proportion of 812/F12 with race seats | FerrariChat

proportion of 812/F12 with race seats

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BusterX, Jan 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    In the past 6 months or so of my search for an F12 (maybe 812), I've noticed that the number of cars speced with the race seats is lower than I would otherwise expect.

At least here in Canada, as far as I can tell, it's probably 10-15% that got them. I'm surprised by this. I actually did the pepsi challenge at the dealer here in Calgary when they had two in stock, and I much preferred the feel of the race seats over the standard ones. (The classic sit "in" the seats vs sit "on" the seats).

Were people worried about resale? Did the dealers discourage people optioning them with the race seats?

It's going to make find a car much more difficult than I expected...especially since there are often under ten F12s for sale in Canada at any given time.

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    In the US when I ordered my 812 I originally spaced the race seats. I was not in anyway discouraged by my sales associate from doing so. After thinking about it more, I opted for the full electric seats as it suits the type of driving I do with the car. The full electrics aren’t bad bolstering wise, sure it’s not a race bucket, but still holds fairly well. I also found it to be more comfortable

LARRYH likes this.
  3. BusterX

BusterX Karting

Aug 24, 2016
    I haven't tried the 812 seats, but from the pictures it looks like the regular 812 seats are bolstered a bit better than the F12 seats. Have you checked both?

4. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I haven’t been in an F12 to compare, so I’m not sure if they are bigger bolsters on the 812. I attached a picture for reference with the bolstering not even at maximum.

In my opinion race bucket style seats belong only in track cars. OEM bucket seats are at least a little more comfortable, but I hate them on road cars. I’ve had track cars with aftermarket bucket seats, and it is miserable to deal with driving on the road. Plus bucket seats are on slider with no risers unless optioned. And as a tall person, it sucks for short people if I want to let them drive the car. Also, you’ll have to find out which size bucket was ordered. I believe there are 2 sizes and not everyone will fit well in one or the other.

As hard as it may be, you should probably go and try to sit in each seat and also drive a car with each seat. Seats are all personal preference, and it’s all just opinion. Find what works best for you
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

BusterX and 430jm like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Full electric seats in 812 are much more comfortable than same in F12.
    For my GTS spec I’m leaning toward CF racing Daytona style seats.

ScottS, Thecadster and Avia11 like this.
  7. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    First, "the race seat" is not a race seat in the truest sense. It would be much more correct to call it a sport seat. I have had the full power Daytona option with inflatable bladders and currently have the Goldrake design race seat.
    Go sit in a McLaren Senna seat or Porsche's optional carbon fiber seat and you will know what I mean. The Ferrari race seat bolster is not even as pronounced as my old standard 430 seat. I love the race seat.
    BUT, and it is a big but, I have previously posted that everybody's body morphology and what they find to be comfortable is widely variable. Yes, you must sit in the seat to know which one is optimal for you.
    Next, because the race seat leather is literally adherent to the seat - meaning no soft bendable edges - if you are careful that seat will look new - like mine - 8 years in. The more luxury seat tends to break down at the corners very easily causing color and stitching to look shabby only 1-2 years in. A disgrace from Ferrari in my opinion.
    Lastly, there are 3 sizes: S,M,L available. In all the years I have been around Ferrari I think I have seen only one with the size M. Virtually all are "large". I should have ordered the M with my body size but ordered L for the obligatory "next buyer" nonsense. Truth of the matter is the large is fine despite my size 38 chest. However, if you are a really big guy, you may find the large are too snug. They are not commodious like the regular seat.
    Best

ScottS and Thecadster like this.
  8. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Race seats sit a bit lower than standard seats in F12. Important when taller than 6’5”

Thecadster and mdrums like this.
  9. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I find your comments so interesting regarding the race seats on the Ferrari's, I have sat in those seats and my first comment to a friend of mine was these race seats are so nice compared to the race seats in the Porsche which require you to be a gymnast to get in or out of them , I was amazed how nice they were, plus they look killer imo.

sampelligrino likes this.