificantly diffferent length of the upper and lower wishbones. The upright looks completely different than a 308 upright regarding the wishbone joints. This would mean a fairly significant change in camber and much more than on the 308 cars while the suspension moves up and down. Couldn't this put more transverse moment on the shaft ?

Martin

18. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    I have a set of Mondial uprights and shafts on the shelf. I will pull the stubs this AM and measure to see if we can identify the differances and if parts might be used in one anothers applications.

Martin, I am not sure I would let the scoring on your shaft keep you from using the car if it passes Mag testing and the effected area is properly polished out. I am far more concerned about the transition area at the flange as that has such a small radius and is the area of the highest stress. A standard drive train simply doesnt have enough torque available to concern me with the damage you have. Had the scoring been on the outer bearing seat it would be a different story as this is the area of concern to me.

Obviously photos only tell part of the story and you have the parts in hand and can see the damage far better than any of us. Sticky tires, non stock offsets, tracking the car..... all change the story considerably.

Dave

19. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    As told to me by the pro's in the field, yes almost all cracks start on the surface. The pro Mag guys can identify forging and casting flaws before they even become cracks and depending on the current levels they use in testing can identify these flaws subsurface.

The last time I used XRay was to inspect 40 year old Magnesium race wheels to see if they were OK for Parade laps / photo shoots at the track. These tests were backed up with Sonic checks and we were able to see that Jim Clarks life was in danger when the car was quite new! Voids everywhere and a miracle they lasted this long in one piece. Most of the XRay and Sonic checking I have had done is on non-ferrous material and is wonderful to see what the first serial number was on some Vintage Ferrari blocks before that was filed off and restamped. I have not used either methods on steel parts.

Dave

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #45 Martin308GTB, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    so because I want to assemble all things again tomorrow I took my time to make a parametric model with ProEngineer of that dreaded part.
    The most critical radius I have 'painted' red.
    No clue what I now do with it ? ProMechanica FEA ? Perhaps, but this takes more effort and time.
    But if someone who has the capabilities is interested in a Step, IGES, etc. or whatsoever interface file, let me know.

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #46 Martin308GTB, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    a quick ProE - assembly; this is the principle of the Mondial conversion and how it's on the 328. Larger radius and better surface pressure conditions.

Martin

22. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    Looks like they might of bought a copy of Carrol Smith's "Prepare to Win" and looked at the illustrations/discussions on p 93-95 . .. an important feature is the use of a spacer between the bearing and flange so you can machine a bigger radius in there . . just like Ferrari did in their revision. This is a poor design . .. now I'm looking at this more my mentor would have fired me for designing a part like this when there's desktop references available . .. would expect this from some dune buggy outfit . . . looking forward to the next guy that says "they're not dummies" . . . this is the kind of part that should be bullet proof if you build F1 cars . . . the electircs/slow windows I can excuse . . . they should be embarassed . .. "fundamental design error".

After sleeping on it at least I have a little confidence in the fact that if the part is properly inspected, I "might" not be putting my life on the line :(. If I stay the course looks like I'll need a bunch of the axle nuts for the periodic inspections.

Sean

23. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think your being a bit harsh Sean. I would tend to side more with Dave here a bit, in over 30 years the cars have held up remarkably well as long as they are serviced reasonably. The tires and rims being used on these cars today were not available back when the cars were designed, and certainly the use of spacers and larger offsets have always been frowned upon by every manufacturer, not only Ferrari. While its certainly a bummer to have one break, I think the odds of it happening if the car is assembled correctly and the wheels and tires are reasonable, are probably about nil. The Mondials that broke stubs, and the one 348 I know of, were all, or had been run on race tracks and all had had offset rims and or spacers. And that all adds up to three cars total, two Mondials and one 348. I suppose there are others but I dont believe the sky is falling. Not yet anyway :)

24. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    This discussion has - obviously - revolved around the 308/328/Mondial. What about cars like the 288 GTO and especially the F40, which have seen profesional race action and in that environment, have been subjected to nearly twice the power and way over 1g cornering forces? I've never heard of one of their stub-axles failing; what design/layout do they use? I'm sure these teams test these components, but did they use different parts that corrected the design faults of the 308 series?

Keep in mind, the 288 GTO/F40 is a closer relative to the 308 series (oval steel tubular space-frames, steel A-Arm suspensions, cast-aluminum uprights, etc...), than the bespoke, high-tech F50/Enzo cars (carbon-fibre monocoques, I'm guessing forged arms/uprights and other exotic materials...).

25. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    I have 12" wide Hoosiers on the back of my '73 911 . . that car came with tiny tires from the factory . .. guess the engineers at Porsche expected their customers to track their cars . .. Ferrari engineers figured the 308 was a slow POS so there was no need to over-engineer the component . . .

Now that's harsh :).

I thought Rifledriver saw more than just a couple of failures . . . . rifledriver, rifledriver, rifldriver . . . (trying the Beetlejuice thing to get him to appear gain :))

Sean

P.S. I'm still completely intoxicated by the red mist but this is sobering :)

Edit/Addition: Had an aircraft inspection guy over yesterday . . if it wasn't for the Ortega drive tomorrow I'd be pulling 'em right now for him to check . . . be pulling tomorrow after the drive.