Problem with gearbox, whining in 5th gear | FerrariChat

Problem with gearbox, whining in 5th gear

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 928s, Aug 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 928s

928s Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Greg Gray
    With the 550/575 stick shift gearbox what would cause a 5th gear whine? In terms of parts what would it cost to put it right? Apart from the whine no problems and not overly high kms. Are these gearboxes reliable in general or are they problematic? Any hints would be appreciated. Is there a workshop manual you can buy on CD for trouble shooting?

Sorry for all the questions

Greg

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Greg- The 550 and 575M have different gearboxes. There is no difference between the F1 and manual shifter gearboxes except the shifter mechanism and clutch throw-out bearing on the 575M.WSMs are available on CD for both.

More info on your car will help. Away from my computer so unable to look up the details.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

3. 928s

928s Rookie

Mar 30, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Greg Gray
    O.K thanks for the response, I thought the gearboxes were the same on the 550 and 575, why did they change? Doesn't make much sense to me, or is it just a minor change? If you can find any clues that would be appreciated.

Greg

4. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Greg- The 575M gearbox was condiderably beefed up for use with the F1 shifter. Among the improvements were triple cone synchronizers on 1st and 2nd gear and I am sure the pros can chime in with others.

Makes a lot of sense when you consider the F1 shifter makes shifts in 250 milliseconds and an HGTC can do it in 180 ms.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Serious abuse and lack of maintenance are really the only 2 reasons I have seen problems with those transmissions. They were well built and well designed for the job but some owners are very capable of breaking a steel ball. It will be impossible to determine what is wrong and how costly it is to fix until it is taken out and apart.

6. drabe

drabe Karting

May 29, 2010
    I just noticed this on my new to me 575M 6 speed. It's a mild whine, but it's there. Any further info?

7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    how do u abuse 6th gear ?

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Abe- Brian, the pro in the previous post a year or so ago, recommends changing transmission fluid every year instead of every other year. The pump lubricated Ferrari transaxles operate at high temperatures, despite the fact they have a transaxle cooler, and are rough on oil.

Nobody is particularly fond of the OEM Shell oil and many recommend a 75W-90 Red Line synthetic. I personally use Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 in mine and it works very well.

The first thing I would do is change the transaxle oil and see if that cures your problem. It is also possible someone put the wrong stuff in there, in which case changing would be a really good idea.

Henry- 5th gear is apparently the whiney one.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

9. drabe

drabe Karting

May 29, 2010
    That is on my to do list. Thanx, Taz