Protection | FerrariChat

Protection

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Themaven, Apr 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Maranellos seem to be particularly susceptible to damage by stone chips - my 575 has picked up a couple of noticeable ones on its bonnet/hood and front bumper - due I guess to the low long front.

As driving season approaches, I'm thinking of getting the front of the car (wings, bonnet, front area) covered with a protective film. Does anyone have experience of applying these after-market, to their Maranello? Any tips appreciated. My 430 has this, but it was applied at the original supplying dealer.

2. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    My entire 575 is wrapped in xpel ultimate film; and the satin sections (under front valence/back of bonnet/under read bumper) covered with a satin film. Has been great; so easy to take care of a black car now. Best to have paint corrected first, then wrap. Choosing your installer is key.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #3 F355 Fan 82, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    I did mine right after buying it. Very complex, took 3 guys around 6 hours for them to do. The hood was so long they couldn't do one piece, but had to customize it so there's 2 pieces and when you're up close you will see a line near the top of the hood, not a big deal for me, car needed protection.

The mirrors they tried twice to put a cover on and they kept coming off, the problem is there is no precut for them. The guy I use is the best in miami and he does alot of work for some high end car dealerships. Its great, but just letting you know there is no way to do it without it being 2 pieces, the guy actually said it was the longest hood he's seen.

Like poster above said, paint correction is ideal first before you wrap. Xpel is the best, but suntek is good too. I would also tint the windows, I just did the windows on mine this week because you want to keep the heat out from shrinking the dash.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I wish i had also done behind the wheels!

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you, guys. This is probably a question for another section, but I was always a bit wary of paint correction/machine polishing as I thought it was, ultimately, scraping away the top layer of tarnished paint, time and again? Or is that imbecilic of me to think so?

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    And thank you for the words of wisdom about the complexity of the job. I will be sure to find someone well recommended. I can imagine a badly applied layer will look like a bubbling screen protector on a phone, not a good look.

7. Jürgen Geisler

Jürgen Geisler Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2015
    Good old Europe
    Full Name:
    Jürgen
    Darius, as my 550 has been ordered in one of the most difficult colors, blue pozzi, finally I decided to do the paint correction without using a protection film/foil. In case, I get an stone chip, I cure it by using a Touch-up paint stick, very fine abrasive paper and a good polishing equipment…

Afterwards the stone chips are practically non visible andy more

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting, thank you Juergen. I guess TDF and Pozzi are both quite difficult (but very pretty..)

Looks like I need to do paint correction first, then the protection, then

9. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The problem with ferrari is they don't sell touch up paint bottles which every other dealer on earth does. I have a couple battle scars as I call them and was a bit put off with the service department at my ferrari dealer scoffing at the idea of a touchup paint bottle. Ask your guy if there is any way he can make it with 1 long sheet, my guy said its not possible but I dont really understand why not? Im not in that business but I definitely think 1 long sheet without the tiny line would be way better.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think it depends on the type of paint used and the method of polish. A single stage paint I believe was used for a long time and included the F355s (at least the early ones). When it oxidizes, it loses its shine. When polishing, it removes the top layer of that paint and then smooths what's left below. The polishing pad picks up the color of the car during this process.

On two stage (base coat-clear coat), you smooth out scratches in the clear coat and that goes down and you don't go into the base coat (paint color). Any scratches that extend through the clear and into the base paint cannot be buffed out as that base coat is damaged. You can see primer and sometimes metal if deep enough. The color of the paint should not be taken up by polishing pad in this type of painted car.

11. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    F355, I had no problem getting touch up paint from the dealer in Toronto. Gave them my paint code and they had it ready in a few days. No Ferrari logo on the bottle, maybe they get it from a paint shop?

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    It certainly looks like it. That doesn’t look like Ferrari factory product

13. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    The 575 and all late model front engine cars all have hood widths larger then 60" so no mater what way you lay the film it won't cover in 1 peice. A smaller narrow peice of film up by the windshield is common on all 575's . Mine is like that too.
    As far as touch up paint goes there are places online to get it or you can just go to a high end body shop and pay for it. I would avoid going to a collision shop that does high volume repairs. They can't be bothered with helping out guys like us.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  14. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    gutviz likes this.
  15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    My dealer has quoted £1800 for this, Sure Guard, including mirrors. They are a very respected body shop and restorer, Joe Macari in London. That also includes a machine polish. If it's 18 hour labour, per the above, that seems reasonable, I think. What does anyone else think? I'm still in 2 minds. But it's hard to touch up stone chips perfectly.

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Money wise I paid $1100 US dollars, 1800 pounds is way too much. 18 hours of labor? I guess if its 1 guy bc mine was 3 guys x 6-7 hours so that makes sense but if its 3 guys thats alot man.

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- Sounds reasonable to me when it includes a paint correction and likely repainting the front and possibly rear bumper. Will cost me that much to get my bumpers painted, most likely.

18. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Darius, you might like to talk to the Reep Group (http://www.reepgroup.co.uk/).

I have no experience of their film work (they did a detail on my 575M) but they seem to deal with some very yaluable cars.

John

19. Caledon

Caledon Rookie

Jun 9, 2015
    UK
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Darius, I had my tdf 575 detailed and then partially filmed as owing to the reasons referenced in this thread it is not possible to stretch a single piece of film over the bonnet (we I tried but it failed), complicated further by the scoop. I did however find a matching paint which the detailer used to blend out the stone chips and then put ppf on the front bumper, sides, sills and mirrors. The results were great. You are welcome to have a look if you want as the car is based in Oxfordshire. Work was done in Bicester ( Charles at Autowaxworks).

20. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Darius, Have a chat with Ed at Divine detail:- http://www.divinedetail.co.uk/

He's in Surrey and looks after both my current cars. He also works for a lot of the high end dealers in London.

Ed is the kind of guy that Joe Macari would sub the work out to, may as well go direct. I do.

He looks after a lot of Ferrari's.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Thank you everyone. Super helpful. I will contact those 2 companies above and see how it goes.

22. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I needed some touch-up paint for my 550, so called in to my local dealer. They, too, said they don't stock touch up paint kits - none available. Fortunately, I had my car with me: half an hour and two cups of coffee later I was on my way, with the job done by one of their techs. No charge.

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    In the end I asked the dealer to do the touch up, machine polish, and wrap of the front half of the car and wing mirrors. Got it back yesterday, and all is looking good. The total cost was £1500; I'd have saved a little by splitting the labour between me, a detailer, and a wrap place, but the time cost alone in doing all of that would not have been worth it. Also I barely trust myself to change a light bulb, let alone touch in a mark in a prominent place on a 575. And also, having the dealer do it all is better for redress if anything goes wrong, one existing relationship (with the supplying dealer) rather than new ones.

The car had its annual service and check up at the same time. Now into my fourth year of ownership and it has been as reliable as any of my new cars. The issue with the doors unlocking themselves was traced and cured as follows:

"Checked for central locking system, customer reports it sometimes does not seem to function fully. Traced to a seized rod linkage in the passenger door, removed panel and free off working".

The cost for that was £125, which is reasonable given central London labour rates (less than an hour labour).

I also asked them to check for this, and they concluded as follows, with zero charge.

"Checked for ticking type noise heard from engine when starting from cold, customer not sure if it is normal. Suspect this is the extra air system normal operation, this noise stopped after several minutes."

Now for some driving. Oh, wait, I have a job, and two kids to be taken to activities at weekends. I'm trying to encourage the kids to find weekend activities on the other side of the country.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  24. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Perhaps most of the good advice here comes from sun bleached California or Florida ?.........maybe only the sun's effect to worry about.

Here in England we get the lot, weather-wise, and sometimes all extremes in one day too. ! Although I have my own workshop, I wouldn't tackle wrapping any of my cars. I checked recently with another company who did have this work done, and they didn't recommend it. It didn't last very long before problems arrived, leading to very unhappy customers. So, I'll be dealing with stonechips as per normal, and when a re-paint, or partial repaint is required....just bite the bullet.
    My 575 is black, so not so bad to deal with.
    Another point they mentioned is that once wrapped......that's it...no more polishing to admire..........film can surely, only degenerate ?....so, how long before you are back to square one..?
    I'd rather put the 1500/2000 ££££'s towards a good paint job, and carry on admiring my own polishing efforts........one reason for buying it,.....All my own work !

Bluebottle likes this.
  25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i dont disagree. the new craze is people spending thousands to wax/ceramic the film which is mind boggling to me.

to the OP - if you drive your car a bunch there is nothing wrong with using the film. Its temporary so you can always change your mind. on a car driven a few weekends of the year i wldnt bother.