Project Mondial | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Project Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Leighton360, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Cool!
    I was thinking on a broken clutch plate, but you could switch gears when jacked up.. Or perhaps the piece move right after starting the engine again. Curious what you will find!

2. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Planned to inspect and change the clutch but a problem encountered.

Everything went well until the bell housing removal was attempted .
    The nuts came off easily , but when we tried to remove the bell housing ... it parted from the block ok , but then jammed about a quarter of an inch off the block. After lots of attempts , we discovered for some reason it is jamming in the same position on the studs between 9 and 12 o'clock . Tried to remove the studs from the block using the two nut method , but they did not want to budge - certainly did not want to force anything and maybe strip threads etc , or use excessive force that may damage the housing ; the housing is obviously being pulled squarely , but the hole diameter tolerances are really tight - its almost an interference fit ...
    Have now left the housing in that position and will re-visit the job in the week -I know we will get it off eventually ( think the last resort will be to drill out the studs ) , but i was hoping it was going to be this weekend

She is throwing some challenges at us !!!!

3. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #78 MvT, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not sure where it is stuck. Either the bearing (12) or the stop ring (16). The stop ring is located on the input shaft which you will need to unclip, or do precision work to carry it over it through the hole inside when leaving it on. Once you know you will get the hang of it also when putting back on the bell housing.

Not sure if you have this link already. When you follow the steps here then all should go well.

Clutch replacement: 308 Series

Just make sure you have the first bearing (If you have it.. I believe the QV does not have it), gear and rear bearing off/out. The bearing (12) behind the gear is secured with a seger ring (17) and needs to be taken out.

All the best,
    Tijn
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #79 Leighton360, Nov 2, 2015
    The good news is that we have managed to remove the bell housing .
    In the end we had to drill out two studs ( see photo) . We found that because the housing is alloy and the studs are steel , there was a reaction between the steel / alloy and this locked the two together in that position .

The condition of the friction plate is good with no oil contamination ; the pressure plate looks good, but we have no way of testing the fingers ; thrust bearing good ... the flywheel is in excellent condition .
    All the clutch parts are being renewed as we have a complete new 3 piece kit .
    We have removed the flywheel , and will replace the bearing and seal behind it . It looked as if there has been a small leak in the past .

Inside the housing / clutch area it was very dirty , so lots of cleaning started and to be completed before reassembly .

General area cleaning will be carried out before reassemby ,which we will be carrying out next weekend ..... and then we will see if we can get smooth gear change ..

5. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

A labor of love

6. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #83 Leighton360, Nov 2, 2015
  7. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice work! :) Not sure how your flywheel looks, but I would not skim it unless you have groves.

Here is a nice vid from Bell refurbishing the flywheel. (Begins at min 8:50)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-hoFUKVk8

Hope things solve when you put the lot together with the clutch set!

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I just watched Bells video. Awesome! Just Awesome!
    Incidentally, my wife came in and asked what are you always watching those "fix your car videos". I told her because they are cool.

We're so lucky that we have a great group of guys with a passion for these cars that are so talented to learn from. Go FChat!

9. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Thanks MVT .. My flywheel is in excellent condition .
    Hopefully a big leap in progress this weekend .

10. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    #87 Leighton360, Nov 26, 2015
    Hi Guys ; its been a little while since i last posted an update ... lots of other commitments have slowed work on the car . Progress far slower than i originally hoped .
    As they say , Rome was not built in a day!!!

Anyway ...This is where we now are at the moment ..

The drilled studs were removed , rethreaded the holes and installed replacement studs ok That job went really well.
    Bell housing cleaned internally and externally
    All new seals fitted
    Cleaned flywheel fitted ; flywheel was in excellent condition
    New 3 piece clutch kit fitted ( pressure plate,friction plate and thrust bearing)
    Bell housing refitted
    Gears refitted with new nuts (torqued and locked) and cover on.
    Oil replaced

When we were in the progress of doing the above job , the decision was made to overhaul the clutch master cylinder - so parts have been ordered .. we thought it would be silly not to address this now ... cylinder removed . A little tricky but only took 15 mins..

When we first had the engine running and then filled with water , we noticed that there was a small water leak weeping from the pipe that runs the length from front to back (comes from the radiator ). Investigated this problem - disconnected the clip and removed the rubber from the alloy connector pipe ... and found that the alloy pipe was corroded at one end ; could not see this with the rubber pipe in place ... a very good find , see photo .

New pipe ordered .

Thats all for now, and i hope it wont be too long until i can post again ...

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Oh my that is some serious corosion! The car is getting some good TLC. You will have some good fun driving it upcoming summer :D Did everything work out with the clutch master cilinder seals?

12. porchnut

porchnut Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2014
    Tucson, AZ
    Full Name:
    Andrew Bober

+1

Andy

13. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Seals not arrived yet ... hoping for them soon ...

14. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    They have to come from Brasil....

Guido

15. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    :D

16. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #93 theunissenguido, Nov 27, 2015
    Time goes fast. Letter send 19/11. Cant help it is'nt going faster. Its send "Registrado Urgente". Postman told me every letter has to be x-rayed because of the terrorist madness.

Guido

17. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I just see you are one of the few that also took out the pilot bearing ;)

18. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Thought it would be silly not too ...

19. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Correct!
    In my workshop (big trucks), the pilot bearings are changed every time. They cost next to nothing and they (almost) never fail. Shaft seal is the same story.

But if they fail, you're in for a big unnecessary job.

Good job!

20. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Leighton, if you still have the bell housing off might I suggest you replace all the crank sensors. This is because they can get brittle and can break up when you try to remove them, This happened to me AFTER I did my clutch, the sensor was jammed in the block and I knew it was going to fall into the bell housing but there was nothing I could do to prevent it. Result was to remove the clutch and flywheel AGAIN just to retreve the broken sensor. Ifyou have replaced the bell housing then just leave the sensors alone.
    Regards Bell Bloke

PS. I trust you did replace your leaking rear crank seal.....;-)

21. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    In your video I hat that impression, when taking off or put it back that flywheel, it always hits that sensor on the left side....short after you did have problems with the sensor I believe.
    So, good advise to remove the sensors...

Guido

PS : I like all your videos !

22. Leighton360

Leighton360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    South Wales UK
    Hi Bell .. Bell housing back on now , but i did check the condition of the sensors. All looked good with them so they were left in place ..

I did change the oil seal as well ..

Thanks for the advice and comments guys .. always welcome .

23. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hi Guido, no the sensors were fine after I did the clutch, the problem stated when a few weeks later a wire came detached from one of them due to age and being disturbed after the clutch work.
    The sensor broke appart when being removed due to in being seized in, result was the flywheel had to be removed again just to get at the debris in the bell housing and behind the flywheel. Oh well these things happen sometime.
    Hey glad you like the videos, regards Bell ;-)