Prospective New Ferrari Owner with some questions about the F12 | FerrariChat

Prospective New Ferrari Owner with some questions about the F12

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by fkim119, Oct 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Hi All,
    I just want to start off by saying this forum has a great deal of knowledge that has taught me more things about the F car that I could of ever imagined. I have read so many different threads on a wide array of topics trying to educate myself as a first time prospective Ferrari buyer but I still need a bit of clarification and some opinions from the members of this board.

1. Are cars without AFS a dealbreaker for you?

2. What amount of brake wear reading is considered "normal" for an F12 driven 5k? The cars that I have seen the PPI on has ranged from 7MM to 10MM. I'm wondering if a reading of 7MM would indicate someone who has driven the car really hard or possible abuse in comparison to something that falls within 8-10mm.

3. If price and mileage being equal. Would you go for the new model year with lower spec options or the older car with a higher spec option. For example 2014 F12 VS 2016 F12.

4. Buying a used Ferrari, is the Ferrari power warranty a must?

I am doing my due diligence with my research and hopefully asking the dealerships the right questions but any other guidance would be appreciated.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Welcome to the family in advance of your pending purchase.

1. No , the real question is it a deal breaker for you? You are the one that is going to be driving it!
    2. F12 brakes are not measured by mm , they are measured by time, using specialized equipment to get said reading. Visually, you cannot tell.
    3. I would go for the car with the most warranty left. But that's just me, the 2016 would have warranty left ( maybe ) and you could extend the factory warranty another year or 2!

Its your car, what do YOU want?

Have fun with your search!

S

3. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you for your reply. Would the extension of the warranty be the "Ferrari Power Warranty" or is it labeled something else?

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    If the car you chose is still under the 3 year warranty, you have the option of extending the factory warranty into its 4th and/or 5th year.
    This is an extension of the factory warranty

New Power Warranty , is a lesser version of coverage, but still a good policy to have, kinda like health insurance on yourself... it covers the expensive stuff!

S

fkim119 likes this.
  5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Your question 1) and 2) I can't answer accurately therefore is better not to say anything.

3) If price, mileage and condition are equal I would choose the older car with a higher spec option. The F12 when it was sold new could be equipped with original Ferrari extras amounting easily up to $150 K on top of the car base price. There are some cars for sale which are poorly equipped in terms of options and that must be taken into consideration when comparing them with the well equipped cars. The carbon fiber accessories like the steering wheel , the dashboard vents and the console really enhance the visual quality of the interior. In the exterior the carbon fibre extras like the front spoiler, the doors underneath trims, the rear diffuser help to enhance the looking of the car. Personally I also think the diamond wheels are the ones that look better on the F12.

4) The original factory warranty is valid for 3 years and when it ends IMO is compulsory to have the extended power warranty. May be that's because I've had a bad experience with another Ferrari which was diagnosed a faulty sensor in the DCT gear-box. The gear-box was removed twice and everything was done by the dealer with Ferrari supervision under the existing extension power warranty. If I didn't have that extension warranty the bill would have been well above $ 10 K.

Good luck on your search….

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  6. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Your reply to my answer #4 is what makes me want to get the warranty.

I think you're right. The higher spec car would probably be what I would lean towards and equip it with the Power Warranty.

Does the maintenance cover CCB?

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The CCB are brakes, so they are (unfortunately) considered disposable, and definitely not covered by anything (maintenance nor guarantee). A Ferrari dealer is supposed to be able to provide the percentage of wear of the discs; they should last a long time unless the car is tracked.
    The warranty extension is pretty expensive (specially for the V12 cars), so you could avoid it if you are a gambler - I think in most cases you'll save money by not taking it, but with bad luck the costs will make you regret not taking it (since a few major problems will cause stratospheric bills).

fkim119 likes this.
  8. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    SAFE4NOW and fkim119 like this.
  9. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you all for your insights and generous replies.

10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    For 12 Cyl cars ONLY :

$8,700.00 1st year warranty extension
    $13,200.00** 4th + 5th year warranty extension
    $5,760.00** Year to Year new power warranty 6th year to 15th year

** Before any applicable discounts up to $570 + $570 year over year!

11. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    As others have said the first two are up to you. Recently I faced the same dilemma and did an analysis of the financial implications of the two different choices and it seem to me that a lower newer car with warranty was a better choice for me. One thing to keep in mind is not only the spec, but the miles and what your intent is for your use moving forward.

As others have said, the warranty in whatever form the car is eligible is a reasonable idea to consider but there are repairs not covered and these cars are expensive. On my Cali, the AC went. The work was 4200 all in, covered under new power. My motor mounts went= that’s on me. On FF the transmission had the sensor repaired under warranty with part of the gearbox replaced. 14 K under warranty. These cars are expensive and stuff not even factor in the consumables the tires etc. that will invariably occur.

I think you find the car that meets your needs with a minimum spec as a minimum. Make a list what you think is important to you. It may be an LED steering wheel and forged wheels,AFS, and lifter. Or CF everything. Race seats. ? So it doesn’t matter If the Msrp was 360 or 415. I will however say this: seems like you pay more for higher spec car and if that does not provide value or utility to you there’s no point in paying the premium. I elected to go for a 2016 rather than a 2014 for a number of reasons although the base car is essentially the same. I also thought given that I actually drive my cars maybe3-5k per year that I did not want a 15000 mile or higher example because in 2-3 years , I would be left with a car with 25-30k miles that is impossible to sell or worth very little as a trade or wholesale. I take very good care of my cars and that seems to not matter when the miles go above 20 or 25,000 in Ferrari’s.

That said there are some seriously Optioned f12s with 15 to 20,000 miles got a real bargains if you’re interested. I’d be happy to point you in the direction as I discussed these cars with their selling places and people shopping. . To each their own and whatever you want to do it only matters that is OK with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. fkim119

fkim119 Rookie

May 17, 2016
    Orange County, CA
    I would love to have a conversation via PM about the experiences you had and that cars you've seen. I am not sure how to PM on here as I don't see the function anywhere. Thanks!

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Pm sent. Check under profiles and view conversations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    I was just quoted $14,300 for the 4th and 5th year. Are these negotiable? Do other dealers offer better pricing by region?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    The pricing above is " MSRP " , there is minimal mark up at MSRP, so it is possible that some may adjust the price to allow some % of profit.

You may ask , what is included in the $14,300 price. They may include a full detail or warranty inspection..

S