Problem with performance with iPE full exhaust | FerrariChat

Problem with performance with iPE full exhaust

Discussion in '360/430' started by jo.e, Jul 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    I really wanted a high pitch Formula 1 sound on my F430 Spider. In addition, I had the aim to get more power from 5,000 rpm to 8,500 rpm. So I opted for iPE manifolds, 200 cell sport catalytic converters and iPE rear muffler. The sound has been brutal and is really great. But I'm disappointed with the performance measurement. We measured the car stock and now after the conversion. The picture shows the diagram (black is with iPE). We have a big drop in horsepower and torque at 4,000 rpm, then a steep 5,000 rpm increase, and starting at 6,000 rpm, it's back to stock. The top performance peak at 8,400 rpm was stock also slightly better than with iPE. Before 4,000 rpm, the iPE setup is better, but then comes the drop and he can not catch up. I have heard many times that an X-Pipe exhaust like iPE costs some power but brings better sound. Do you think it's because of the X-Pipe exhaust or do I have another problem? Have you already had experience with it?

I will soon install the stock rear silencer and then measure again. Then we will see which component is responsible. Could there be a problem with variable camshaft timing or intake?

Sorry for my bad english!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Have you had a tune to take into account the changes?

Ultimately however you are right: the X-Pipe will not flow as well at such a wide RPM range as two full size tubes.

Gh21631 and jo.e like this.
  3. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    The software is stock. I think it is the X-Pipe too. We will see when I measure with the stock muffler.

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here is my graph for comparison - I have other modifications so ignore the figures, but crucially the catless manifolds with the stock tune aren't optimal.

My car has Capristo manifolds, 200 cell cats, and a silenced X-pipe. The valves are in place and operational.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    These are the best numbers I've seen. Mark, how much lost do you think you have to the wheels on the 563hp?

6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm thinking 13% lost and SAE correction would probably put you around .....465 ish??

OP, are you running a valve with the IPE system?

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A chassis dyno can only read wheel hp. Unless it has some guesstimate fudge factor built in which would be rubbish.

To the op, I believe it's the headers. Most people who have installed aftermarket headers have noticed this (considerable) torque drop in the mid range. Most aftermarket headers have bigger primary tubes than stock and are 4-1 design. I believe this plays havoc with the tune around where the variators are kicking in. I believe when Ferrari designed there 4-2-1 header they got it right including the tube sizes. Build quality is a different story. The challenge cars and scuds have the same manifolds but without the pre cats. (which I fitted) Bigger headers can give you a bump in top end hp but at the expense of mid range torque. I know what I would rather have.

Gh21631 likes this.
  8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Are you saying that the 563hp is a wheel hp number??? I don't think Mark is boosted :)

9. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I may be a little off base here, but I seem to recall others posting in the past that after market header installs warranted dyno analysis and an ECU flash to compensate for the modified exhaust flows? I saved a link to one of the firms in Florida that offers this service since I've been meaning to replace the stock headers for some time, but unable to decide which aftermarket exhaust I think I'd like.

I'm particularly interested in the IPE system being a fan of an "F1 sound" as well. Any additional input you can offer re: IPE would be very welcome (e.g. installation issues, quality, etc.). I've read a few too many posts from others unhappy the volume being much louder than they anticipated with some of the other more popular choices in the U.S.

10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    The Florida firm is Mase Engineering. I had mine done there.

11. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think 563 is a touch optimistic: ~540 would be more realistic and in line with the modifications. Unfortunately I don't have a before graph as the car required a tune to run following the changes I'd made.

It's certainly very lively from 3.5k upwards!

12. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    Here is a short video from the sound:

The sound is very nice. Only the droning with closed valves at about 2,500 rpm disturbs a little bit. Only with iPE muffler is it a nice sound and not too much. With closed valves it is 10 dB quieter than stock exhaust. But with iPE headers and 200 cell catalysts it is brutal.

I think it is important to say that my diagram is HP from engine power not from wheels. My car had original 479 hp and 475 Nm. I am very satisfied with the stock power. Now I have no catalyst in the headers and only a 200 cell main catalyst, so I think it is much better for the car. That the 4 in 1 headers are only from 5,000 rpm better was clear to me, but that they drop down between 4,000 and 5,000 I had not expected. In the next weeks I will make a dyno with stock muffler and no X-Pipe exhaust. I think this is very interesting. Then I can make a plan if I still change the rear muffler in a Capristo Twinsound or if I let the car retune with new software.

BruceC likes this.
  13. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for the sound byte - that sounds fantastic! Very much to my liking. I am definitely looking forward to learn what you discover with the x-pipe and stock muffler.

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I have no idea of his mods but if you take your car to a dyno you get wheel hp figures only. Anyone who claims different is feeding you mumbo jumbo.

Gh21631 likes this.
  15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Your "diagram" (dyno print out) Shows 350odd wheel hp. Chassis dynos can not read engine hp.

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Another interesting note is all the muscle cars I have had dynoed we keep revving them till the power level peaks or plateaus. No point going any further as the power just starts dropping off. Both the graphs in this thread and all the other dyno graphs I have seen for these engines show power still rising quite steeply at redline. 458's redline at 9k which is one of the ways they make more power. I'll bet their power is still rising at redline too. Virtually all cars make peak power quite a way before redline... but not these ones. F1 when naturally aspirated made more and more power by upping the redline, till they capped it.

17. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't need a dyno graph to tell that's bogged down at low RPM. My previous recommendation stands: seek a tuner who has a bit of experience with these cars and take it from there.

18. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #18 Flea7, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    The 563hp is crank HP numbers. No way is it to the wheels. That was my point.
    Not all dynos read wheel hp.
    I'm running headers, testpipes, & Kline with Mase upgrade and I put down probably 465hp to the wheels. it's about 540hp to the crank.

do the math redtaxi.....563 to the wheels mean its about 650hp to the crank....NO WAY

jo.e likes this.
  19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes - it is a crank figure.

20. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I've got a full IPE on my 360, so, slightly different than you with the 430.

However, are you dynoing with the Valves Open? I find, that when the Valves are open, the car definitely loses TQ. But, with teh Valves closed, it feels stronger in the mid-range.

I also have a Simon Motorsports Stage 2 ECU Flash, along with some Intake Tubes. I reckon I should be somewhere around 475 to 500hp on a good day? Never dynoed though.

21. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    I'm in Germany. My diagram shows the power in kW. 351.5 kW are 478 hp on the engine. Although all dynos in Germany measure on the wheel, they correct the drag power to the engine power in accordance with the EWG standard. Thus I have with the iPE Setup 478 hp and 476 Nm on the engine. This is a little worse than stock. I think the software can not handle or use the iPE setup and I have to reprogram the ECU.

I think with this setup a maximum of 510 hp engine power is possible. Nobody here has 550 hp or more without turbo conversion or compressor conversion on the engine. And the Ferrari 360 usually have less power than 400 hp stock. Never has a 360 over 420 hp, not even with iPE and software !!! Sorry!

22. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Correct you can remove your engine and couple it to an engine dyno and then and only then will you read engine power.
    Your dyno guy clearly has some sort of fudge factor programmed in to estimate engine power which completely ruins the reason for using a chassis dyno, which is tuning. Unless he has at some point removed an engine the same as yours with the exact same mods and then engine dynoed it, then he is guessing. Every engine is different especially if modified and every car is different. Even tyre size makes a difference on a chasis dyno. Chassis dynos that give an engine output exist to put smiles on customers faces. Dyno racing is an increasingly competitive sport.

23. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Give it a rest man...you obviously didn't know what the F430 is pulling. I don't need a lesson on dynos......I know how how they work and the different types.

24. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  25. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    I'm not sure about that, but I'll find out soon. But I also think the Capristo Racing (is also almost X-Pipe) costs some performance. Also a good Mercedes AMG tuner said that a C63 with X-Pipe had about 20 hp less. In the case of the iPE, however, it is even more the case that exactly in the X is the turn-off into the rear silencer. There could be turbulences here. We will see.